+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6753Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

CCL

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    CCL, love your avatar. After spending all day at the museum getting ready for the 1940's USO dance tomorrow, I'm really into the 40's glamor look.
    Thank you. That dance sounds like fun. Hope you have a good time!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

myrosiedog: Your av of your hubby is very nice...don't all men in uniform look great! Do you have a photo of the two of you with him in uniform? That would be cool for your daughter.

------
    On an altogether different subject; how do you feel about a law that makes seatbelts manditory in buses that travel on highways?: school busses and passenger busses like Greyhound.

We have had five horrible bus accidents including both school and passenger busses crash, flip, and slide off slippery highways in this last few weeks. Several innocent passengers, including a mom and her 5 month old baby, and a senior citizen travelling for cancer treatment, die. Many more injured. There is no law in Alberta that says seatbelts must be made available. It should be manditory for children to wear for sure! I guess adults could choose to wear one, but they should be installed on every seat. JMO.

What do you guys think?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I think that a huge part of the problem is with inexperienced and distracted bus drivers. My daughter's school bus driver takes her baby on her route with her (my daughter thinks the child is between 1-2 years old). The bus was 10 minutes late today, and my daughter tells me that it's because the baby was crying and the driver stopped the bus twice to attend to him. I could call the bus company, but on their recruitment literature, they actually advertise the fact that they allow drivers to take their young children with them on their routes. I know there's a serious shortage of people willing to drive a school bus, but I really dislike this policy.

I thought that Greyhound buses did provide seat belts, actually. If I was travelling with my infant, I would have him in a baby carrier and strapped into the seat, and I would buckle myself in as well - you can't help your baby if you become injured yourself. No doubt that would have saved that poor young woman and her son. But I understand that the driver of that bus was also quite inexperienced.

Parents should use infant carriers every single time their child is in a vehicle (I travelled by air a couple of times with my youngest when she was a baby, and she remained strapped into her carrier and buckled into the seat for the entire flight). They really do save kids' lives, and if anyone needs proof of that, they should refer to the story of the plane crash in Golden, BC, where the child's grandfather ensured she was in a car seat and strapped into the plane's seat as well. It saved that little girl's life.

Girl, 3, lone survivor of Golden plane crash
    Last edited by AJane; 11-09-2007 at 06:30 PM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I absolutely agree with you AJane!

I can't believe that someone can safely drive a bus of children while attending to a small baby or child. She may as well be texting her friend and putting on lipstick as far as I'm concerned.

I honestly don't know if all Greyhounds do have seatbelts; but two girls who died in one of the crashes did not have them on. One was thrown through a window out of the bus and the other was tangled on the outside of the bus.

The Red Arrow I regularly travel in has everything you need; movie, coffee, newspapers; but no seat belts.

I also had seen the news about the fatal air crash you mentioned. How on this earth that precious little girl survived is truly a miracle; seatbelt notwithstanding! Thank Goodness her Grandpa had her securly strapped in. What a very sad and tragic story though.

There were 3 bus crashes in the last 5 days. I honestly believe that the universe is sending a message; get seatbelts on all busses, improve the glass used in windows so passengers cannot be thrown through them, review driver qualifications.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2658556;
    myrosiedog: Your av of your hubby is very nice...don't all men in uniform look great! Do you have a photo of the two of you with him in uniform? That would be cool for your daughter.

?
    We didnt' start dating until after he was discharged, He only has his beret and his BDU cap left from his old uniforms so that's all the military uniform I've seen him in.

Today was totally AWESOME. We had a ceremony and events at the museum today to honor WWII and other vets. We unveiled our WWII oral history project today. I was so honored and humbled today to meet a man that landed on one of the beaches at D-Day, an Iwo Jima survivor and a man who survived the Bataan Death March and not one but THREE of the Japanese Hell ships (2 bombed by the Americans not knowing there were POW's on board). I also met a man who was present at the Nuremburg trials in Germany after the war and an incredible lady who was Polish and spent 2 years in a concentration camp as a teenager (losing her entire family in the camp) before being released and joining remnants of the Polish Army as a Red Cross worker in Italy at Monte Cassino. I met someone who commanded some Japanese-American Troops who landed at Anzio in Italy and a gentlemen who was on Patton's staff.
    There were all just incredible with amazing stories and it brought tears to my eyes to hear them all speak and to be able to shake their hands afterwards and give them my heartfelt thanks for doing what they did.

AND my husband was THRILLED because he got to actually offer mechanical advice and work on an old WWII jeep that still runs, but the guys that had brought it developed a problem with the lights and weren't in the position to do anything about it during the festivities. I called my husband and he brought his tools down and got to help the guy that owned work on it trying to fix it. That made his day. That and the fact that these guys had a huge collection of both German, Japanese and American guns and ammunition so he got to grunt over all that stuff.

The day was just incredible and once again, I was so happy to be a part of it and to honor "The Greatest Generation" and all vets. We had a huge turnout and also served breakfast to the Vet's so that was how I got to meet so many of them and hear them all speak.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

WOW. myrosiedog that reads like you had a great day!

MRD

OK, here's a photo from the USO dance. I tried to copy the hair from a photo of my grandmother. It was ok, not nearly as nice as hers looked, but it worked. It was all pushed up to the top of my head with curls covering the entire top of my head. It had about 100 bobby pins in it. Because it was cool, my husband suggested I wear my mom's stole and I did and I think it really added to the "look". There were quite a few people dressed in period costume and the newspaper had us all get together for a photo, so we'll see. The reporter said it would be in next week.
    But the dance was a lot of fun. GREAT swing band and just had an awesome time.

All decked out and ready to go! I love the period, for some reason. You look very pretty and stylish

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2660591;
    All decked out and ready to go! I love the period, for some reason. You look very pretty and stylish
    Thank you. I had a great time. I walked into the bookstore where my daughter was working on my way to the dance and walked up to her and her co-workers and asked: do you have any books on WWII? I thought she was going to die on the spot.

I have an affinty for that period as well. The music, the movies, the styles and of course, all the history. You can't see in the photo, but the dress has the massive shoulder pads that were very popular during that time. I felt like a linebacker with those things on.

I debated on posting the photo with the mink stole on as I know that a lot of people are against fur. But this was my mom's and is probably 55 years old, so I figured that those furs were in a stole long before I was born, I really couldn't do much about it. I never wear it, can't bring myself to get rid of it, but it seemed appropriate for the dance.

ETA: I really don't know how my mom and grandmother's generations did anything while wearing gloves. I seriously could not even do the simpliest things wearing them and had to take them off. But I have many, many photos of my mom, aunts and grandmothers in gloves and hats. And probably wearing really uncomfortable foundation garments. I am so glad we are more into comfortable clothing now. I don't think I could stand having to dress like that everyday. And my grandmother until she died in 1989 never wore pants and was always decked out even if it was a trip to the grocery store.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-11-2007 at 09:03 AM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I love the photo mrd....it looks perfect for that period of time and it sounds like you had a blast at the dance!

Let us know if you make the paper too!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread