+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4479Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

rosiedog - you are looking HOT! I was just enjoying my favorite Sat. morning activity of roaming the internet letting serendipity guide me. Somehow I ended up looking up my sign (Gemini) on a search engine and one place cracked me up. After telling me the usual (I'm talkative, intelligent, like to flit from thing to thing without following through, etc.) it then proceeded to tell me how to "correct" these faults - make myself follow through on things, listen instead of talking all the time, etc. I don't know why, but this really tickled my funny bone. These are my instrinsic traits and you want me to stifle them? Must have been written by a Capricorn (like my ex-husband).
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2660697;
    rosiedog - you are looking HOT! I was just enjoying my favorite Sat. morning activity of roaming the internet letting serendipity guide me. Somehow I ended up looking up my sign (Gemini) on a search engine and one place cracked me up. After telling me the usual (I'm talkative, intelligent, like to flit from thing to thing without following through, etc.) it then proceeded to tell me how to "correct" these faults - make myself follow through on things, listen instead of talking all the time, etc. I don't know why, but this really tickled my funny bone. These are my instrinsic traits and you want me to stifle them? Must have been written by a Capricorn (like my ex-husband).
    Oh what site? I'd be interested in hearing how I can curb my Taurus stubborness.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My 25th birthday party was yesterday and theme was movie characters. We had assembled quite a crowd; John McClane, a Jedi, an arbitrary character from the Enterprise (and a discussion on Star Wars vs. Star Trek), Holly Golightly, Chuckie (the evil doll), Lara Croft, one from Alex's posse (A Clockwork Orange), James Bond, a Man In Black, Marty McFly (Back to the Future) Riddick (Pitch Black), Hermione (Harry Potter), Crocodile Dundee and me as a Stepford wife. I had a pink flowery dress with green trim, a green headband, white high heels and a smile on my face. I had also bought a feather duster and if people needed more clues I'd take a baking plate.

The best costume, as voted by all guests was Arthur Dent. This guy (who had taken the bus here) walked around all night in PJ's and a robe, very comfartable according to himself. Plus he didn't have to worry about shaving or fixing his hair either. This guy has the personality of a confused Arthur Dent as well, and he would wear those clothes every day if he could get away with it.

It was a lot of fun with a themed party, we don't do them too often, so maybe there'll be more in the future. I hoped everyone else had a good time as well, but seeing how the last ones left at three in the morning, they must have had fun.
    Last edited by femme fatale; 11-11-2007 at 02:49 PM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2660949;
    My 25th birthday party was yesterday and theme was movie characters. We had assembled quite a crowd; John McClane, a Jedi, an arbitrary character from the Enterprise (and a discussion on Star Wars vs. Star Trek), Holly Golightly, Chuckie (the evil doll), Lara Croft, one from Alex's posse (A Clockwork Orange), James Bond, a Man In Black, Marty McFly (Back to the Future) Riddick (Pitch Black), Hermione (Harry Potter), Crocodile Dundee and me as a Stepford wife. I had a pink flowery dress with green trim, a green headband, white high heels and a smile on my face. I had also bought a feather duster and if people needed more clues I'd take a baking plate.

The best costume, as voted by all guests was Arthur Dent. This guy (who had taken the bus here) walked around all night in PJ's and a robe, very comfartable according to himself. Plus he didn't have to worry about shaving or fixing his hair either. This guy has the personality of a confused Arthur Dent as well, and he would wear those clothes every day if he could get away with it.

It was a lot of fun with a themed party, we don't do them too often, so maybe there'll be more in the future. I hoped everyone else had a good time as well, but seeing how the last ones left at three in the morning, they must have had fun.
    Sounds like a lot of fun. We need to see pictures. Especially of you as the Stepford Wife.
    Happy Birthday.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Somebody help me out here. We have an exchange student from Thailand. He is 16, small and thin, and doesn't exert himself in anyway. When he's not at school he watches tv or goes on the computer. Last night I made a cranberry pudding and had a serving while it was hot and offered him some. This morning it was all gone. Tonight I made a roast with veggies and served him his as he watched tv. I ate mine at the computer and at some point (I never heard him and the kitchen is between the rooms we were in) he went in the kitchen, took the pot out of the oven and took all that was left. My daughter is out but was really looking forward to a roast dinner and now there's none left!!! I let him know that it was meant for her, but I never know if he really understands what I'm saying. I hate to hide food from him, but I feel like I have to if I want it to still be there later.
    Count your blessings!

Maybe he doesn't understand that food is bountiful here, and possibly your offering it to him makes him think he can have whatever is there. Get yourself a translator or does he speak english and doesn't understand it?

He understands English - he's getting good grades in school, but when you ask him questions he gives one word answers and sometimes says yes when he means no. I guess I just don't understand how anyone would think that eating all of any dish when there are others who haven't had any yet would be ok. I know there are a lot of cultural differences like women waiting on men and them expecting it, but he never lifts a finger to do any work or even asks if anything needs to be done. I've never been one to do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, yardwork, etc. without expecting some cooperation and help... I do work full time and all. He doesn't even help carry in groceries if I'm walking past him while he watches tv with my arms full. I guess I need to take this bull by the horns and set out some expectations for him. I just don't want him to feel that I'm angry (even though I guess I am a little). I keep thinking how difficult it must be for him.
    Count your blessings!

What if you just simply treated him as one of yours? Isn't the whole exhange thing to learn about other cultures also?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I vote you be honest and lay it on the line. He can't/won't read your mind. He deserves the complete American experience.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 11-12-2007 at 12:58 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2661404;
    He doesn't even help carry in groceries if I'm walking past him while he watches tv with my arms full. I guess I need to take this bull by the horns and set out some expectations for him. I just don't want him to feel that I'm angry (even though I guess I am a little). I keep thinking how difficult it must be for him.
    I think you should just tell him, but phrase it as something like "I'm not sure you know, but in this country, if a guest is staying more than a few days...blahblayakblab". He'll get over it.
    I remember when my Dad was a principal, he came home one time and had to detail American hygeine to a teacher that was new here (use deodorant, take a full bath every day, not so much cologne, etc) He said it was kind of embarrassing for both of them, but made it a lot easier on te other students, staff etc. and so helped the new guy fit in a lot better.

Good luck, and don't feel bad.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread