+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5898Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I took this week off from tutoring. I needed a break! Tutoring can be very draining, I found out, especially since it includes so many other "social work" things. I have to admit that I am looking forward to seeing the "little darlings" next week, but I needed the break to remind me of that. My latest, most fun discussion was on whether Santa Claus is real or not. Sometimes it can be difficult to keep a straight face. There is one little boy whose father walked out on his family (went to the store, and called to say he wouldn't be back), just a little while ago, and he is the only boy in the family (he has 3 sisters). He has taken to coming up and giving me quick, phantom hugs, and bringing me little presents. I've been told he can be very volatile. I was named the person least likely to have children in high school. Kids seem to think I am very nice.....I keep telling them that I am not, that I am mean! They just giggle, and go on their merry ways. Oh well..........
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2688286;
    I took this week off from tutoring. I needed a break! Tutoring can be very draining, I found out, especially since it includes so many other "social work" things. I have to admit that I am looking forward to seeing the "little darlings" next week, but I needed the break to remind me of that. My latest, most fun discussion was on whether Santa Claus is real or not. Sometimes it can be difficult to keep a straight face. There is one little boy whose father walked out on his family (went to the store, and called to say he wouldn't be back), just a little while ago, and he is the only boy in the family (he has 3 sisters). He has taken to coming up and giving me quick, phantom hugs, and bringing me little presents. I've been told he can be very volatile. I was named the person least likely to have children in high school. Kids seem to think I am very nice.....I keep telling them that I am not, that I am mean! They just giggle, and go on their merry ways. Oh well..........
    Happens to me too. My daughter recently told me after all the kids I've been teaching at the museum: "mom, you make them behave and have fun and they don't realize you are being mean. They really love you, but you don't take anything off them and they still like you". I took it as a compliment.

I really admire all you teachers. I really love working with kids. I loved being a girl scout leader and sunday school teacher and I love the kids at the museum. But I don't think I could do this every day all day. You teachers have my utmost respect and admiration. If I were teaching full time, I would have to bite off somone's head, be it administration or a kid eventually.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

prhoshay and myrosiedog: Thank goodness for even backhanded compliments!

superbrat: So you are a food psychic? What am I having for supper? (Even I don't know )

I was out shopping yesterday and a bit today with my twin sinister. I think I've been in the house by myself for too long. I was getting anxious with all the people swarming everywhere! There were some good sales (not as good as yours south of the border) but I just felt I had to get out of there.

There are racks and tables in all the aisles and even though people are quite pleasant, the bumping, walking sidesways, and having no where to walk between merchandise was just too much for me. I need room to breathe.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2689714;
    So you are a food psychic? What am I having for supper?
    OMG! Flashback! My grandmother used to babysit us a lot growing up and we had a game called "Guess what I'm eating?" Sometimes there would be 7 grandchildren around her kitchen table...Guess what I'm eating! Guess what I'm eating! (She had to close her eyes). That woman was a saint. Every grandchild came to her funeral and not one of us could remember her raising her voice or getting angry. She used time outs very effectively and without getting mad.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter, you made me have a flashback too. When we were 8 or 9 years old, my sister and a couple of friends and I would play "Taste Test" where we would blindfold each other and try to guess what we were tasting--could be anything from leftover meat loaf to salt to Worchestershire sauce to...whatever. Kind of like what Chef Ramsey does now on Hell's Kitchen sometimes, only we never had such fancy things to taste in our fridges!

And aren't most grandmothers saints? I see my Mom being one to her grandkids now--I guess we wore her out for them!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I guess this is as good a place to ask as any: those of you with wood-burning fireplaces, do you use a fireback? Does it help radiate the heat out into the room at all? I know they are supposed to help protect the brick, too, but I was wondering if they really do throw some heat out.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Guttmutter: we played that game in Guides and Brownies. What memories; bad tasting ones

waywyyrd: What is a fireback? I have a wood burning fireplace. It has a black mesh screen that you can draw across and two glass doors that also close the entire firebox off from the room. Ther are vents at the top and bottom which lets heat come into the room, but there is no fan in it. Is that any help?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Guttmutter, I have to admit something. I come to this thread to see if there are any new additions to the Dan saga. I feel bad for it, but they're so interesting.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2690805;
    I guess this is as good a place to ask as any: those of you with wood-burning fireplaces, do you use a fireback? Does it help radiate the heat out into the room at all? I know they are supposed to help protect the brick, too, but I was wondering if they really do throw some heat out.
    We don't have one in our fireplace but in a quick search, it does seem to have it's merits. Facts about Firebacks

Thanks for the link, bewty. I'll check it out when I get home, the internet is unbelievably slow here at work. Everyone must be doing their Cyber Monday shopping.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread