+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6553Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I've never understood the concept of nursing homes. For one thing, with all of the formula (formulae?) available, I don't see a demand. Secondly, it seems that the only women in nursing homes are elderly, and I have trouble believing that they can still lactate
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am embarassed to tell you that it took me a while to "get" your post.....and now that I have........I do wonder about you sometimes!!!

I hate buffets. They are so wasted on me. I look at all of the food that they lay out, and it ruins my appetite. For the cost, it's just not worth it to me. Of course, my son loves it, so we still get stuck there on occasion. And, then, I don't find the food to be anything other than mediocre. Poor me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My sister gets totally grossed out by buffets. She's seen too many "incidents" at salad bars and such and its ruined her for life. I think it was the little boy we saw dropping the chocolate syrup spoon on the floor, chasing it under a table, and plopping it back in the syrup that did her in.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I Is Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2558759;
    My sister gets totally grossed out by buffets. She's seen too many "incidents" at salad bars and such and its ruined her for life. I think it was the little boy we saw dropping the chocolate syrup spoon on the floor, chasing it under a table, and plopping it back in the syrup that did her in.
    It was when I realized that someone had dumped the ENTIRE bottle of Italian vinagrette with black pepper kernals into the tub of apple sauce that buffets started to look less appetizing.

And I'll agree about the clothes. I'll lend my coats to people for a short while, but only because most of them have my dad's name embroidered on them, and are about a million sizes too big, so that they can't stretch them out! I refuse to borrow people's clothes though, because, as cool as it feels at first, after a while I start to wonder where the clothes have been that I don't know about, and it kind of weirds me out.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Have you ever wondered who/what the clothes you try on in the store have been through? They ought to sell those things as used clothes. Did the people trying them on before you have "cooties"....when was the last time they bathed??? Yikes!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I have horror stories about trying on bathing suits at high end department stores! And they have nothing to do with staring at my body in the mirror! I wash everything I buy before I wear them...and I like to keep a layer between myself and any bathing suit type of thing I try on at a store...

I Is Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2558865;
    I have horror stories about trying on bathing suits at high end department stores! And they have nothing to do with staring at my body in the mirror! I wash everything I buy before I wear them...and I like to keep a layer between myself and any bathing suit type of thing I try on at a store...

Huh. I thought that it was a law or something. Every dressing room I've ever been in had a sign in it that said that you HAD to keep at least your undergarments on when trying on clothes. And I thought it was interesting/nice that one Macy's I went to said that the dressing rooms were video monitored by someone (of the same sex), and if you were caught trying something on without a layer of seperation, you would have to pay for it, regardless of whether you liked it or not.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2558865;

Yes, I do this, too, because of one super-gross experience a long time ago... My oldest daughter thought it was weird to see me try on swimsuits over panties, but then I told her why and she got squicked out just thinking about it! She won't try anything on that requires removal of any undergarments.

And Steph, you're right that most stores post some sort of signage about it, but few, if any, enforce it. Maybe your Macy's was the exception, but I know for a fact my local Macy's doesn't require it - I've tried on strapless/backless dresses minus an undergarment... You have to sometimes to see how those dresses are going to look!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2558873;
    Huh. I thought that it was a law or something. Every dressing room I've ever been in had a sign in it that said that you HAD to keep at least your undergarments on when trying on clothes. And I thought it was interesting/nice that one Macy's I went to said that the dressing rooms were video monitored by someone (of the same sex), and if you were caught trying something on without a layer of seperation, you would have to pay for it, regardless of whether you liked it or not.
    Underage drinking and smoking pot also is against the law, but people do it all the time.

I've never seen a dressing room that had signs saying that the dressing rooms were monitored by videos--is that even legal?--but they do have the signs that say the dressing rooms are monitored by the female personnel. I always took that to mean that someone might pop in at any moment!

NEW bathing suits all come with those sanitary strips on bikini bottoms--let me just say that I've seen enough bathing suits at Nordstrom's that either had the strips peeled off or had, um, soiled strips to know that not all customers are wearing their undergarments when trying on bathing suits. TOTALLY GROSS!

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2558485;
    srs - I have a question you may be able to help with. My oldest daughter has mentioned semi-frequently that she wants to volunteer at a nursing home near her school in the afternoons. She is in 8th grade this year, 13 years old. She wondered if spending an hour or so there reading to the residents or simply chatting would be helpful? She's not sure what she needs to do to get this going, if it is at all possible at her age. She asked me what I thought, and I am entirely supportive, but she asked me to allow her to call and find out what the steps she needs to take to volunteer. (That's her independant nature showing through...) She seems to think it will be a simple matter of calling to see if it's okay, then just showing up. I think it's more complicated than that. Can you advise? She is a mature and responsible child, but I'm worried that she'd be in the way more than actually helping. And she doesn't know anyone there, so she can be a little shy in situations like that. But I think it's a more worthwhile idea for community service than anything else she's mentioned. Any ideas or advise you have here or in a PM would be greatly appreciated!
    I didnt read ahead to see if anyone else answered. Usually volunteers have to fill out paperwork, they make all volunteers do that at our place, no matter if they are just going in to read or talk to someone...just going in to read or talk to them is wonderful! they dont get that enough, when you call ask to talk to the activities person, cause they are usually the people that are in charge of volunteers...she may also have something that your daughter can do to help with activities to..

I know that adults have to do a criminal background check, Im not sure how old that starts lol but thats another thing that volunteers do..

thats so wonderful! they need as many caring people to talk to them as possible..they are sick, they are sad, they are scared...but theyre still alive, theyre still people..sometimes a handhold or hug can make their whole day.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread