+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5792Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD - I've never gotten a flu shot, but I know a lot of people who have, and some of them did say they felt kind of crummy a few days after. It makes sense, as when you get a flu shot, you're actually getting a weakened dose of the flu so you can build up the resistence to it. Most people say it's not nearly as bad as the flu and doesn't last as long. I hope you're feeling better soon.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2565186;
    MRD - I've never gotten a flu shot, but I know a lot of people who have, and some of them did say they felt kind of crummy a few days after. It makes sense, as when you get a flu shot, you're actually getting a weakened dose of the flu so you can build up the resistence to it. Most people say it's not nearly as bad as the flu and doesn't last as long. I hope you're feeling better soon.
    Thanks. I've gotten them for years and this is the first time I've ever felt this way afterwards. Now that my daughter doesn't feel good today, I'm wondering if its just a bug and not the flu shot. But I have also been told that my medical issues may be suppressing my immune system so I guess maybe that could be why, but my dr. definetly wanted me to have it. I guess the shot and its aftermath are better than the actual flu.

I am a huge believer in the shots. I used to get the flu every year at the holidays and that sucked. Since I started getting the flu shots, I haven't gotten the flu, so I'm now a convert to getting one every year. And they are so inexpensive that it just makes sense to get one as I know I spent more on doctors, Rx's and OTC remedies once I got the flu than I did on the shot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2565183;
    But just wondering if anyone has ever had a flu shot make them sort of sick or is that just a myth?
    Yep. Usually I feel a little crappy (sort of like a mild version of the first signs of flu) a day or so after my flu shot. That tells me that my body is building up antibodies to be ready for when the parents of a runny-nosed, coughing, starting-a-fever kid brings the kid in for tutoring anyway. Uggh!

The flu shots, along with Zicam, have been lifesavers for the past few years. The small cost is a good investment against losing several days' pay!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2565206;
    Yep. Usually I feel a little crappy (sort of like a mild version of the first signs of flu) a day or so after my flu shot. That tells me that my body is building up antibodies to be ready for when the parents of a runny-nosed, coughing, starting-a-fever kid brings the kid in for tutoring anyway. Uggh!

The flu shots, along with Zicam, have been lifesavers for the past few years. The small cost is a good investment against losing several days' pay!
    I used Airborne all last year and avoided getting really sick. I would start the Airborne as soon as I felt something coming on. And I took it yesterday and today too just in case. I think "Lucy" on here is the one that told me about it and said to get the pink grapefruit as that was the least nasty.

I just flew too and I know airplanes are major germ breeding grounds. So it could be anything including the flu shot. But thanks for the response. Like I said, I don't remember ever getting a reaction before, but I guess it makes sense that you can.

Yes, I'm a fan of the Airborne, and the pink grapefruit flavor. The citrus is like duck poo. :nono I think it's helped me kick a few colds.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2564903;
    Then on tonight's news, an 89-year-old woman out shopping was followed home by two female lowlifes (late teens/early twenties). When they got to her house, these two beat her up and poured bleach over her, took her wallet and left her in the driveway (this was done during daytime!). The two lowlifes then used the credit cards and went on a shopping spree, spending hundreds of dollars in several stores before they were apprehended. One of the lowlifes had a 2-week-old baby in her arms but had left her 17-month-old home alone while all of this was going on! Her friend is 8 months pregnant too.
    Not that beating up anyone isn't horrible...but to me, beating up the elderly and children is just low, low, low! Wasn't it enough to steal from her? They had to torture her as well by pouring bleach on her? I hope their babies are take away from them and adopted out to loving parents who will give them better lives... How is the elderly lady doing? I hope she'll make it...

I remember seeing a video from a security camera on the news of a bunch of thugs BEATING an elderly man (I think he was in his late 80s, early 90s) because he wouldn't GIVE them his car that they wanted to steal. There were other people around and no one did anything to help this poor man.

I love it when criminals target an elderly person who turns out to be a former Navy SEAL! (Wait, I don't mean I want them to get attacked, but I do love it when a victim fights back and hurts the criminal!)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2565230;
    Not that beating up anyone isn't horrible...but to me, beating up the elderly and children is just low, low, low! Wasn't it enough to steal from her? They had to torture her as well by pouring bleach on her? I hope their babies are take away from them and adopted out to loving parents who will give them better lives... How is the elderly lady doing? I hope she'll make it...

I remember seeing a video from a security camera on the news of a bunch of thugs BEATING an elderly man (I think he was in his late 80s, early 90s) because he wouldn't GIVE them his car that they wanted to steal. There were other people around and no one did anything to help this poor man.

I love it when criminals target an elderly person who turns out to be a former Navy SEAL! (Wait, I don't mean I want them to get attacked, but I do love it when a victim fights back and hurts the criminal!)
    I agree with you. Have you seen the ads for that new Jodie Foster movie where her husband (Riyeed from LOST) is killed and she turns vigilante? I can't remember the name. My husband says its like Charles Bronson's Death Wish with a Jodie Foster. But its times like you describe above that make me wish I had the guts to do that. I think preying on the eldery and the young is just weak. But criminals want the easy way out of they wouldn't be criminals.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

It's called "The Brave One." I think the title is stupid and turns me off...but I like Jodie Foster and most likely will see the movie!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

About the flu shot, I just saw a doctor on television talking about the flu shots and people who get sick after getting one. I think the doc was somebody like Dr. Tim Johnson (?) on GMA, or Dr. Oz....he said that the flu shots contained the killed virus, so it's not the shot that is making them sick. He said that the people were, in all liklihood, on the way to getting sick when they got the shot. Tutors (being in close proximity with students), students in schools, holiday celebrations with lots of people around, going to church, etc. are all prime situations to pick up a bug, whether somebody is exhibiting obvious symptoms or not. Wash your hands frequently! Keep your hands away from your eyes! Use your neti pots (I already know how you all feel about those!)!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

prhoshay, that's what my doctor said, too ^, and that feeling icky after the shot was coincidence. And yeah, that makes sense. I Purell (yes, that's now a verb) after each student, no matter how OCD it makes me look, and do a good handwashing as soon as I get home. It took awhile, but I finally got out of the habit of touching my face. I've never used Airborne specifically, but I do use this homeopathic stuff that's pretty similar -- I love it. And Zicam has been great for if an actual cold does start. I like being my own boss, but it sucks to not get sick pay!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread