+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6264Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Gut, that lady sounds like a freak! I can't believe you have to deal with people like that...sheesh!

snark, you did a good deed and the recipient of that good deed (your neighbor) thanked you, so that probably made you feel good. I wouldn't try to second guess why the police were so suspicious of your activities. I think in a lot of cases, they want to protect the female--and maybe they were overzealous in your intentions. Maybe they were just racists getting off on their power. You did a good thing and I thank you for taking the time to help someone who needed it.

When I do something to help someone, I do it because I want to and, on a selfish level, I know that it will make me feel good to do something nice. Sometimes it does backfire, but more often than not it's good all around. The really annoying time is when I stick up for someone and that person doesn't reciprocate. Usually that's in a work situation, where some weasely manager will be going off on someone, I'll stand up for him or her, and then the tirade gets turned against me. But no one has the balls to stand up for me including the aforementioned colleague who will just silently sit there and watch me get attacked. I find that annoying, but not unexpected. And I just defend myself then. I guess my feeling is I can take care of myself, but some people need our help.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2556387;
    Gut, that lady sounds like a freak! I can't believe you have to deal with people like that...sheesh!

snark, you did a good deed and the recipient of that good deed (your neighbor) thanked you, so that probably made you feel good. I wouldn't try to second guess why the police were so suspicious of your activities. I think in a lot of cases, they want to protect the female--and maybe they were overzealous in your intentions. Maybe they were just racists getting off on their power. You did a good thing and I thank you for taking the time to help someone who needed it.

When I do something to help someone, I do it because I want to and, on a selfish level, I know that it will make me feel good to do something nice. Sometimes it does backfire, but more often than not it's good all around. The really annoying time is when I stick up for someone and that person doesn't reciprocate. Usually that's in a work situation, where some weasely manager will be going off on someone, I'll stand up for him or her, and then the tirade gets turned against me. But no one has the balls to stand up for me including the aforementioned colleague who will just silently sit there and watch me get attacked. I find that annoying, but not unexpected. And I just defend myself then. I guess my feeling is I can take care of myself, but some people need our help.
    I agree I think I help people for both reasons. Some of it is because I want to help other people, the other reason it probably is somewhat selfish in the sense that I want to feel good.

There also is another side. I don't take such good care of taking care of myself. In some ways, I project how I wish I took care of myself onto other people.

Hello, hello we are back from Niagara Falls and the Toronto Zoo. We had a great time, there were no mishaps and the weather co operated. I missed a few topics in here I see.
    snark.. I think you should continue to do your good deeds.. because the person you tried to help got help it was actually a bystander that was being a jerk.
    I'm with Lois, it makes me feel good to help. I'll continue to do it because it's my nature.. it seems to be your's too snark, don't fight it.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

When I do something to help someone, I do it because I want to and, on a selfish level, I know that it will make me feel good to do something nice
    that reminds me of the friends episode where phoebe is trying to find a good deed that isnt selfish, and she lets a bee sting her, but then joey(or someone) tells her the bee died after it stung her, so it wasnt a good deed after all, and joey is on a telethon, so she calls in and donates all her money, but it get joey on tv, and makes her feel good anyways...selfish hehe Im a friends addict!

I had a rough day at work today, sometimes it is great dealing with residents families, and they are really grateful, but today I had a really bad run in with a residents wife, she found something she didnt think I did right, and verbally beat me up, until I was in tears...I ended up getting two coworkers to go get him ready for lunch, cause I just didnt want to deal with it. I realize that sometimes families are grieving that their loved ones are ill, and they take that stress and frustration out on us...but it is hard to take sometimes.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

I'm not sure exactly what you do srs, but I have just spent a month with Hospice there for my mother (she passed away last week) - and I am eternally grateful to anyone who is in that line of work.
    so, by extension, Thank You for all you do. {{hugs}}

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2556914;
    I'm not sure exactly what you do srs, but I have just spent a month with Hospice there for my mother (she passed away last week) - and I am eternally grateful to anyone who is in that line of work.
    so, by extension, Thank You for all you do. {{hugs}}
    I am a CNA at a long term care facility..and thank you, I do realize that most people are happy and thrilled that we are there, I hope my post didnt come across as insensative, I just needed to vent a little...most families are wonderful, its those few that give me problems that really stress me out.

and Im sorry about your mother, hospice people are angels, truley..I could never work hospice all the time, its hard enough for me losing one that I care so much about, I couldnt go through that all the time.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

My condolences to you schmoo2 on the loss of your mom... sending an Alabama and your way......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Schmoo2: My condolences from Alabama as well. Take care.

srs: Your post was not insensitive at all. Two of my grandparents spent the last years of their lives in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. My parents and I have always been grateful to the people who cared for them so lovingly. When my grandmother died, several of the women who worked at the nursing home came to her funeral. I went with my Dad to clean out my grandmother's room a few days later and these same women made coffee for us and helped us with the removal of my grandmother's stuff. Bless you for what you do. I know that is a very trying job - but you sound like you really enjoy it and are good at it.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2555693;
    It sounds like a lot of frustration is going on for our Fort members. Gut, I'm sorry you lost out on such a perfect class for you. I hope you find something else you'll enjoy that will meet your requirements.

My house just jolted like a semi rammed it which leads me to believe we just had an earthquake. I'm trying to get information on it, but it's only been minutes so it hasn't hit the airwaves yet. Damn, I hate these things and with as many as I've experienced, you'd think I'd be a little less edgy about them. I'm watching the water in the pool slosh back and forth and hoping this earthquake will fill our quota for a while and that no one's been hurt.

ETA: Earthquake info is coming in and it's being clocked at 4.7. *shudder*

My neighbor was putting in a cement driveway and patio this spring and the cement truck hit the corner of his house. It did a bunch of external damage ... gutters, etc., but they were very concerned about unseen damage like the roof shifting, etc., and had it inspected.

Do those repeated earthquakes, hurt the integrity of your home ?

I'm just glad it didn't hurt you/your family, and I'm thinking the dogs must be used to it, huh ?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2555820;
    I think I did the good deed, because I truly wanted to help someone else. My old car had a broken gas gage, and tons of other problems. I know you can keep track with the milage counter, but I can't tell you how many times I ran out of gas or had some other problem and someone came and stopped, usually just civilans were to the rescue.

There were days where it was pouring rain and although people didn't always give me rides to the gas station, one person once stopped there car and handed me there umbrella. I also have been stuck in snow mounds, before and random people came and helped me out.

I know what a terrible feeling it is when you are stuck in the middle of the road, people are honking at you, but either your car is dead, no gas, or some other problem.

Actually for the most part, its regular folks who are the kindest. Police officers for the most part were not really that friendly in my situations nor today. I am not lumping all people in law enforcement into one category, but today although not my car problems I was disappointed how they treated me and the girl. When I was in the car ride to the gas station the girl commented on how rude the cops were.
    I have had so many car problems in the past. I sort of forgot it wasn't my car.

Thank God, I have a new car and have no problems yet.

Although, I would do what I did again. I wish I had not today.
    I was recently shocked at one of our local police officers too. I went to City Hall to pick up some clean-up kits offered by the Red Cross in the aftermath of our rough spell of stormy weather. I requested one for myself and one for a neighbor who is older and disabled. Each "kit" consists of a long box which holds the mop and broom ... not too heavy, but awkward to carry ... and a smaller box with cleaning supplies, bucket, sponges, brush, gloves, and liquid cleaners, bleach and disinfectants ... smallish cube box, but heavy. City Hall was closing and I had to hurry and I would have had to make a minimum of two trips and my car was a block away. So I asked a Police officer if he would give me a hand. He did so, but very obviously reluctantly. He first threw both the heavy smaller boxes in my arms ... but then changed his mind when he saw me wilt a little ... and threw them down and thrust the two long, awkward mop boxes at me and turned his back and started walking out the door. He walked in front of me looking PO'd all the way to my car and when we got close to it, he threw everything on the sidewalk and said "they aren't that heavy" and walked away. I'm no mope, and if City Hall wasn't closing, I would have made 4 trips if I had to, but the Police Officers attitude and actions really surprised me. I had to chalk it up to him perhaps having had a really rough week with the aftermath of the storm and all. But still ... their motto is "We Protect and Serve" ... but I guess nowhere does it say "Serve willingly and with a smile.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread