+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7112Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

schmoo, I am so VERY sorry to hear about your loss. I send my condolensces.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;2557753;
    I couldnt imagine not going in to see my grandma if she was in a nursing home.
    My sister in law was telling me about one of her patients, who recently passed away. She was wealthy, and had many children. Granted, the children lived in other states, but not one of them visited their mother during the entire 5 years that my sister in law was caring for this woman. They were basically waiting for their mother to die so they could inherit her property etc. It's in situations like this that I can understand why someone would leave their fortunes to everyone else (including their dogs!) but their own children... They obviously knew this poor woman was too far gone to change her will at that point... Anyhow, so it was the nurses and the staff who threw this woman birthday parties, celebrated holidays with her etc. My sister in law did catch some staff members trying to take advantage of this patient (accepting cash they shouldn't be accepting from a woman who didn't realize she wasn't supposed to pay them since her power of attorney was paying all her bills from her trust), but dealt with that in an appropriate manner. My sister in law is awesome--she's compassionate, but will not take any crap from colleagues who aren't being professional.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;2557753;
    aww thanks guys..I wasnt looking for compliments lol my job is SO rewarding...especially, like some of you said..for some of my residents whose families dont come..we are their family...I think it must be hard for some families to come in and see their loved ones like that, Ive taken care of the same people for 3 years and knew they had family..but they never came in..I dont know everyones story of course..but I couldnt imagine not going in to see my grandma if she was in a nursing home.
    srs - I have a question you may be able to help with. My oldest daughter has mentioned semi-frequently that she wants to volunteer at a nursing home near her school in the afternoons. She is in 8th grade this year, 13 years old. She wondered if spending an hour or so there reading to the residents or simply chatting would be helpful? She's not sure what she needs to do to get this going, if it is at all possible at her age. She asked me what I thought, and I am entirely supportive, but she asked me to allow her to call and find out what the steps she needs to take to volunteer. (That's her independant nature showing through...) She seems to think it will be a simple matter of calling to see if it's okay, then just showing up. I think it's more complicated than that. Can you advise? She is a mature and responsible child, but I'm worried that she'd be in the way more than actually helping. And she doesn't know anyone there, so she can be a little shy in situations like that. But I think it's a more worthwhile idea for community service than anything else she's mentioned. Any ideas or advise you have here or in a PM would be greatly appreciated!

Remote, SRS would know better, but when I was in high school (14 or 15?), one of our extracurricular activities involved helping out the community. I chose talking to the elderly in a nursing home. Of course, I'm sure lots of things were involved that I was not aware of, but my job was simply befriending one or two elderly and spending an hour with them.

You know what annoys me? I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath to hear my reply...

When I ask the husband if he's hungry, and he says no. I tell him I'm going to heat up some leftovers to eat. Is he sure he doesn't want anything. No, he says. Then as I sit down with my snack/meal/whatever, he'll look over and say, "That looks good." Good gosh, man! How can you go from "stuffed" to "hungry" within a span of 2 minutes?! Just tell me when I'm heating it up and I'll make a plate for you, too. I HATE THAT.

Also on a food related theme, I really can't stand it when you're at a restaurant and people don't order what they want to eat 'cause they're dieting or whatever. So when my food comes, they'll steal my fries, eat my dessert or what not. I don't mind sharing a little...but don't eat the majority of my meal! Women are notorious for doing this. I LOVE FOOD and am not shy about ordering what I want to eat. Don't order a salad and an iced tea and then eat my meal, too! I hate having to share food when I'm hungry. I'm greedy about food that way...

Can you tell someone needs a big lunch SOON?!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I also hated for someone to ask me to borrow my clothes. Definite no-no. :nono
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2558581;

Borrowing books is my peeve and I just don't lend them out anymore as I never get them back and in several cases the person lost them and never offered to buy a replacement.

I try so hard not to borrow anything from anyone and if I do, I am so paranoid about taking care of the item and getting it back in a timely manner, that its not worth it to borrow. But I have yet to be treated with the same respect, so I try really hard not to lend either. I know that sounds selfish and I used to be the first one to suggest "Oh you can borrow mine". But now I've learned better. Borrowing mine usually means I don't even get it back or it takes months to get it back or its not in the same shape if and when I do get it back.

Lois, you need to eat out with me. Since I can't eat a full portion anymore, I usually order what I want and then offer it all around the table because I just can't eat all of it. If out with my husband, we will usually order an appetizer and one meal and I eat off both and he doesn't mind. But I'd never do that to friends. Unless one offers to split an entree with me which I did several times this past weekend. But because of my surgery, I never eat the bread, french fries or other sides and usually only half or less of the main entree so I could feed your hungry dieting friends and let you enjoy your meal.
    But I know what you mean. My daughter used to do this to me a lot
    and I hated it.

Nursing homes. Both my grandmothers were in nursing homes and it was extremely difficult for me to visit. They neither one knew who I was. It was hard to carry on any conversation with them and the conditions in a lot of the homes are deplorable. I also used to feel extremely anxious around some of the other patients. But I still went. I didn't much like it, but I went. Now when my dad was in a nursing home for a while, he was very much cognicent and it was a pleasure visiting him.
    I just could not imagine not visiting my loved ones, even if I was uncomfortable in the surroundings, they were my family.
    And now, that they are all gone, I'd gladly give anything to be able to visit them anywhere, including a nursing home.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-05-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2558581;
    I had one friend who theoretically wore the same size shoes as me, but her feet were so wide that she always stretched her shoes out. She always wanted to borrow my shoes...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww on so many levels! I always made excuses and she never took "no" for an answer very well.

Oh, what's even more annoying than the dieters who eat all my food is that when they check comes, they only want to pay for their portion (i.e. the crumbs they ordered).

ETA: mrd, I'd love to share a meal with you! And I'd pay more for lunch since I'd be eating the majority of the food!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2558598;

ETA: mrd, I'd love to share a meal with you! And I'd pay more for lunch since I'd be eating the majority of the food!
    Oh can we go soon. Apparantly my family existed on pizza and dip the few days I was gone and there is NO food in this house. I am starving and had cherrios for lunch. Since my husband is so cheap, um, I mean frugal, I'm surprised he didn't shop and cook as he prefers it to me doing it as he says I spend too much at the grocery and he doesn't like to eat out so much for the same cheap reasons. Now I'm tired and still haven't unpacked and I really don't want to go to the store, but I do want to eat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm a lover of buffets. That way, when something looks good on another's plate, you can go get one yourself!

As far as nursing homes go, I told my boys that if they ever have to put me in one due to alzheimers, do not visit me. That is my personal preference. If it were my mother, I would go visit. If it were one of my sisters, I would go visit.

+ Reply to Thread