+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 2419 FirstFirst ... 64647484950515253545556575859606162636465661061565561056 ... LastLast
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David
    We make a point of alerting every guest to the gratuity when the check is presented. We make certain they know that 17% goes to the service provider and the remaining 3% goes to other staff. Even with the gratuity added the great percentage of guests still leave an additional tip.
    I'm just curious - why does 3% of that tip money go to other staff who did not service that particular client?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    In the spa there are receptionists, girls who wash hair, locker room attendants and others who provide services for the guest's overall Spa experience. Rather than having a tip jar at every post the 3% is included in all Spa services for those additional providers.

Because our Salon is part of the Spa everything that applies to the Spa applies to the Salon. These practices may not happen outside a Spa environment. Having never worked in a Salon I can't say.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

So UncleDavid: you've piqued my interest...what is it you do at the Spa?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I should also clarify that in restaurants where a tip is added onto a party of 6 or more the gratuity is usually 15% to 18%.

It is rare that an actual 20% gratuity is added on to a service of any kind. 18, 19 and 20% or higher should always be left up to the guest's discretion.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    We have a rare Spa. Ours is an Adventure Spa. In addition to the standard Spa services and fitness classes we also offer hiking, mountain and road biking, rock climbing, kayaking etc.

I'm known as Adventure Boy, Adventure Dude, Adventure Guy, et al.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    In the spa there are receptionists, girls who wash hair, locker room attendants and others who provide services for the guest's overall Spa experience. Rather than having a tip jar at every post the 3% is included in all Spa services for those additional providers.

Because our Salon is part of the Spa everything that applies to the Spa applies to the Salon. These practices may not happen outside a Spa environment. Having never worked in a Salon I can't say.
    That makes sense, there are a lot of people who provide services besides just the one person. I never think about the receptionist who books my appointments and calls to remind me the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Las Vegas has a significant number of visitors from around the world. Other countries, like Canada, have a different 'standard' tip. Even though they know the 'standard' tip here is different they insist on tipping based on their normal practice. Unfortunately
    Out of curiosity, what are people telling you is the standard tipping practice in Canada? I don't know about elsewhere, but in Toronto the standard is 15% to 20%, with 20% pretty much the norm these days, and that's what I tip everywhere (depending on service, of course). Actually, my barber gets a 33% tip, but that's because the poor old guy can't afford to retire and I feel sorry for him . I think that tipping is considered differently in Montreal and the rest of Quebec, but I believe that they operate on a European system with which I'm not familiar, so I still tip when I'm there.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

But where do you draw the line as to what's considered a service? Technically, any job one does is providing some sort of service to another. I thought tipping was for people who made less than minimum wage (which varies from state to state) and therefore the tip was supposed to make up the difference.

Don't receptionists typically make at least minimum wage and many times more than? I'm not against tipping in the food industry at all but my SIL told me, when her sons started working as baggers in a grocery store, that people were supposed to tip the baggers. But the baggers were making minimum wage and sometimes the cashier (who makes at least min wage) even has to bag. I've worked in miminum wage jobs where I wasn't expected to get tipped, and didn't get tipped. But I made the same as the baggers she was telling me I should tip. Well then what about all the other people who get at least minimum wage? Are we expected to tip everyone just for doing the job they're paid to do? The reward for doing a great job, in most cases, is promotions or even a better resume to find a higher paying job later.

I do tip the baggers at the commissary (military grocery store) because it's always been that way but I have no idea how much they make an hour. For all I know they could be getting at least minimum wage too. I also tip my hairdresser and waitstaff in restaurants

I'm not sounding defensive if it comes across that way. And I realize minimum wage isn't a liveable wage, but I just can't see tipping every single person who provides a service (McDonald's, person at the desk in an office or spa, cashier in any store, etc.). And I know tipping is discretionary in many cases but I really am wondering when do you tip, who do you tip, etc.?

Is it just food and spa industry? And if so, should it only be the one's whose salary is tied to tips? And how do you find out who is getting at least minimum wage and higher and who isn't?
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 07-31-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Women's locker-room surveillance--somebody has to do it!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I'm sorry but I won't be tipping the bagger person in the grocery store nor will I be tipping the receptionist in... well, anywhere.

The receptionist's job for which he/she is paid a salary is to actually pick up the phone, dial and let me know that I have an appointment. She's not doing me a favor, she is acting in the best interest of her employer who wants to make sure I drag myself to the salon/office/whatever on time so they can make more money off of me. If the owner didn't want a person to answer the phones or call me up, he could do it himself. But I still wouldn't leave a tip for that, sorry.

Waiters/bartenders/cab drivers/stylists I tip generously depending on how happy I am as I do with any person who does something personal for me like washes my hair, carries my bags, cleans my room, gives me a massage etc. Everyone else, sorry but no.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread