+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6189Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2560123;
    WHAT? Not barefoot? Wuss
    Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    When it snowed we walked to school. Uphill. Both ways. And liked it.
    When I read that, I hear it in Dana Carvey's voice. Remember the grumpy old man on SNL? "And that's the way it was and we liked it!"
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2560138;
    When I read that, I hear it in Dana Carvey's voice. Remember the grumpy old man on SNL? "And that's the way it was and we liked it!"
    I'll admit I swiped it from an old Bill Cosby routine.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

In my neck of the woods, whenever we'd even get the lightest dusting of snow sneaux, we'd get sent home. Of course, this happened only about four times in my 19 years of primary and secondary education, despite all the students' hopes and prayers. The last time, in high school, the principal admonished everyone to "stay behind the car in front of you" which brought peels of laughter from the students who all wondered where they'd end up if they didn't want to go where that car was going.

We did get sent home in August of one year when the a/c wasn't working. No one wanted to be there! Of course, this did not prepare me at all for college in southern Alabama, where the chem lab was un-air-conditioned. Thirty burners going, and all those fumes...at least we had a giant fan, or we'd all be dead now.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

PhoneGrrrl, I can completely relate to getting out of school with a light dusting of snow...that happens here in North Alabama all the time...just mention the word snow and the grocery stores run out of milk and bread and the gas stations are lined up with people buying gas, etc....it really is quite

I visited Lake Tahoe about a year ago and I remember there being sooo much snow and people acting like it was no big deal....the whole state of Alabama would shut down if we ever got snow like that!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2560009;
    We pretty much adapt to what we have and don't have, don't we? When I was in school, we didn't have air conditioning--not even in college, I don't think... The first car I bought didn't have air conditioning either. Today, I can't imagine working 8 or 10 hours a day in a non air conditioned building...or driving a car without air conditioning...but when that's all you know, you just do it, don't you?
    My husband didn't have ac until he went to basic training. He grew up in a house without ac because that's the way his parents had always lived. And his dad refused to get a color tv. He liked black and white and would shop until he could find one even in the brand new age of color!

I remember ALWAYS wearing jeans even in summer and at school with no ac. I have not had on jeans but maybe twice since May. Too hot for jeans.

Newf, did you have to ride dinosaurs to school in that cave or did they make you walk?

My daughter always says when her dad and I talk about the "old days": "that was back when you rode dinosaurs wasn't it?". Oh she thinks she's so cute!

bbbama: that happened here last year. We got 2 inches of snow one day and the entire city shut down. We didn't even get mail delivery that day. I thought that the post office had that motto about rain, sleet and snow.
    And there was nary a loaf of bread or a carton of eggs to be found in the grocery. So different than us stocking up on water, candles and batteries in Florida during a hurricane warning.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Growing up in the midwest, I always love being in the south during a light dusting of snow. I consider myself to be a cautious driver, but, holy cow! Southerners are cautious to the brink of being non-moving only because they're not used to it. My kids would occasionally be sent home early due to a humongous snow storm coming. I don't recall ever being sent home early or having a snow day.

I wonder if Newf was before dinosaurs?

MRD

My daughter's boyfriend has been visiting from Florida and leaves tomorrow. I'm really going to miss him. Both my husband and I really like the boy. He's polite, pleasant and helpful. And he loves my cooking. Always a plus in my book! He says that they eat the same 3 or 4 things at his house and he likes that we have such a wide variety. I get tired of the same old thing, so we do eat quite a few different things.

I have this friend that if it's Mon, its spagetting, Tues is Tacos and so on. Fri. is Domino's pizza and they order the EXACT same thing every time. She has printed out her grocery list and buys the same things week after week. She knows down to the penny how much her grocery bill and her Domino's bill is going to cost.

My husband told me if I did that, he'd leave. I told him not to worry as I don't like spagetti, he doesn't like tacos and we both hate Domino's so he was safe at least 3 days of the week.

I can't preplan a menu as what I plan out for Tues on say Sat. may not be what I'm in the mood for eating on Tues. I would love to plan out menus better, but I'm just a more spontaneous cook and my meal plans never work out.

Anyway, I think I'm going to miss the bf as much as my daughter is when he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2561343;
    Newf, did you have to ride dinosaurs to school in that cave or did they make you walk?
    Quote Originally Posted by famita;2561375;
    I wonder if Newf was before dinosaurs?
    BEFORE dinosaurs?? Wow, that's harsh No, dinosaurs predate my early education. Glaciers, saber-tooth tigers, and those pesky bears were the primary problems.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2561387;
    BEFORE dinosaurs?? Wow, that's harsh No, dinosaurs predate my early education. Glaciers, saber-tooth tigers, and those pesky bears were the primary problems.
    You know, now some of those cave drawings that have been found are starting to make more sense!

Those were part of my detention. I had to write "I will not throw the third-graders under a bison stampede" 100 times.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread