+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6518Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I buy organic milk and it last for at least a month if not longer. If you are someone who does not use milk all that often it's worth the extra money.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Thanks for the tips, Lois and Yardgnome. I never thought about keeping powdered in the pantry for cooking, but that is a smart idea! And as for the organic, my oldest daughter wants us to buy it every time but my youngest has decided she dislikes the taste. (?? I can't tell the difference, but the little milk-a-holic can, supposedly...)

Remote...I can tell the difference in the taste of milk, region by region, province to province, and brand by brand. I don't like the taste of milk here, and can hardly wait to visit Canada. It is the first thing I drink when I get in the door

I'm another non-milk-drinker who has to sometimes buy it for cooking (and then it never gets all used up) so I may try the powdered milk suggestion.

In college I remember my roommate and I buying some kind of extended-life milk that lasted two months or so. I don't even want to know what was in it, though.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2581391;
    Well, of course I sniffed it. The only idiot my mother had was my sister!! Do you honestly think I'd use bad milk??? I'm telling you it was amazing!!! Ever since I switched brands, the milk has been lasting much, much longer. It has to be in the packaging.

I buy and drink rice milk now in the box off the shelf, not the refrigerator section. I do refrigerate it once I open it, but it lasts a long time too. Much longer than regular milk. (just don't get the chocolate rice milk. Trust me on this one. The vanilla is the best. I like the flavor on my cherrios, but plain is ok too. But stay away from the chocolate. ewwww)
    And Walmart has the cheapest price on rice milk of anywhere I've seen. Since it's shelf stable, I stock up so I don't have to go to Walmart often.

Someone might have mentioned this, but you can freeze leftover milk in ice cube trays and then pop out and put in a baggie. They work great for cooking and can be easily defrosted or just added to stuff as is. I think 1 cube is equal to 1 or 2 tbsp. So you don't have to worry about it going bad if you just use it for cooking. Works well for buttermilk too, but do label if you have both kinds. It's a surprise when you think you have the regular milk and you have the buttermilk.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

This is a double post because its a complete change of subject from the milk discussion.

Warning rant ahead

My daughter's boyfriend lives in Florida. We live in SC. He's driving up here in Nov. He was given a free truck by a friend. It's an older truck. He knows nothing about vehicles. Sooooo, my husband calls a friend of ours (in Florida) that has not only had this model of truck before, but who works on cars and trucks as a hobby and asks him as a favor to him, would he check out this truck and make sure its road worthy. The friend is glad to do it. So they get with the boyfriend, set up a time for him to take the truck over. Well the truck also needs new tires which he is getting this weekend after he gets paid. Anyway, the truck inspection took place late yesterday afternoon. The boy goes to leave and his mother has a fit and wants him to wait 2 hours until his dad gets home to go with him because she's afraid for him to drive the truck (it's 3 miles on residential roads, not like he's going on the interstate 90 miles). He tells her that the guy, who he doesn't know, is doing him a favor and the time was set up for him to go over now. Well after he leaves, the mother calls my daughter (I am so glad she didn't tell me until today because I would have called the mother and we would have had words and I just need to stay out of it) and complains to her, tells her its all her fault if something happens to him (what I don't know). My daughter (who I am SO proud of) told the boyfriends mother: "I didn't convince him to go over, he never called to tell me when he was going over and besides, this is a good friend of MY dad's who is doing you a FREE favor by making sure the truck is in good shape. He has a job and a family and this is apparantly when he could make the time to check out the truck. AND I don't appreciate you trying to lay a guilt trip on me and make it out that I have this huge influence on him when I live 700 miles away." (well that's paraphrased, but you get the idea)

The mother backed down and tried to make a joke out of it, but my daughter was not happy. I'm not happy, but I'm staying out of it, but I was glad she didn't let this woman push her around either.

I mean, come on, this is a friend of ours doing US a favor for my daughter's boyfriend and the mother wants to gripe about it? Geez. Next time SHE can pay a mechanic to do it. We were trying to save the boyfriend some money. He's only 18, doesn't have the greatest job, so we were trying to help out. No good deed goes unpunished. The boy, by the way was VERY appreciative and called my husband to thank him for setting this up.

Sorry, rant now over.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-21-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Really proud of you for staying out of it! Good move!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2581542;
    Really proud of you for staying out of it! Good move!
    THanks, I think I need to go to the chiropractor now as I've been so proud of myself and patting myself on the back that I've put my back out stretching my arm back there!

I'm REALLY proud of my daughter as she usually does not stand up for herself like this. But I told her that she needs to set "boundries" with her "mother-in-law" (what do you call the boy or girlfriends mother?) but that she also needs to get along with her as much as possible too.

I dunno, three miles is an awfully long way from home when you're only a teenager.

It's even better to set boundaries, Ms Worked-in-the-Title-Business
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

So the boyfriend's mom doesn't mind him driving 700 miles to visit your daughter by himself...but she doesn't want him driving a couple miles by himself? Or did she intend on having her husband drive with the boy for his visit with you all, too? It just doesn't make sense! Your daughter handled everything beautifully. She sounded like she was way more calm than most adults would be. And the fact that the mom was joking about it at the end indicates that she agreed with you daughter. Giving this woman the benefit of the doubt, maybe she wasn't aware that it was a favor you all were providing for her son and she thought he was going to a regular mechanic's where you pretty much just drop the car off anytime during business hours... No? (Just trying to keep the peace in the family!) Anyhow, kudos again to LittleRosieDog! Yay!

+ Reply to Thread