+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 2432 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354555657585960616263641041545541054 ... LastLast
Like Tree5837Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

When I was growing up,we use to eat a "pudding" type mixture that was put into a large empty coffee can to keep it fresh. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of the overly-sweet concoction, but these friends of ours always gave it to us at Christmas time. It looked like it was full of raisins, chopped nuts...etc.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

I agree that very few people are neutral on fruitcake. But there are still a lot of die hard fruitcake lovers around. I have no doubt that I could sell well over a hundred a year if I wanted to take the time to make them. All I used to do was make a big one, let my husband take it to work and that signaled that I was in business. lol The orders would start coming in. I have a couple of guys who buy several and freeze them to eat throughout the year. I have no desire to eat them until at least Thanksgiving.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    It's candied fruit that I don't like.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Saturday, gotta find something fun to do.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    Saturday, gotta find something fun to do.
    Make some fruitcake!!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

OK, the REAL reason that I don't eat fruitcake is because of the old saying that you are what you eat. I don't eat vegetables for the same reason. Why risk it?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    OK, the REAL reason that I don't eat fruitcake is because of the old saying that you are what you eat. I don't eat vegetables for the same reason. Why risk it?

MRD
    My daughter and I went to the drum circle tonight on Casey Key Beach. It's so much fun. Everyone just doing their own thing, belly dancers, drummers, kids, hippies, preppies, all kinds. Even a native American tribal thing and a guy that blows conch shells, someone reciting poetry, I mean it had it all. Babies to senior citizens. It's a lot of fun. Unfortunately I had to drive so no drinking this time. But as I put away a half a bottle of tequila by myself last Sat. night I probably have drank enough for a few weeks. We've been to the drum circle before, but we went one last time with a group of friends. Probably won't find that in SC. :-)
    It is so much fun. About 200 people in beach chairs eating picnics and about 30 drummers and other percussionists. everyone dancing, visiting, eating, watching the show.
    Everone from babies to senior citizens and dogs and everything from the bizarre to the normal. Lots of tie dye, which I was one. Embarrassed my kid by getting up and dancing. But its so laid back and so much fun and I'm going to miss it.
    It starts about an hour before sunset and its so cool sitting there listening to the drums and watching the sunset in the Gulf. Barefoot in the sand. NOthing better.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    I agree that very few people are neutral on fruitcake. But there are still a lot of die hard fruitcake lovers around. I have no doubt that I could sell well over a hundred a year if I wanted to take the time to make them. All I used to do was make a big one, let my husband take it to work and that signaled that I was in business. lol The orders would start coming in. I have a couple of guys who buy several and freeze them to eat throughout the year. I have no desire to eat them until at least Thanksgiving.
    My granmother made a huge fruitcake around Thanksgiving, She then wrapped it in brandy soaked dishtowels and covered it in foil and kept resoaking the towels until Christmas. This was a potent cake. I of course picked all the candied fruit out.

I have this theory that there is one fruitcake and it just keeps getting passed around.

I would look up Claxton Fruitcakes on the internet and see if you can order one for whoever it was that was looking. I've always felt they make a better doorstop. someone in America they have a fruitcake tossing festival every Christmas. They throw it, catapult it, bowl with it, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun84 View Post
    That's exactly what I'm talking about!

I gotta tell ya, my personal philosophy behind a successful marriage is that you have to pitch in and do half of the house work. My wife loves to cook, it's a stress releaser for her. So I do all of the cleaning. Together we do all the chores, and it leaves sooooo much more time for the other things that make marriage wonderful...

Okay.........almost all. I'm still a guy and thus have zero ability to see dust. Nor does my vocabulary contain the word dust. "Dust" -- this strange noise that emits from females upon occasion -- is as mysterious as the fabled fruitcake (of which there are only 13, a baker's dozen, which rotate the earth endlessly..).

And if any wife is out there who can't get there man interested in doing the vacuuming 3 times a week -- buy a Dyson Vacuum!!!! Serious!!! 100,000 times gravity suction, It's like mowing the lawn!
    I agree with you on the splitting of the chores and mens inability to see dust, or anything on the floor and I'm still waiting for Sears to come out with a riding vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I think that that's written into the marital constitution somewhere. You can split all the chores as you see fit, but rodents and bugs (and bird corpses *shudders*) are absolutely and irrevocably the man's domain.
    I have found that the hose attachment on the vacuum and the long inflexable "wand" attached to it is great to get rid of critters. You don't even have to be close to them with the long hose and want attachment. I have sucked up frogs, bugs, lots of things. But then the vacuum goes on the porch to wait on Mr. Rosie to come home and empty the bag.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 07-30-2006 at 12:10 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I have found that the hose attachment on the vacuum and the long inflexable "wand" attached to it is great to get rid of critters. You don't even have to be close to them with the long hose and want attachment. I have sucked up frogs, bugs, lots of things. But then the vacuum goes on the porch to wait on Mr. Rosie to come home and empty the bag.

FROGS?!!! I'm both curious and grossed out! (Would it suck up rodents as well?)

+ Reply to Thread