+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5898Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #5661
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,118

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I took this week off from tutoring. I needed a break! Tutoring can be very draining, I found out, especially since it includes so many other "social work" things. I have to admit that I am looking forward to seeing the "little darlings" next week, but I needed the break to remind me of that. My latest, most fun discussion was on whether Santa Claus is real or not. Sometimes it can be difficult to keep a straight face. There is one little boy whose father walked out on his family (went to the store, and called to say he wouldn't be back), just a little while ago, and he is the only boy in the family (he has 3 sisters). He has taken to coming up and giving me quick, phantom hugs, and bringing me little presents. I've been told he can be very volatile. I was named the person least likely to have children in high school. Kids seem to think I am very nice.....I keep telling them that I am not, that I am mean! They just giggle, and go on their merry ways. Oh well..........
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  2. #5662
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2688286;
    I took this week off from tutoring. I needed a break! Tutoring can be very draining, I found out, especially since it includes so many other "social work" things. I have to admit that I am looking forward to seeing the "little darlings" next week, but I needed the break to remind me of that. My latest, most fun discussion was on whether Santa Claus is real or not. Sometimes it can be difficult to keep a straight face. There is one little boy whose father walked out on his family (went to the store, and called to say he wouldn't be back), just a little while ago, and he is the only boy in the family (he has 3 sisters). He has taken to coming up and giving me quick, phantom hugs, and bringing me little presents. I've been told he can be very volatile. I was named the person least likely to have children in high school. Kids seem to think I am very nice.....I keep telling them that I am not, that I am mean! They just giggle, and go on their merry ways. Oh well..........
    Happens to me too. My daughter recently told me after all the kids I've been teaching at the museum: "mom, you make them behave and have fun and they don't realize you are being mean. They really love you, but you don't take anything off them and they still like you". I took it as a compliment.

    I really admire all you teachers. I really love working with kids. I loved being a girl scout leader and sunday school teacher and I love the kids at the museum. But I don't think I could do this every day all day. You teachers have my utmost respect and admiration. If I were teaching full time, I would have to bite off somone's head, be it administration or a kid eventually.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  3. #5663
    FORT Fogey misskitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the Kat House in Kanada
    Posts
    7,704

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    prhoshay and myrosiedog: Thank goodness for even backhanded compliments!

    superbrat: So you are a food psychic? What am I having for supper? (Even I don't know )

    I was out shopping yesterday and a bit today with my twin sinister. I think I've been in the house by myself for too long. I was getting anxious with all the people swarming everywhere! There were some good sales (not as good as yours south of the border) but I just felt I had to get out of there.

    There are racks and tables in all the aisles and even though people are quite pleasant, the bumping, walking sidesways, and having no where to walk between merchandise was just too much for me. I need room to breathe.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

  4. #5664
    Me and my shadow Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Always together.
    Posts
    12,942

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2689714;
    So you are a food psychic? What am I having for supper?
    OMG! Flashback! My grandmother used to babysit us a lot growing up and we had a game called "Guess what I'm eating?" Sometimes there would be 7 grandchildren around her kitchen table...Guess what I'm eating! Guess what I'm eating! (She had to close her eyes). That woman was a saint. Every grandchild came to her funeral and not one of us could remember her raising her voice or getting angry. She used time outs very effectively and without getting mad.
    Count your blessings!

  5. #5665
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Gutmutter, you made me have a flashback too. When we were 8 or 9 years old, my sister and a couple of friends and I would play "Taste Test" where we would blindfold each other and try to guess what we were tasting--could be anything from leftover meat loaf to salt to Worchestershire sauce to...whatever. Kind of like what Chef Ramsey does now on Hell's Kitchen sometimes, only we never had such fancy things to taste in our fridges!

    And aren't most grandmothers saints? I see my Mom being one to her grandkids now--I guess we wore her out for them!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  6. #5666
    runs with scissors waywyrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    20,884

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I guess this is as good a place to ask as any: those of you with wood-burning fireplaces, do you use a fireback? Does it help radiate the heat out into the room at all? I know they are supposed to help protect the brick, too, but I was wondering if they really do throw some heat out.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

  7. #5667
    FORT Fogey misskitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the Kat House in Kanada
    Posts
    7,704

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Guttmutter: we played that game in Guides and Brownies. What memories; bad tasting ones

    waywyyrd: What is a fireback? I have a wood burning fireplace. It has a black mesh screen that you can draw across and two glass doors that also close the entire firebox off from the room. Ther are vents at the top and bottom which lets heat come into the room, but there is no fan in it. Is that any help?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

  8. #5668
    FORT Fogey canadian_angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    the province with the really long name
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,711

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Guttmutter, I have to admit something. I come to this thread to see if there are any new additions to the Dan saga. I feel bad for it, but they're so interesting.

  9. #5669
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Welcome 2008!
    Posts
    536

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2690805;
    I guess this is as good a place to ask as any: those of you with wood-burning fireplaces, do you use a fireback? Does it help radiate the heat out into the room at all? I know they are supposed to help protect the brick, too, but I was wondering if they really do throw some heat out.
    We don't have one in our fireplace but in a quick search, it does seem to have it's merits. Facts about Firebacks

  10. #5670
    runs with scissors waywyrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    20,884

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Thanks for the link, bewty. I'll check it out when I get home, the internet is unbelievably slow here at work. Everyone must be doing their Cyber Monday shopping.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.