+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Radiohead has a line in one of their songs about parents abandoning their kids. It was a comment about a news story at the time where the parents had left their young son alone for a week in a flat with just this:

[B"]And true love lives...on lollipops and crisps"[/B]

So sad. We get such pure love from our children and repay like that.

Gutmutter sounds like those kids need some parental attention\discipline. I've had it done to me when I get ready to pick them up in my bus. They always get a lecture. I suppose you could've stopped the car right then and given them a "what-for" OR contact the bus company with the location/time and let them address it. They might do that for you, depending upon the company.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Gut, since the kids laughed, it seems they didn't take it seriously and are likely to do it again (perhaps in front of a car driving faster than you were that may not be able to stop in time). I would call the parents in for a conference and hopefully their parents will talk to them and take care of it. If not, you'll know you've done your best.

I'm mean I guess, because I'd tell the principal, give them detention and make them watch the driver's ed safety video. The one we have here shows fatalities.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Gut, I would document it for my protection later on...just in case.

Good ideas! Thank you! I told the principal, but I am going to document it tomorrow. I can't give them detention for something that happened out of school.
    Count your blessings!

Tonight I've been looking for Steve Fosset. THere's a link on his website to help search satellite photos. It's fascinating and addictive to me for some reason. It makes it seem impossible that he's still missing with all the thousands who are looking at these same satellite images. Anyway, I was curious if anyone else has been looking?

Amazon Mechanical Turk
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Someone on another forum board I visit posted the link. I would look but when I look at those photos I can't make anything out. I wouldn't see a plane if it had an arrow pointing to it saying, "This is a plane."

I'm OK at photo interpretation, I use aerial photos on a nearly daily basis, but the size of the task is daunting. I think that the search would be more thorough if a blink comparator was used to compare pre- and post-crash imagery.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2572063;
    I'm OK at photo interpretation, I use aerial photos on a nearly daily basis, but the size of the task is daunting. I think that the search would be more thorough if a blink comparator was used to compare pre- and post-crash imagery.
    I haven't looked at aerial photos in a long time. I used to have to use them occasionally.
    I do think this is a really cool idea though, whoever thought of it. I hope it can help find him.

On a side note: When we moved to SC a friend told us he had looked up our address on the property appraisers website and seen an aerial view of our house and it looked nice. What looked nice? The roof? I went and looked and that is what you see, the roof and a couple trees. Oh, yeah, it looks GREAT from the air.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

The Very Rainy, Very bad night

My daughter wrote most of this. My comments are in italics but this was our Friday evening. Thank goodness, we are now laughing about it.

First off, we have not had rain in ages, so today the skies opened and it rained so hard that animals were gathering two by two looking for the ark.Found out later it was the remnants of Hurricane Humberto.
    When I get to our church to scrapbook it's pouring and I have to unload my stuff IN THE RAIN and walk about 50 feet to the door. IN THE RAIN. The door is locked, so I stand under the overhang with all my scrap crap waiting while Mr. MRD walks all the way around the church (the church sits on an entire block. BIG AREA) and not one door is open despite several cars in the parking lot. He has to go to the bathroom and I will NOT let him go in the bushes next to the church. So he leaves with Little MRD while I continue to wait in the rain. Finally they get there, open the church and the room we are supposed to be in has no ac and no one knows how to turn it on. so they open the windows. Now its not only hot, but miserably humid. After 2 hours, everyones paper is curling and damp. The woman in charge was supposed to take care of snacks and stuff, but brought NO DRINKS. I have to walk down 3 hallways in the pitch dark with my cigerette lighter to get water and ice out of the new kitchen to have something to drink. On to Little MRD's story.

SOOOOO.
    Tonight is Erika's birthday, she is 17

My mother has to be at the church around 6:00 pm to scrap untill 11:00 pm. I have to be at Red Robin at about 6:30 to celebrate with Erika and friends. We take my mother first and the woman that was suppose to be at the church to open the door is not there yet. (It's POURING )We end up standing around untill my dad has to go to the bathroom. He gets in the car and we drive to the Hot Spot, and my dad gets gas and goes to the bathroom and we drive back to the church to find that my mother eventually got inside the building and is now safe and dry in the warm (old with no ac) kitchen.

After the whole church shin-dig, we decide to take HWY 14 to the interstate, and the interstate to Woodruff- where Red Robin is. Fine, no problem. ONLY IT IS A PROBLEM! Because the interstate is backed up so badly it would have taken an hour to get there. (still pouring, bad wreck on the interstate) It is now 6:10. My dad pulls to the side and BACKS UP (the on ramp) back on to HWY 14, where we continue driving straight to get to Woodruff.

Fine, no problem. BUT ALAS! A PROBLEM!!! Traffic is backed up on HWY 14. It is slow, and people don't know what green lights mean. (or how to drive in the rain. They must think it's raining valium because they drive like they are high) It takes about 7 minutes, and two phone calls from Erika wondering where I am to get to Woodruff. Woodruff traffic is always awful, but bad drivers+ rainy roads+ backed up traffic is a whole different kind of bad.

We get to red robin at about 6:40. My dad pulls in to the wrong parking lot, only it was right next to Red Robin so I could easily make it there. All I have to do is step through what looks like a fairly dry, solid 2 foot patch of grass. Fine, again not a problem. OR SO I THOUGHT!!!!!! I trip, fall and muddy my shoes and pants all the way up to my knee.(that would be MY daughter! Takes after me, the worlds biggest klutz!) I start crying, I'm soaked, and all I want to do is eat a nice salad with my friend for her birthday. I tell my dad to go in and give her my present and tell her I'm sorry, I got covered in mud and can't come. He does, and when he comes out he sees me upset and takes me to the closest clothing shop, Ross, to buy me new pants. I get a long, white, hippie skirt I really like, after realizing finding a good pair of pants that fit my leg length is going to take several minutes. I get to the car and come to the conclusion that I am wearing blue Super-man underwear and I have to roll up my pants and wear them underneath so nobody will see the blue undies. (Superman undies do NOT protect you from falling into muddy patches of grass. He could leap tall buildings,not rainy paking lots. So remember that you should be careful of your underwear like your mother told you because you NEVER know what's going to happen!)

A few minutes later we are back at Red Robin, IN THE CORRECT PARKING LOT. I am soaked, and dirty and looking like poop, but I go inside and eat an ok salad and have fun talking with Erika and friends, a happy ending. NOT.

We finish eating and I need a ride home.I know it will take my dad a while to get there, so Erika's friend Ginny (sp?) offers me a ride. I accept her offer. Ginny is nice and I know her from the civil war history class I took a year ago. She's fun to talk to and such, it was a pleasant ride. We arrive at my house and she leaves and my dad isn't there. The doors are locked. I have no key. I stand outside after calling my dad who says he will be home in about 10 minutes. Then I decide it's too cold and I'm wet, and my night was awful for the most part (sorry Erika) and I end up climbing through my bedroom window - the only window without a screen.

The End. FOR REAL!

I would like to thank my father for going out of his way to make my night as good as a bad night could be and for never screening that window, even though I bugged him about it because bugs kept creeping in. I would also like to wish Erika a happy B-day.

MOM'S ENDING

After 3 1/2 hours of scrapping in hot, humid weather, with no diet coke to drink. I am tired, hot, sticky and my scrap stuff is damp. One of the other women starts to pack up. She has told me she lives close to me and drives right by my house almost everyday. I decided that I will do Mr. MRD a favor and get a ride home with her. No problem, she's really nice. It has FINALLY stopped raining, but the roads are wet. This woman drives worse than Mr. MRD. I actually feared for my life after riding with her, but it was a free ride, so I don't mind-too much, after all I'm used to driving with the Worlds Worst Driver, Mr. MRD. We get to my house around 10:30 and the car isn't there. No problem I think because I figured Mr. MRD had to pick up Little MRD. I have keys (I'm not like Little MRD, I carry my keys with me). I get in and go to the phone to call Mr. MRD. He and Little MRD are halfway to the church to pick me up EARLY because he's tired. All this because the clutch in his truck is out and he has to have the car to take Little MRD and go to the auto parts store while she and i are at our various functions. Here I tell him, that I was doing him a favor by getting a ride so he doesn't have to drive back to the church. The church is 20 min in one direction. Little MRD's friends birthday dinner was 20 in the other, so he's been ALL over the place in one night. But no, he decides he wants to go to bed and comes early to get me. I try to be nice to help him and he's not home. He says: why didn't you call. "because I don't have a cell phone and usually I don't need one, but tonight I did).
    So the whole evening was messed up and he did not get to go to the store he wanted and was grumpy about that.
    I ended up having to take a shower after the sauna scrapbooking event and all went to bed, clean, unmuddy and unsweaty!
    Also get home to find out that Waldo has been scrapbooking too. The door to the room I keep my supplies did not get shut and fortunately he only got in the trash can and chewed up scraps and not my "good stuff". The end.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread