+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 2522 FirstFirst ... 24243444546474849505152535455565758596061621021525521052 ... LastLast
Like Tree6975Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Sun84 View Post
    Anyone know where they sell off-season fruit cake???
    You could probably get one from the attic of just about anyone you know.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    You could probably get one from the attic of just about anyone you know.
    LOL!!! Too funny. I personally hate fruitcake...They always taste too sweet with all that gummy fruit in it. ICK. However, if we do get them as a "gift" on Xmas, I pass it off on the husband. He'll eat anything. (Which is how I've been able to pass off my cooking -- which isn't really that great -- as daily meals! ... )

As for chores, the hubby and I have different chores that we do. I tend to take care of the indoors and he takes care of the outdoors. For instance, I'll do the laundry/dishes. He'll mow the lawn in the summer and shovel the snow in the winter. I empty all the garbage containers in the house into one big trash bag. He takes it all outside (as well as the recycling bins). I water all the plants inside the house. He hoses off all the plants etc. in our garden etc. He's actually a better cook than I am but I do most of the cooking. It's a way of forcing us to diet. I'll stuff and cook a small chicken or game hen... But on special occassions when a turkey needs to be made, he cooks it. (And it's delicious!)

If there's anything to do with rodents or bugs...he deals with it! (Our cat is an amazing hunter of chipmunks. I've come face to face with one too many of his killings! Shudder...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sun84 View Post
    And if any wife is out there who can't get there man interested in doing the vacuuming 3 times a week -- buy a Dyson Vacuum!!!! Serious!!! 100,000 times gravity suction, It's like mowing the lawn!
    My friends who have the Dyson all LOVE it! I want to get one. We have an old Oreck which works great, but I hear the Dyson is more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    If there's anything to do with rodents or bugs...he deals with it! (Our cat is an amazing hunter of chipmunks. I've come face to face with one too many of his killings! Shudder...)
    I think that that's written into the marital constitution somewhere. You can split all the chores as you see fit, but rodents and bugs (and bird corpses *shudders*) are absolutely and irrevocably the man's domain.

And I empathize with you on the bad cooking thing. Fortunately, Mr. Rattus' mother was even worse than I am so he grew to adulthood thinking that bad food was excellent .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    And I empathize with you on the bad cooking thing. Fortunately, Mr. Rattus' mother was even worse than I am so he grew to adulthood thinking that bad food was excellent .
    Hee hee. My mother in law (who is the sweetest woman in the world) isn't the greatest cook in the world either so I fare OK compared to her. Now MY mother is a fantastic cook and it never rubbed off on me. Whenever we go to eat at my parents, my mom sends us home with a goodie bag of leftovers and I'm sure my husband is secretly relieved that he can eat GOOD home cooking instead of my meals. What can you do, right? He knew I couldn't cook and still married me! But you should see me order in! I'm the best!

I think that everyone secretly likes fruitcake. I mean it's fruit, it's cake, it's booze - what's not to like .
    I disagree. My oldest sister has a fruitcake recipe that normally draws rave reviews, even from my wise-aker siblings, so I had her send me one. I took one bite, and spent the rest of the afternoon trying to get that god-awful taste out of my mouth.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Too much to quote since this all started so let me just put my 2 in without directing it at anyone in particular...

I'm of the mind that technological advances aren't saving us time, but making our time more productive. Although 4 day work weeks are a reality in many industries, it's still about putting in the 40 hours. The difference nowadays is that we accomplish so much more with out time.

In the television business we used to do what is called linear editing. We would take the video tape and take a piece of footage from it, put in another tape and take a piece from that, and slowly build a show. Much like a writer using an old fashion typewriter. The creative process was 'linear'. Today we take clips from several different tapes and move them around at will. It still takes almost the same amount of time, but with the advent of non-linear editing we can realize more of the 'vision'. In the same way a writer with a word processor can cut and paste allowing for more creativity in the same amount of time. (I hope that makes sense)

Regarding fruitcake: Hate it!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Okay, all fruitcake haters who gets a fruitcake this Christmas, PM me and I'll give you my address .

Uncle David, I will grant you that some technology absolutely does create a more efficient use of our time (a word processor, for example, beats the whatsit out of a typewriter), but the incredible volume and variety of technology is also causing our work time to bleed ever more into our down time. Not into my down time, of course, but into that of people who are more diligent than I. My poor boss, for example, has been contacted by me while she was in China, on the Paris to London train, in Alaska, basically on every vacation she's ever been on. The cell phone, the Blackberry, e-mail, the home fax machine mean she can never, ever get away from me and all her hysterical clients, no matter where on the planet she goes.
    Last edited by Rattus; 07-28-2006 at 08:25 PM.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    I'd gladly pay the expense of shipping, but every one who knows me knows better than to give me a fruitcake.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Fruitcakes! Hate them personally, and apparently so do a few other people- I read a few months ago that while cleaning out an attic in preparation for a move, this guy found a fruitcake in a tin that his aunt had sent him in the 1960's when he was in the military!!!! Yes, the 60's!!That's not the scariest part- the thing had no mold, mildew, and looked like it had been made yesterday.
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Fruitcakes! Hate them personally, and apparently so do a few other people- I read a few months ago that while cleaning out an attic in preparation for a move, this guy found a fruitcake in a tin that his aunt had sent him in the 1960's when he was in the military!!!! Yes, the 60's!!That's not the scariest part- the thing had no mold, mildew, and looked like it had been made yesterday.
    But that's one the many things that's so wonderful about them .

+ Reply to Thread