+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 2479 FirstFirst ... 34344454647484950515253545556575859606162631031535531053 ... LastLast
Like Tree6555Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I would have believed the claims of WMD if we had found a cache of fruitcakes somewhere in Iraq.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Wow...Im not a picky eater by any means, but a fruitcake...I cannot do.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    I would have believed the claims of WMD if we had found a cache of fruitcakes somewhere in Iraq.
    That's hysterical. Count me out as a fruitcake lover, too. I never could get into waxed fruit. The nuts are good, though.

Premium Member
    I love fruitcake if it has lots of nuts in it.

I hate Fruitcake too. My Dad's Aunt makes it for him every year because he loves it. She also makes these pecan/cheese wafers that are basically my favorite food (have the recipe, can't do it like she does even though I have tried many times). Last year at Thanksgiving, my parents went to visit Daddy's aunt and she sent them home with a giant fruitcake and a box of cheese wafers for me. I'd been looking forward to those cheese wafers and I was pretty excited when I arrived home one evening to find that Daddy had left my box on our porch. I eagerly ripped into it and found...... FRUITCAKE...... Horrors!! It turned out to be a joke though - Daddy had covered up the wafers with a few slices of fruitcake. I actually put that fruitcake out at our Christmas party and a friend of mine's five year old son ate it ALL. Good riddance if you ask me!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I'll throw in my two cents. I do like one kind of fruitcake. Only one have I ever eaten and loved. My aunt would get it from a mail order in the U.S. It did not have the traditional bitter orange and lemon rind in it. Had lots of nuts, cherries and was more chocolately than molassessy (is that word?). It came in a really nice tin and did last forever in the freezer.

As for vaccuum cleaners, I saw the Dyson at the bed and bath place. I must know: does it pick up cat fur from carpets?! It must. Absolutely. They had it in purple so I got excited. Anyone know?
    Last edited by Marleybone; 07-29-2006 at 12:26 AM. Reason: changed colored text to black
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Sun84 View Post
    I.....I....I've never had anyone break it down like that for me before! I am soooo going to try a piece this Christmas!!!

Anyone know where they sell off-season fruit cake???
    Severel years ago one of my husband's coworkers had cancer and was still working, although terminal. He had bought cakes from me for years and apparently really liked fruitcake. One day he asked my husband if he thought that I would make him one. He felt tha he could eat fruitcake and had been unable to eat much for a while. My husband called me and I said I'd see what I could do. It was the middle of July. I called everywhere I could think of for candied fruit and finally remembered that a lady I knew just might have some in her freezer. She did a cooking show in Memphis at the time so often had out of season things to use. She did and even brought it over and gave it to me when I explained why I needed it.

I made two fruitcakes and sent them to the plant the next day. One of them, they sliced and had with coffee that day and the other he ate all by himself in the next couple of days. He only lived a couple more weeks and I have always been glad that we could get the cake together for him.

Don't know exactly why I told that story since one would have to wonder how long the guy would have lived WITHOUT the cake.

That's sweet, Mudah. I think there is little middle ground on the fruitcake. You either love it or hate it.

Don't know exactly why I told that story since one would have to wonder how long the guy would have lived WITHOUT the cake.
    That just cracked me up. I'm sure he lived longer.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Muduh...awwww! I'm sure that treat cheered him up at least a little. What a sweet story.

The only fruit cake I ever liked was my grandmother's and it was more cake then fruit, it actually may have been a current cake but she always called it fruit cake.

The stuff you buy in stores is just plan bad.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread