+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5670Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

It's by far one of my favourite poems. We learned it as little wee ones and have always had to memorize it for Rememberance day. They air a commercial here every year in early November (and often throughout the year) playing a depiction of him writing it with a voice over reading it. I get goosebumps.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2680960;
    It's by far one of my favourite poems. We learned it as little wee ones and have always had to memorize it for Rememberance day. They air a commercial here every year in early November (and often throughout the year) playing a depiction of him writing it with a voice over reading it. I get goosebumps.
    When I do the WW One classes with the 5th graders, one of the things we talk about is how different life was in 1914-1918, with a lot of people still living without electricity and indoor plumbing and how no plane had yet to fly across the atlantic and how there was limited refrigeration and so it was just impractical to bring home the fallen troops and that they were buried near the battlefields. Then I read that poem and I always get goosebumps.

It is a very beautiful poem and I urge you to google it and read about how it came about and the dr. that wrote it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD - I thought about you the other day!

Knowing what a fan of WWI and WWII history you are, I came across some things from just after WWII the other day - which is what made me think of you!

My dad passed away four years ago, and my mom passed away last year, and I have been in the process of (slowly) going through boxes and bags of papers (mostly recipes!) when I found a bag full of old letters. I started going through them and was thrilled to find that they were letters my grandmother had written to my dad back when he was in the service (1946-1947) - my dad was 19 years old at the time.

There are a little more than 100 letters total, and a lot of times my grandmother would include other things, like church bulletins, newspaper clippings (or whole pages) to keep my dad up to speed on the latest baseball scores, etc. In one letter, she even included a picture of a girl that I guess she knew with the comment of "Doesn't she have a cute figure!" Reading through these letters has given me a whole new insight into my grandmother and granddaddy - my grandmother would describe every detail going on in their lives - from the weather, to their friends, to what my granddaddy was doing in the yard that day, and even talked about the house they were going to build (which they did).

There are even a couple of letters from my dad to several different girls. Since he and my mom didn't get married until they were in their 30's, it has been fun to see that side of my dad!

But - I have a question that perhaps y'all can help me with. I am wanting to put together an album of all of the letters, envelopes, etc., and give it to my sister. She and I don't really get along very well at all - when my ex and I got divorced after 15 years of marriage because he decided he liked men better, for some reason I was the bad guy in her eyes, and she has remained VERY close to him, while shutting me out of her life. But, all of that aside, I know how much these letters would mean to her - they mean the world to me, and although my kids would get a kick out of reading them, I know that they would be an absolute treasure to her - as they are to me.

But here is my dilemma - there are over 100 letters, and each letter is three or four pages - front and back. I want to put them in sheet protectors where you can flip through the book and read both the front and back without having to take them out - some of them are really frail, some torn, etc. I went to one of the local craft stores, and to get a book and enough pages, it was getting rather expensive - a couple of hundred dollars. Do y'all have any other creative ideas about how I can accomplish this? I guess I could just put it in a three-ring binder with just plain sheet protectors, but I really wanted to make it look nice . . . and I don't have a creative gene in my body!

Any and all thoughts would be most welcome!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2678474;
    Miss Kitty and all other FORT Canadians. In doing some research on WW One for the museum, I found out that the poem, "In Flander's Fields" was written by a Canadian Doctor during a break from surgery. It's such a moving poem and what a great contribution and memorial that he wrote it. And it was almost thrown away.
    myrosiedog I've always known it was written by a Canadian on a scrap of paper that was almost never recognized...quite the story.

chrelsey: Wow. What a wonderful find for your family! Something to cherish for sure!

To Canadian Forters: Here's the site to send Christmas cards or gifts to our troops overseas in war zones, including Canadian Forces personal serving in Afghanistan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sinai and Jerusalem, and troops serving on any of the deployed Canadian ships.

Joy of Christmas Free mail delivery for Canadian troops overseas
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;2681984;
    MRD - I thought about you the other day!

Knowing what a fan of WWI and WWII history you are, I came across some things from just after WWII the other day - which is what made me think of you!

My dad passed away four years ago, and my mom passed away last year, and I have been in the process of (slowly) going through boxes and bags of papers (mostly recipes!) when I found a bag full of old letters. I started going through them and was thrilled to find that they were letters my grandmother had written to my dad back when he was in the service (1946-1947) - my dad was 19 years old at the time.

There are a little more than 100 letters total, and a lot of times my grandmother would include other things, like church bulletins, newspaper clippings (or whole pages) to keep my dad up to speed on the latest baseball scores, etc. In one letter, she even included a picture of a girl that I guess she knew with the comment of "Doesn't she have a cute figure!" Reading through these letters has given me a whole new insight into my grandmother and granddaddy - my grandmother would describe every detail going on in their lives - from the weather, to their friends, to what my granddaddy was doing in the yard that day, and even talked about the house they were going to build (which they did).

There are even a couple of letters from my dad to several different girls. Since he and my mom didn't get married until they were in their 30's, it has been fun to see that side of my dad!

But - I have a question that perhaps y'all can help me with. I am wanting to put together an album of all of the letters, envelopes, etc., and give it to my sister. She and I don't really get along very well at all - when my ex and I got divorced after 15 years of marriage because he decided he liked men better, for some reason I was the bad guy in her eyes, and she has remained VERY close to him, while shutting me out of her life. But, all of that aside, I know how much these letters would mean to her - they mean the world to me, and although my kids would get a kick out of reading them, I know that they would be an absolute treasure to her - as they are to me.

But here is my dilemma - there are over 100 letters, and each letter is three or four pages - front and back. I want to put them in sheet protectors where you can flip through the book and read both the front and back without having to take them out - some of them are really frail, some torn, etc. I went to one of the local craft stores, and to get a book and enough pages, it was getting rather expensive - a couple of hundred dollars. Do y'all have any other creative ideas about how I can accomplish this? I guess I could just put it in a three-ring binder with just plain sheet protectors, but I really wanted to make it look nice . . . and I don't have a creative gene in my body!

Any and all thoughts would be most welcome!
    What a treasure trove you've found. I bet it is fascinating reading them. (I'm so jealous)
    I would have them copied so you can either give her a set or keep one for yourself. If you were to use copies, then you could put them into regular protectors in a nice binder (and they actually do make some nice binders, check at craft stores and office supply stores). The reason I reccomend making copies is that for old letters like that, if they are not stored in "archival" safe albums, they will deteroriate faster once exposed to light and air. Believe it or not, keeping them in the boxes or trunks you found them in, keeps them a bit safer as they probably have not been as exposed to light and air as much.
    But even copying them since they are so many and so many pages is probably going to be expensive. But what you have is absolutely priceless anyway, so I would go the extra mile to preserve them so they don't get even more fragile.

I like the copying idea because that way, you both would have a set to keep and read over.

And I wouldn't worry about getting "creative" with them. Something like that stands alone and you don't need fancy papers and stuff, just something that showcases the actual letters.

What an amazing find. You also might want to talk to your local historical society or even a war museum, as they may wish to use copies as well. We use quite a bit of stuff like that in our education program and if it wasn't for families like yours donating or giving us copies, I wouldn't have so many visual aids to use.

I'm currently reading "Letters from Nuremberg" which are letters that one of the prosecturers at the war trials wrote to his wife and they are fascinating as they give daily glimpses into what was happening and aren't censored or written in retrospective, but while the events were unfolding. So many letters even from your family hold great historical significance today, so if you can, share them.

One of the hardest things I'm trying to get across to the kids I'm teaching is that war is NOT a video game. They are all into the blood and guts and weapons and I had to parlay a huge discussion on blowing people up today, because they want to know what happens when your hand is blown off and do your guts come out, etc. It really is kind of gruesome coming from 11 year olds. I'm really trying to make them understand that this happened to REAL people. And having letters like that I think helps make it more real. So I urge you to share them for education purposes if you can. AND my museum bears the cost of copying if someone lets us use their stuff, so maybe that might help you defray some of the expense if you find an institution in your area that is interested in them.

I think your sister will be pleasantly surprised, but do keep a copy for yourself and your family. Or you could make some copies and use some originals so you both end up with some of the orignals and some copies.

I'm in a bad mood, so I'm not going to be as generous as rosiedog. I'd say, see if your historical society is interested in copying them. If they are, ask to make copies from those (so the originals aren't copied more than necessary). If that all works out, copy the copies to 2-sided pages and put them in clear protectors in a binder and give those to your sister. Keep the originals. They obviously mean a lot to you, and there's no telling whether she'll appreciate them as much as you do. It would be a horrible shame if she just tossed them in the attic and they got ruined somehow.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2682850;
    I'm in a bad mood, so I'm not going to be as generous as rosiedog. I'd say, see if your historical society is interested in copying them. If they are, ask to make copies from those (so the originals aren't copied more than necessary). If that all works out, copy the copies to 2-sided pages and put them in clear protectors in a binder and give those to your sister. Keep the originals. They obviously mean a lot to you, and there's no telling whether she'll appreciate them as much as you do. It would be a horrible shame if she just tossed them in the attic and they got ruined somehow.
    Hey, I like it. Short, sweet and to the point. While I on the other hand have to go around the block to get to the corner.
    I agree with Gut.

Thanks, MRD and Gutmutter for the advice. I really like the idea about making copies. I'll need to try that and see how well it works - some of the paper is very yellowed and the writing is kind of hard to read, so I might need to play around with copier settings a bit to see what works.

MRD - I knew that what I had was beyond value to me, personally, but I hadn't even fathomed that anyone else - like a local historical society or war museum - would be intersted in them. I might check that out. In the same bag there was also a map - all in Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese lettering where it looked like my grandmother - or someone - wrote translations for all of the symbols on it. Maybe they could even give me some insight as to what that is.

Gutmutter - I'm sorry that you're in a bad mood . . . is it Dan? I've been following what you've been going through with him, and I hope that things are getting better. Whatever the cause for your bad mood, I hope that it gets better. If not, I'm about to pour a nice cold glass of white wine . . . care to join me?
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Gut-I'm sorry you're in a bad mood. I was in a bad mood yesterday, and it was because of my job. I just wanted to tell my boss to go take a flying leap and walk right out the door. I work in a hospital as a nursing assistant well anyway the nurse from the night shift made out the assignments. She had me take care of patients from rooms 65-74 and the 89 AND 91 and the other aide had 87-88 plus 90-99 except 89 and 91 well he had it in his head that I had 90 as well, so I told him no and that I had too many pts. plus most of them were extremely heavy, but he didn't care about that. Then my husband comes downstairs from his floor to tell me he had to go home and that he wouldn't be working Thanksgiving. That just sent me over the edge, and I wanted to grab the person that did his schedule and ring her scrawny little neck.
    I hope you're mood improves.

Aw, thanks guys. Nothing goes unnoticed here. It's mostly because my students were off the wall today and I lost my temper 3 different times which I almost never do. Tomorrow is a half day before TG vacation and we had our first snowfall of the year which lasted all day long. Silly me thought we could still get a full day of learning in. That, and my mom e-mailed me to say she was disappointed in me and the way I'm handling the Dan situation. Hate to disappoint her, but it is touchy and not as black and white as it might seem. So thanks for making me feel better. I'll join you in that glass of wine chrelsey. Sorry you had a bad day, too Shaybo.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread