+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7139Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My neighbors are out grilling again this morning. They grill breakfast several times a week. As I can barely function to make coffee in the morning this activity just fascinates me. I mean, I have obviously grilled breakfast when camping, but the thought has never occured to me to do it at home.

Anyone grill their breakfast? What do you grill if you do?

May have to get the husband to give it a try some weekend. (Notice that I am not willing to do it. But I will partake if he does. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Grilled breakfast at home -- what a fun and yummy idea! I'm with you, mrd, to have the hubby do it and then partake in the results! (I'm lucky in that my husband is a great cook, and that he loves cooking, grilling, and experimenting with new stuff.) I'll have to put a bug in his ear about grilled breakfast -- that way, he'll think it's his idea and it'll get done sooner.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I'll have to put a bug in his ear about grilled breakfast -- that way, he'll think it's his idea and it'll get done sooner.
    Tell him that it can't be done, and he'll be serving you a grilled breakfast tomorrow morning
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2567272;
    Not that I'd leave my kids to roast in a car or anything, but I doubt they'd get the quality of parenting they'd deserve.
    Ellen, I have a feeling that if you had a baby, you'd be an excellent parent, despite what you think. However, I also think it's great that you didn't allow anyone to pressure you into having children when you don't want to. I do wish people would stop with the "when are you going to have a baby" question. It's just rude. Some of us don't want to have children, and some of us can't have children. That's not a question that's easy to answer...or should have to be answered!

A long time ago, I dated a guy who always said he didn't want to have children. Ever. Great, I knew that since I did, he and I would never be a long-term match. He kept talking a big game. He was incredibly sexually active and I suggested that if he was POSITIVE he would never change his mind, he should think about getting a vasectomy so he didn't accidentally get a woman pregnant. Well, then all this hemming and hawing about why he couldn't do that. I really hope he never has a baby because he would be an awful father. He's well intentioned, but incredibly messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2569329;
    And to recognize that you don't want kids, is a way more responsible and mature person than those that have them and then ignore or abuse them.
    Very true. Mr. Rattus and I are very happily childless, and though we've now reached that point in our lives where people kept telling us we'd regret not having children, we remain steadfastly relieved that we didn't procreate, and are friends with several people who do regret having kids (they love them and all, but feel that the quality of their lives would have been better if they hadn't given in to their biological clocks).

A very good friend of ours, however, didn't remain firm in his strong commitment to childlessness and is now regretting it. Though they had discussed it at the beginning of their relationship and had agreed to a no kids lifestyle, her clock began ticking and she began nagging, and eventually extorting ("if you don't get me pregnant, someone else will"). So he caved because he loves her (for the life of me, I have no idea why ) and they now have a five year old. And he has had a breakdown and spent the past year and a half off work and on meds. So if something deep inside is telling you not to procreate, don't procreate. You're not going to like what your life becomes.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2569596;
    Very true. Mr. Rattus and I are very happily childless, and though we've now reached that point in our lives where people kept telling us we'd regret not having children,
    I really don't know why people say stuff like this to people. That is beyond rude and inconsiderate. And if you do end up regretting a decision, so what? It doesn't concern them. In hindsight, we may've all made different decisions. Life is all about living the best life you can, and in cases you can't control, making the most with what you've been dealt.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2569766;
    I really don't know why people say stuff like this to people. That is beyond rude and inconsiderate. And if you do end up regretting a decision, so what? It doesn't concern them. In hindsight, we may've all made different decisions. Life is all about living the best life you can, and in cases you can't control, making the most with what you've been dealt.
    I have never understood why people say these things. I had a very, very, very difficult pregnancy and delivery. I had several miscarriages, yet people including family would say: "she needs a little sister or brother". Now I'm too old to hear that fortunately. But My answer was "we're trying as hard as we can". That usually embarrassed them enough to shut them up. But that is so personal. Any of those questions. And Lois is right. Life is about making the best decisions you can and making the most out of the situations you can't control.

I have friends that have several children, do I say: "geez, you guys need to buy a tv or something". No, that's highly personal and their decision to have a lot of kids.

Well as we all know, rude people abound and honestly I wonder how much of it is just that they do not think before they speak. Or they're trying to make conversation. I think most of the time it's not meant the way we take it, but it still hurts. I just spent some time with a friends kids. They fought the entire time and said hurtful things to each other which then led to one or the other tattling. I finally had enough and said: " you guys need to think about your words before you open your mouths to say something to the other one." I guess some adults could heed that as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

When I got married, people wanted to know if I was pregnant (we had a short engagement). I wasn't (although now I wish I had been!), but what kind of question is that? And I was in my 30's...it's not like I was some kid! They asked the same thing of my brother and his wife who also had a relatively short engagement. And then when they didn't have kids right away, people would ask them when they were going to have kids. My sister actually had a long engagement but got married younger than me--she was in her early 20's. People wanted to know why she was taking so long to have babies...Um, maybe because she'd like to enjoy her marriage before popping out a baby right away? HOW RUDE!

It's odd. Most people won't ask how much you weigh or how much money you earn, but they have no qualms about asking you questions about your reproductive choices.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 09-12-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2569345;
    Anyone grill their breakfast? What do you grill if you do?
    Well it can't be eggs, they would fall through the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2569596;
    A very good friend of ours, however, didn't remain firm in his strong commitment to childlessness and is now regretting it. Though they had discussed it at the beginning of their relationship and had agreed to a no kids lifestyle, her clock began ticking and she began nagging, and eventually extorting ("if you don't get me pregnant, someone else will"). So he caved because he loves her (for the life of me, I have no idea why ) and they now have a five year old. And he has had a breakdown and spent the past year and a half off work and on meds. So if something deep inside is telling you not to procreate, don't procreate. You're not going to like what your life becomes.
    I've mentioned in other forums that I battled PPD & PPP for years after my second daughter was born, but never, ever, EVER did I regret having her or my other child. My girls are the light of my life - in my darkest hours (and I had many of them during my depression) they were what kept me going. I hope that your friend grows to worry less about the negative impact that parenthood has had on his life, and that he can find the joy in it instead. Because the joy far, far outweighs anything else. It's too late for regrets for him and his wife, anyway - I hope they're adapting to being parents. How unfair to their child if they're not.

I think it's usually other parents who are very intrusive when asking if a couple is going to have kids/have more kids. On the good side, they probably enjoy being parents so much they think everyone should experience it. I've had to learn to be more tactful on the subject myself. Of course, it's rude to ask, but people will ask, of course. I guess one just has to have a good answer ready that will shut the questioner up.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread