+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5667Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;2683055;
    Thanks, MRD and Gutmutter for the advice. I really like the idea about making copies. I'll need to try that and see how well it works - some of the paper is very yellowed and the writing is kind of hard to read, so I might need to play around with copier settings a bit to see what works.

MRD - I knew that what I had was beyond value to me, personally, but I hadn't even fathomed that anyone else - like a local historical society or war museum - would be intersted in them. I might check that out. In the same bag there was also a map - all in Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese lettering where it looked like my grandmother - or someone - wrote translations for all of the symbols on it. Maybe they could even give me some insight as to what that is.

Gutmutter - I'm sorry that you're in a bad mood . . . is it Dan? I've been following what you've been going through with him, and I hope that things are getting better. Whatever the cause for your bad mood, I hope that it gets better. If not, I'm about to pour a nice cold glass of white wine . . . care to join me?

I know that the stuff donated to the museum I'm at is of great value to us as we use it in our educational program and also some of it is in the exhibits. But I'd definetly talk to someone about it. The map could actually prove to be valuable money wise as well, depending on its origin.
    But I know that what we have had donated has been of great value for other purposes and not just in monetary value. I have newspapers from armistice day, VE day and VJ day and the museum has copied them for use and told me that I should check into possibly getting them valued as they might even be worth some $$. I have other stuff that since I've been volunteering there, I've found out has been of GREAT historical value (not monetary value) and they have been making copies of some of it. Our WW II vets are dying out and memorabilia especially letters are really special as it does give daily insight into the times. I urge you to read Letters from Nuremburg because it will help you see just how great your letters are.
    There is another book of letters recently published called My Father's Secret War. So time period journals and letters are becoming very popular right now and I'm sure that while you would not like to part with them, that maybe the content and copies would help out a museum or historical society.

The kids I've been working with love hearing real accounts. I have some postcards of my grandfather's from WW One and we have used copies of several of them and they love reading what he's written and ask me a lot of questions about him. He was a medic with the army in France. So I think sometimes having a personal touch makes things more interesting to the kids than just a history book. So yes, your letters may be of great value to others using them for historical purposes.

Make that 3 glasses of wine guys. Gut at least you had snowfall as an excuse. The kids I was working with today were just off the wall period. Possibly because they have no school tomorrow and today was a field trip day.
    I've answered enough questions about dead bodies and body parts to make me think this is Halloween and not Thanksgiving.

Question of the day from a 5th grader: "If you throw a dead body on a land mine and it blows up and the pieces go everywhere, will that spread disease?"
    Where do they think of this stuff?
    Last edited by MRD; 11-20-2007 at 08:23 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2682947;
    . . . While I on the other hand have to go around the block to get to the corner. . .
    Sometimes it takes me an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes . . .
    Make that 3 glasses of wine guys.
    Make that 4!!! (Taking care of post-op husband -- outpatient and okay, but you know how men are with any amount of pain. And it's partly my fault, 'cuz I spoil him!)
    Last edited by Ellen; 11-20-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Make that 5 glasses of wine -- ah better yet for me forget he wine, give me a glass of Dean Martins J & B Scotch
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Man, I am in charge of making the mashed potatoes for my family's thanksgiving dinner. I don't mind, since I get to make them my way lol. My grandma use to always make them... but she never put butter in them! What's mashed potatoes without BUTTER? I'm also making deviled eggs (a tradition in our family for ANY holiday lol) and a fruit salad.

Also, it is time to start writing out my christmas lists! Of what I want, what I am buying for who, and who I am sending christmas cards to. My sister actually found me Cristmas cards with elephants on them! I have been collecting elephants all my life. In fact, I told my mom when I move that she'll need to buy more ornaments as currently 2/3 of the tree is my elephant ornaments (yes, I have that man. I also have a makeshift elephant tree topper), and some cartoon character and penguin ornaments of mine. The only ones left are some of random bulbs that mysteriously servived, and some antique ornaments that belonged to my great grandma.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2684609;
    Man, I am in charge of making the mashed potatoes for my family's thanksgiving dinner. I don't mind, since I get to make them my way lol. My grandma use to always make them... but she never put butter in them! What's mashed potatoes without BUTTER? I'm also making deviled eggs (a tradition in our family for ANY holiday lol) and a fruit salad.

Also, it is time to start writing out my christmas lists! Of what I want, what I am buying for who, and who I am sending christmas cards to. My sister actually found me Cristmas cards with elephants on them! I have been collecting elephants all my life. In fact, I told my mom when I move that she'll need to buy more ornaments as currently 2/3 of the tree is my elephant ornaments (yes, I have that man. I also have a makeshift elephant tree topper), and some cartoon character and penguin ornaments of mine. The only ones left are some of random bulbs that mysteriously servived, and some antique ornaments that belonged to my great grandma.

Your tree sounds very cute. We too will lose a lot of ornaments when our daughter moves out.

I am not into Christmas at all this year. I really could care less about it. I don't want to shop, decorate or anything. This is really the first year I have felt scroogy about the holiay I usually LOVE.

Sounds like we had a drunken party on klatch last night.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2685028;
    Your tree sounds very cute. We too will lose a lot of ornaments when our daughter moves out.

I am not into Christmas at all this year. I really could care less about it. I don't want to shop, decorate or anything. This is really the first year I have felt scroogy about the holiay I usually LOVE.

Sounds like we had a drunken party on klatch last night.
    myrosiedog - Then by all means I don't think you should do anything about Christmas, if you do not feel like it. As for the party, not sure about the others but I actually fell asleep before it began.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2685048;
    myrosiedog - Then by all means I don't think you should do anything about Christmas, if you do not feel like it. As for the party, not sure about the others but I actually fell asleep before it began.
    Gabriel, I did too. I opted for a klonipin instead of a drink since there is no alcohol in the house except some really old kaluha that has sediment in the bottom so probably should just throw it out.

Well the ONLY problem with not wanting to do Christmas is that I now have 2 teenagers in the house (and they can do the decorations this year) that have already started about Christmas. But since both have retail jobs and both have to work Black Fri. I'm guessing they will be scrooges before the shopping season is over.
    I'd love to do what we did several years ago and just go away for the holiday. That year, we did not decorate, send cards, buy gifts, bake or anything else. Hubby said we actually saved money by going to Disney for 3 days at Christmas instead of doing all the normal Christmas things. Sounds really good to me this year too.

Oh, I'm sure once Thanksgiving is over, I'll get more in the spirit. I think its the tummy biopsy on Dec. 10 that is keeping me from getting into the Christmas spirit. Once that is done with, then maybe I will feel more holiday-ish.
    That and I've come to HATE the house we are in. IT's so dark and cramped and now the living room has become storage and so my usual decorating the house within an inch of its life, is not going to happen because well, I just don't have the room. And not sure if Waldo is going to leave the tree alone.

He had one of my daughter's leg warmers this morning, carrying it around like a prize Hubby called him a maniac which was slightly funny before coffee.

I guess part of my problem is that we are so far away from any family (which I don't know why I'm thinking that matters as I really don't want to be with any of the family we have left). I guess I'm missing all the people that usually congregated around the holidays. And our friends that we did so much with.

Yeah, I'm feeling somewhat sorry for myself today. I'll get over it soon I'm sure.

And not sure if Waldo is going to leave the tree alone
    Wow, Mom! Just what I always wanted--indoor plumbing!!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2685132;
    Wow, Mom! Just what I always wanted--indoor plumbing!!
    That's exactly what I'm afraid of. That and his fascination with the pinecones and sticks from the pine trees in our yard.

MRD

I had to go have lab work today and got the most incompetent lab tech in the world. The ONLY good thing about today is that one of the tests, I have to have done means I have to go on a high fat diet for 72 hours. Now THAT is my kind of test! Good thing tomorrow is a high fat day in our house.
    They are testing for malabsorption. So get out the regular mayo, the butter and all that yummy fatty food, here I come!

+ Reply to Thread