+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6942Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My daughter's first day was today as well. Anyone enterring middle or high school had to go in yesterday for orientation. I was actually pleased the princess went to bed early last night and was not a bear this morning.

Here in NY, we always started school on either the Wednesday or Thursday after Labor Day. But we don't end until around the 20th-24th of June, depending on exams and Regents. One winter we had used up all of our "snow days" and the school district had to actually add on extra days at the end of the year. My kids didn't get out until June 30th!

I wish our classrooms had air conditioning. We do get a few really hot, humid days towards the end of the school year and it is not uncommon to have a few in September. Of course, the offices have A/C, but not the classrooms.

When I was in school, we would start Aug 28 (ish) and go till about the 22nd of June. For a few years, we piloted starting in the beginning-middle of August and ending earlier in May. Personally, I loved the second. I always thought it was the best schedule for finding a summer job (We piloted in grades 9/10).

Now for University, we'd start the day after the long weekend-early December. We start somewhat early in January, but we're done in mid April!

My school always did, and does, go back in mid-August because there are always snow days that force the year into June before it ends. But they also don't have air-conditioning, and while I don't remember ever getting out early for heat, they have been on several days in the past couple of years.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

*pulls up rocking chair* Back in my day, school started the Tuesday after Labor Day and ended about the 1st week of June. We got off the week between Christmas and New Year and only a couple of days at Easter. I don't remember ever having our school year extended for too many snow days. Getting time off for heat didn't exist. I went to school in Tennessee in buildings without air conditioning. When it snowed we walked to school. Uphill. Both ways. And liked it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Unfortunately, in my area, this is the hottest August on record. I didn't have a/c in my school either, and our uniforms were wool blazers and skirts. I can't remember which, but either at the beginning of the school year, or at the end we were able to not wear the uniform for several weeks. We got to look like the regular public school kids, and that was exciting! I thought the half days for the heat in schools with a/c was ridiculous....and so did some of the students, we found out from television interviews.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

School in NY started on Tuesday.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2559883;
    I don't remember ever having our school year extended for too many snow days. Getting time off for heat didn't exist. I went to school in Tennessee in buildings without air conditioning. When it snowed we walked to school. Uphill. Both ways. And liked it.
    I suppose it's because I'm in Canada, but in my entire 19+ years of schooling, there has only ever been 2 snow days. One because there was a blizzard that closed an entire city. The second because it was a semi-blizzard in April. Otherwise, forget about it!

*pulls up rocking chair* Back in my day, school started the Tuesday after Labor Day and ended about the 1st week of June. We got off the week between Christmas and New Year and only a couple of days at Easter. I don't remember ever having our school year extended for too many snow days. Getting time off for heat didn't exist. I went to school in Tennessee in buildings without air conditioning. When it snowed we walked to school. Uphill. Both ways. And liked it.
    You damn kids have it too easy.

In my day, we didn't even have a school building. We met in a cave, and the only heat was from the bears that we HOPED were hibernating. School was year-round, and we were expected to hunt/gather at least 10 hours a day in addition to school and homework.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

We pretty much adapt to what we have and don't have, don't we? When I was in school, we didn't have air conditioning--not even in college, I don't think... The first car I bought didn't have air conditioning either. Today, I can't imagine working 8 or 10 hours a day in a non air conditioned building...or driving a car without air conditioning...but when that's all you know, you just do it, don't you?

When it snowed we walked to school. Uphill. Both ways. And liked it.
    WHAT? Not barefoot? Wuss

+ Reply to Thread