+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5836Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I was driving my (then) 15 year old daughter and 2 friends to a rival basketball game the next town over and a cop pulled me over for a headlight out (that I didn't know about). I have a spotless driving record, but when he came back from checking it and my daughter had just reached in the back for a kleenex, he went ballistic, shining the flashlight in her eyes and asking her what she had just "hidden" in the back. She was dumbstruck and I started to explain about the kleenex and he vebally attacked me for putting words in her mouth. I mean, it was waaaaay out of line. I admit I make sure I'm doing the speed limit through their town now.
    Count your blessings!

When I do a good deed it's because that's what I would want others to do if I were the one needing help. Sometimes it backfires on me - sometimes not. But I still do it.

schmoo2 - My sympathies for the loss of your mom. And I agree - hospice people are angels on earth. We used hospice for my mom and my aunt, and in both cases (once in Massachusetts and once in New Jersey) they were absolutely wonderful. I still get letters from the New Jersey hospice regarding my aunt, and she died 1 1/2 year ago.

My sympathies for the loss of your mom Schmoo.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;2556985;
    I am a CNA at a long term care facility..and thank you, I do realize that most people are happy and thrilled that we are there, I hope my post didnt come across as insensative, I just needed to vent a little...most families are wonderful, its those few that give me problems that really stress me out.

and Im sorry about your mother, hospice people are angels, truley..I could never work hospice all the time, its hard enough for me losing one that I care so much about, I couldnt go through that all the time.
    Sorry to hear this happened to you, it probably isn't all that uncommon though. I think family's get frustrated and take it out on the wrong people.

As much as I like Aunt Ruth, when my grandfather was in the nursing home she was very mean to them nurses, to the point of telling them what they should feed him and not feed my grandfather. She acted if my grandfather was the only person in the facility.

I truly commend you on the work that you do. I know your job can be stressful and probably depressing myself. But I am sure it can be very rewarding.
    Last edited by snarkattack; 09-04-2007 at 08:37 AM.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

schmoo, I'm very sorry for your loss.

srs, I have family members who do what you do and it's a fulfilling but very difficult job, especially since the CNAs often are the only people who check in on some patients (whose own family members rarely come to visit). I do know there are some very lazy nurses (just as there are lazy people in any field) whose answer to everything is, "I don't know. I didn't work that shift," and will make no attempt to find someone who can help the family out. I know of several people who moved their loved ones out of those facilities into places where the staff as a whole took responsiblity for the patients--and not just the ones who were working that shift. You do a very difficult job that I know I couldn't do, so thank you!

schmoo, I am very sorry to hear about your Mother.

I lost my Mother July 14 and I know that it is heart breaking but it does get better, a little everyday.

srs, bless you for all that you do for your patients. I am now watching out for my Father and even though he can still live on his own, I still feel overwhelmed and frustrated. I know I could never do what you do and still smile.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2557215;
    Do those repeated earthquakes, hurt the integrity of your home ?

I'm just glad it didn't hurt you/your family, and I'm thinking the dogs must be used to it, huh ?
    Echo, earthquakes can most definitely compromise the integrity of your home, at the very least. I don't believe our dogs are used to them, since they've 'only' experienced about three, but it didn't last long so they most likely forgot about it the minute they locked eyes on the treat jar. Fortunately, we're fine. I'm a native Californian, and within minutes, it's business as usual.

Schmoo, have you seen our thread started by lopevian regarding losing a mother? It might be comforting for you to check it out, and in the meantime, please add my condolences to those before me. My sympathies are with you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

aww thanks guys..I wasnt looking for compliments lol my job is SO rewarding...especially, like some of you said..for some of my residents whose families dont come..we are their family...I think it must be hard for some families to come in and see their loved ones like that, Ive taken care of the same people for 3 years and knew they had family..but they never came in..I dont know everyones story of course..but I couldnt imagine not going in to see my grandma if she was in a nursing home.

the fact is, nobody WANTS to be in a nursing home, so them being happy to leave,I understand..heck Im happy to see them leave..there is nothing like the feeling of seeing someone walk out the door, when they couldnt even move before...amazing. You cant do the kind of work I do, and not be changed..70, 80 years old..arent old to me anymore, they have more spunk and spirit then half the people my age

I had a better day today, but I sure appreciate all the words
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2557448;
    Echo, earthquakes can most definitely compromise the integrity of your home, at the very least. I don't believe our dogs are used to them, since they've 'only' experienced about three, but it didn't last long so they most likely forgot about it the minute they locked eyes on the treat jar. Fortunately, we're fine. I'm a native Californian, and within minutes, it's business as usual.

Schmoo, have you seen our thread started by lopevian regarding losing a mother? It might be comforting for you to check it out, and in the meantime, please add my condolences to those before me. My sympathies are with you.
    I can't believe I didn't feel the earthquake. I read that it was one sharp jolt and not a roller. Maybe that is why. My apartment sits directly on top of the Newport fault and there was a 2.0 on that fault a couple of weeks ago with not so much as a blinds swaying back and forth. But, then anything under a 3 is usually not felt. Anyway, I check the Recent Earthquake Map daily and that is how I found out about the shaker in your area. I'm glad it calmed down quickly.

Another shout out to hospice and nursing home workers...I still receive a newsletter from the hospice group who helped with Dad last autumn and one thing for which I'm very thankful, is that they gently led me through what to expect during the final two weeks of his life. Believe me, knowing the details, gruesome as they were, really helped me accept his death.

Thank you roseskid for pointing out the forum for those who have lost mothers. I add my condolences, Schmoo. No matter your age, losing one's mother is very hard.

As some of you know, my Dad died three weeks after my Mom died - both from chronic disease. But, because Dad seemed to need me more, I have many more issues with not being with Mom when she needed me the most.

Harking back up thread to the discussion of religion, death and redemption, I have to say that maybe my firm NO and stern face kept the question of a religious service out of the burial plans for both my parents. My Mom was an atheist and would have been appalled, and my Dad followed her lead. So, Mom's "graveside" service was very short rememberances and goodbyes, while Dad's was a tad longer because it included the military send off.

Even though both were anti-religion, my brother and I were exposed to mainstream protestantism from an early age and both of us, maybe as a rebellion, became active church members in our young adult lives. Even though the membership wasn't there for me 15 years ago when I needed them the most, I still carry a sense of spirituality within me. I won't go back into a church setting, but it did give me a sense of social and earthly awareness that I wouldn't have developed otherwise.

Thanks for allowing me to klatch with you. I'm still working out issues, but maybe I can take them out on the new Bachelor, or maybe I'll experience the next jolt along the SoCal fault lines and that will clear my sinuses.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Thank you all for your caring and kind words. I did go to that thread. I needed to get parts of it out of my head. I'm in a period of very mixed emotions right now.

+ Reply to Thread