+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6407Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Ellen, thoughts and prayers are with you and your tutoring families and everyone else affected by those terrible fires.

Stargazer, good luck on the move. When we moved 700 miles last year, I thought it would kill me. That was the longest move I've ever made and I was forced to part with a lot of crap (which I am glad of now, but at the time it was very traumatic parting with my crap). Yeah, its not easy to move far away. I used to just take my hanging clothes off the closet rod and throw them in the backseat still on hangers and rehang them across town in the new house. Couldn't do that this time.

So you are in my thoughts and prayers as well because moving just plain sucks whether its across town or across the country.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Good luck Ellen and everyone else out there in California. It looks just horribly frightening. I lived on the edge of Daniel Boone National Forest for awhile and we'd have almost annual wildfires. They moved so quickly that it was scary to go to sleep some nights because we'd be afraid of waking up to the house on fire. That wasn't even a drop in the bucket compared to what's going on out in Cali right now, so I can't imagine how terrifying it must be.

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone. MRD, I've done the clothes-still-on-the-hanger thing myself. Its such a huge task to move this kind of distance, that's for sure. I'm so overwhelmed right now because I don't have anyone at all to help me. Trying to pack an entire house with a five-year-old "helping" is going to age me twenty years, I think.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I say buy clothing racks and stick them in the moving van, so you can still keep everything on hangers.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2626098;
    . . . annual wildfires. They moved so quickly that it was scary to go to sleep some nights because we'd be afraid of waking up to the house on fire.
    Good news from the weather reports -- the onshore flow (wind coming from the Pacific) has started, and the Santa Ana winds (hot, dry winds from the deserts) have begun to die down. The fires are far from over, but the situation is getting better. I was able to take a full hour nap this afternoon, and I'm hoping to be able to a decent chunk of sleep tonight. The last couple of nights, my husband and I took turns sleeping in shifts so that one of us would be awake to watch the updates on TV and/or hear the reverse-911 call.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I thought this might be the place to add my thoughts and prayers for all those affected by the California fires, including all the fire fighters. Our firefighting National Guard unit was mobilized this week, too. Stay safe and take care.

Stargazer - moving companies sell boxes that have metal bar in them so that you can pack your clothes on their hangers. They would come in handy. Lots of luck with your move and your new ventures!
    Here is a link to a Uhaul store: U-Haul moving supplies: Shorty Wardrobe® Box

MRD

I have a question. I bought a pair of hurachi sandals in Mexico about a year and a half ago. I've lost so much weight that my feet have gone from wide to almost narrow. The shoes fit lenghtwise, but are way too loose. Is there a way to shrink leather? Or should I just get rid of them like I have most of my other shoes? I hate to get rid of them because I love them, but I can't wear them and I don't think I'll be going to Mexico again anytime soon.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

There must be a way to shrink leather -- O.J. did it somehow with his leather gloves for his trial!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

You're bad, Ellen
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2626098;
    Good luck Ellen and everyone else out there in California. It looks just horribly frightening. I lived on the edge of Daniel Boone National Forest for awhile and we'd have almost annual wildfires. They moved so quickly that it was scary to go to sleep some nights because we'd be afraid of waking up to the house on fire. That wasn't even a drop in the bucket compared to what's going on out in Cali right now, so I can't imagine how terrifying it must be.

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone. MRD, I've done the clothes-still-on-the-hanger thing myself. Its such a huge task to move this kind of distance, that's for sure. I'm so overwhelmed right now because I don't have anyone at all to help me. Trying to pack an entire house with a five-year-old "helping" is going to age me twenty years, I think.
    Just a thought - jumping in here - you can leave them on hangers and lay them on a blanket or quilt and then tie up the ends of the quilt and use that as a "hobo" like bag. it's big and heavy but then you untie the ends and the clothes are all still on the hangers when you reach the destination.

Or the clothing racks and moving boxes with the bars work too.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;2626908;
    Just a thought - jumping in here - you can leave them on hangers and lay them on a blanket or quilt and then tie up the ends of the quilt and use that as a "hobo" like bag. it's big and heavy but then you untie the ends and the clothes are all still on the hangers when you reach the destination.
    I've done a similar thing, Star, but with the big green or orange garbage bags. Poke a hole big enough so you can stick the "u" part of the hangar through, and tie the opening closed to protect the clothing. Another moving trick of mine is to put small items that you don't want to lose (like birth certificates or trinkets) into pockets of clothing that can be zippered or buttoned. And I'm a big fan of purging before a move - if you haven't used it for a year, you don't need it. My best purge was years ago, after I got divorced - I had tons of stuff with bad memories, and I got rid of everything I possibly could. I found myself confronted with things like my wedding album, and who wants that after the marriage is over?

Good luck with your move. I consider myself an expert - we've lived in 3 different provinces in the past 4 years - but I've gone chicken and used moving companies the last two times. Take care and keep your sanity, it'll all be over soon.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread