+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 2458 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051525354555657585960611011515511051 ... LastLast
Like Tree6255Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

My personal love of Ikea is not the furniture so much, but the Market area where they have all the kitchenware and (my personal love) storage items. The older I get, the more retentive I get so I get all joyful when I see stacking boxes made of birch that will fit in a closet or wooden magazine holders or chrome bathroom stuff that cleans up nicely. And I got the boys a nice little 100% wool Persian rug the last time I was there. Oh yeah, I also bought my kitchen cabinets and counter tops at about 1/3 the price they would have cost from Home Depot. And, of course, I love them for the pull out wire baskets and adjustable doors.

And yes, they have food. I've never eaten at the restaurant, but I have a friend who occasionally takes his son there for breakfast (which is apparently good and inexpensive), so that after they eat Liam can play in the play area while my friend reads the paper.

They also have an area where they sell Swedish foods and for years I wondered just what the heck was a Swedish meatball, so the last time I was there I bought some. I'm still not sure what distinguishes them from the meatballs of other lands, but they are some good and I've found that they make a nice change of pace for lunch sometimes - meatballs in tomato sauce with a salad and some fruit.

ETA: Just fully read misskitty's post - whoops. Sorry for repeating, but glad someone else loves Ikea as much as I do .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I had my first Ikea meatballs this past vacation. Gosh, that sounds silly, but they are worth mentioning!!! Darn fine fare, and in today's prices practically a free lunch....

Okay, here goes a little of my tech rant...

Why is it that all of these great timesaving devices, things like cells, blackberries, copy machines, etc... all cost us more time? The average workday has only increased dramatically using all of these great innovations!

Fine, I love my cell and most things techy, but aren't these devices really defeating their original purpose? Isn't technology supposed to be freeing us from the everyday dolldrums of work?

I find it ironic that when my Dad was a University grad that the talk was everyone would be working a 3 or 4 day work week in the near future. Seriously -- that was a common consensus back in the day. Or look at the photocopy paper example. In the mid-eighties as desktop computers were taking off paper companies thought they were going to lose all of their business.............of course paper production, thanks to printers has, quadrupled.

Okay, I think I'm starting to ramble at this point, but it felt great to get off my chest!

My 2 cents of crazy......
    I knew everything at 18, and know nothing at 38.
    I'm happier knowing nothing.

Oh, I completely agree with you, Sun84, about the ridiculously wasteful effect that technology has had on our lives and on our environment. When I started at my last job, about 15 years ago, all the clients' records were kept in a series of ledger books, maybe 15 books in total. When a transaction occurred, it was marked on the next line of the ledger sheet and the book put back in its place. These ledgers had been in use for about 30 years, and a page or two shredded every couple of years. When we went computer in order to keep up with the modern world, these transactions were entered into the computer instead of the ledger and every day a yuuuggge report was printed, and at the end of every week an even yuuuggger report was printed. And each and every one of these reports was shredded to make way for the following day's report. And of course, everyone had to work a little harder and a little longer to keep up with the endless flow of paper in and out of the office.

And about the original "timesaving" devices - I don't have a dishwasher or a dryer, but I know that it doesn't take me any more time to do my dishes or dry my clothes (well, they do dry slower [but smell nicer], but my involvement isn't really increased significantly) than it takes my neighbours. Actually, I remember reading a study about these things a few years ago, and apparently women ended up spending more time on housework with the advent of new technology than they did when they had to do everything manually. No tomato tossing please - this was back when men actually didn't do housework .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

That's exactly what I'm talking about!

I gotta tell ya, my personal philosophy behind a successful marriage is that you have to pitch in and do half of the house work. My wife loves to cook, it's a stress releaser for her. So I do all of the cleaning. Together we do all the chores, and it leaves sooooo much more time for the other things that make marriage wonderful...

Okay.........almost all. I'm still a guy and thus have zero ability to see dust. Nor does my vocabulary contain the word dust. "Dust" -- this strange noise that emits from females upon occasion -- is as mysterious as the fabled fruitcake (of which there are only 13, a baker's dozen, which rotate the earth endlessly..).

And if any wife is out there who can't get there man interested in doing the vacuuming 3 times a week -- buy a Dyson Vacuum!!!! Serious!!! 100,000 times gravity suction, It's like mowing the lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Sun84 View Post
    ........is as mysterious as the fabled fruitcake (of which there are only 13, a baker's dozen, which rotate the earth endlessly..).
    Ummm, Mr. Rattus and I eat four fruitcakes every year . There have GOT to be more than 13 because if I don't get my FCs this Christmas, I will not be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Ummm, Mr. Rattus and I eat four fruitcakes every year . There have GOT to be more than 13 because if I don't get my FCs this Christmas, I will not be happy.
    My bad! I don't want to tread on anyone's Christmas traditions! My humor is as dry as burnt toast sometimes....

Truly, no problem . I know that Mr. Rattus and I are the only people on the planet who actually love fruitcake, so I make my own every October.

Yeah, there are definitely more than fifty because I usually make, and sell, that many each year. Several Forters have eaten my fruitcake and all said that they like it. I do hope we're not dealing with a bunch of liars here.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    Yeah, there are definitely more than fifty because I usually make, and sell, that many each year. Several Forters have eaten my fruitcake and all said that they like it. I do hope we're not dealing with a bunch of liars here.
    I think that everyone secretly likes fruitcake. I mean it's fruit, it's cake, it's booze - what's not to like .

I think that everyone secretly likes fruitcake. I mean it's fruit, it's cake, it's booze - what's not to like .
    I.....I....I've never had anyone break it down like that for me before! I am soooo going to try a piece this Christmas!!!

Anyone know where they sell off-season fruit cake???

+ Reply to Thread