+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5806Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2665465;
    Sounds like you'd better make two!!!!
    I was thinking the same thing.

We used to have the parade of pies on Tgiving, but now that the crowd has thinned out (in more ways than one. ), I just do one: apple and I make a pumpkin bundt cake (why is it that ever since "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" I can't say or spell Bundt cake without cracking up and misprouncing it on purpose?)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Gutmutter -It seems almost as if your student is eating all this food because A) he'll never taste anything like it at home or B) He is a typical teen boy or C) he is afraid of being hungry

Oh and PS - make two pies

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2665519;
    Gutmutter -It seems almost as if your student is eating all this food because A) he'll never taste anything like it at home or B) He is a typical teen boy or C) he is afraid of being hungry

Oh and PS - make two pies
    You know, that reminds me of a story about my husband's adopted sister. She was born in Korea and lived in an orphange her whole young life and they mostly only ate rice. My FIL brought her to America when his tour was up and she was about 6 years old. She would not only hide food, but would eat dinner at their house (they ate at the ungodly hour of 4:30 p.m.) and then would manage to make it across the street to a friends for dinner there and then to another house down the block for a 3rd dinner almost every night. ANd she would eat what anyone left on their plate at her house. My husband said she was a great asset for times when they had something he didn't like and couldn't leave the table until "he" ate it.
    They had a really hard time of making her understand the food was not going to run out. And the disgusting thing is that I have seen her eat and she can put it away, let me tell you and only weights 99 pounds.

Anyway, I wonder if he comes from a similar situation where food is severely limited?? Or he may be a typical teenage boy with a big appetite.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Gut-Sounds to me like a typical teenager as far as the eating is concerned, but I think what you should do is after dinner have a chat with him. Tell him that he's a "member of the family" and as a member of the family he needs to start helping out around the house, and if he needs to borrow your CD player and your son's clothes all he has to do is ask. Also ask the manager to get a REAL profile on the boy from the mother. If she insists that the child is ok then take him to a doctor for a check up.

I can't remember if I told the story back when he arrived in mid-August about taking him to the grocery store so he could show me what kinds of food he likes. The high school guidance counselor had told me that Thai students have a hard time speaking up for their needs, so I kept reassuring him that whatever he chose I would get. Well he picked out a family size box of coke cans, cookie crisp cereal, double stuffed Oreos, Juicy Fruit gum, Heavenly Hash ice cream... you get the picture. I had a good laugh at myself at that one. What did I expect a (then 15-yr.-old) boy to chose? Healthy food? Then for a while I got instant bowls of Thai noodle meals, but that got too expensive. He does like Ramen noodles for an after school snack, so that's economical at least. He doesn't eat breakfast food. He eats dinner-type food in the morning. Anything leftover or frozen dinners. As skinny as he is I wouldn't be suprised if he has experienced food shortage. He eats hunched over his bowl like an ex-convict.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My Vietnamese nail tech, when asked what she ate for breakfast, said green beans and rice.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2666080;
    My Vietnamese nail tech, when asked what she ate for breakfast, said green beans and rice.
    Much better for you than Cap'n Crunch (or Coco Puffs or Rice Crispies or Honey Nut Cheerios or...you get the idea). Actually, a slice of vegetarian pizza is a better breakfast than most of the so-called breakfast foods.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I had my first go-round with falafel today. I was a very happy camper!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2666157;
    I had my first go-round with falafel today. I was a very happy camper!
    Also a healthier breakfast than Cap'n Crunch . Tasty, aren't they?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2666106;
    Much better for you than Cap'n Crunch (or Coco Puffs or Rice Crispies or Honey Nut Cheerios or...you get the idea). Actually, a slice of vegetarian pizza is a better breakfast than most of the so-called breakfast foods.
    Actually Rice Krispies and Honey Nut Cheerios aren't too bad.

Original Rice Krispies
    Calories 120
    Fat 0
    Sodium 320 mg (13%)
    Carbs 29g (10%)
    Fiber 0g
    Weight Watcher points = 2

Honey Nut Cheerios
    Calories110
    Fat 1.5 g (2%)
    Sodium 109 mg (8%)
    Carbs 22g (7%)