+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4437Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

ugh, so I signed up for my classes, but found out that the math class I signed up for(I have to go in the evening) is individualized..which means that you get your assignemnts ahead of time, and then just do them at your own speed...you go in a room where people are there to help you..but nobody really teaches you..and i know i dont have the dicipline for that, so I went online to try again, and it appears all the evening math classes are that way..I cant imagine that is true, so I tried other classes, and cant bring up any other classes in the evening..since I know they have classes in the evening, I guess Ill have to go in, I must be clicking something wrong lol

very interesting post I know :p
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;2554578;
    ugh, so I signed up for my classes, but found out that the math class I signed up for(I have to go in the evening) is individualized..which means that you get your assignemnts ahead of time, and then just do them at your own speed...you go in a room where people are there to help you..but nobody really teaches you..and i know i dont have the dicipline for that, so I went online to try again, and it appears all the evening math classes are that way..I cant imagine that is true, so I tried other classes, and cant bring up any other classes in the evening..since I know they have classes in the evening, I guess Ill have to go in, I must be clicking something wrong lol

ugh is right. I really am not good in math at all and not actually having someone running a "typical" class would not be conducive to me learning. Maybe when you go in you will also find a "typical" class.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;2554578;

horrible. I hate that kind of class. I had one similar to that in high school. I dropped that class. I still ended up with 4 math credits, so I didn't need it. My teacher would give us the homework to do, but not teach us how to do it before the homework was due. He'd "teach" it to us when we reviewed the homework. I need someone to show me how it's done first, not review it with me after I've unsuccessfully tried to do it on my own. That's too frustrating.

I hope you are able to find an alternative.

The so-called "individualized" (do-it-yourself) classes are a cheap fix that various schools come up with to deal with budget cuts. Paper costs less than a salary for a professor or instructor -- or even a TA. Assignments are supposed to be practice for what you've just been taught, and a professional makes adjustments in instruction based on how well the students complete the assignment -- whether more or less time, or method of presentation, etc. True "individualized" instruction involves more instructor involvement with fewer students. IMO, schools who slap together these do-it-yourself classes and call them "individualized" are ripping their tuition-paying students and taxpayers off. The result is someone who has the credits on paper without having gained the actual knowledge.

Of course, places like that are what keep people like me in business!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

which means that you get your assignemnts ahead of time, and then just do them at your own speed...
    I took a hydraulics course in college that was like that. I got an A in the class, but the only thing that I remember from it is that water flows downhill. I think.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

yeah, I really really dont want to do school that way, if those are the only evening classes, then Ill find a different class so I can go to school during the day when I take math..I have to take evening classes at least this semester..I am a CNA, I work day shift at a nursing home, but Im thinking of working Agency, which is where you are basically on call for any facility that needs you, and they send you somewhere new every day. The pros for this is you can make your own schedule(so I can work around school, plus I can be off if I need to be any day) and you dont have the drama of being in the same place everyday..there is a lot of cattiness among nursing home employees..Ive done the same thing for 4 years, and it may be easier to get through school if I can take shifts around school...everytime we use agency they tell me all the good things about it..and they tell me that they get more work then they could ever use...I dont know if I want to leave a place where I know the people I take care of, but theres something appealing about being able to pick your own schedule..
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

As much as you might not want to hear it, you may do well to take a remedial math class to get you ready for going on further. I did it, and it really helped. It doesn't mean that you are a dummy...it just may mean that you need some brushing up. I also would use (which would probably help you out with this class you are currently not happy with) a programmed learning math workbook. They had them at every level, and it did an excellent job of explaining the math to you, all with step-by-step instructions, and self-tests. All of the answers were in the back of the workbook. It was all layed out there for you. I loved those workbooks. It made all of the difference in the world. I ended up finding out that I actually enjoyed math! Take some deep breaths, and don't be intimidated! The help is out there. I've seen the programmed learning books available on Amazon.com, for sure, but your college bookstore may carry them, too. Sure beats paying a tutor.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Sure beats paying a tutor.
    :nono Bite your tongue!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I'm so upset. I was really psyched about a class I was taking this fall - Sociolinguistics, about how language shapes your personal culture. It fulfilled both my "highly qualified" (languages) requirement and hedges my bets in case they cut my curriculum due to budget problems - I have a lot of English grad electives from my master's program. I could bump an English teacher if I had to. But not enough people signed up so it was cancelled. Booo! Now I have to go back and find something else to take since we are required to take a course every 3 years and my time is up.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fan

Ugh. I was trying to be nice.

I am not posting this to toot my own horn, but rather frustrated. Because I do these kind of things a lot(frustrate myself and do nice things), but this time I am just amazed by rudeness, self centerness etc

I was pulling out of my apartment complex and there was a girl in front of me. Her car stalls. She says I think I ran out of gas. She puts her car in neutral and I tried to push her back. No luck. There is another gentlemen close by and he tries to help. No luck.

A policemen passes and stops for a second and passes by. He wasn't from the same city, but the next burb over. I don't know if he signals someone, but he speeds off (probably busy with Jerry's kids) We needed is help.

Finally, 2 cops come and we are able to push the car back. It was in the middle of a BUSY street. I said I will just run her up to the gas station. Maybe I wasn't speaking clearly, I might of been a little nervous, and he says "What?" I said I will run her to the gas station and get one of those red tanks, he says don't you mean container??. He knew what I was talking, I said the wrong thing. He knew what I meant.

He then says to me, Do you know her, I said no, but we live in the same apartment complex. He then says to her do you know, she said no, but we live in the same apartment complex. Even though I offered to take her to the gas station I am surprised the police didn't step in.

I go to the gas station she buys one of those red containers and a guy pulls up with his family at the tank we are about to use. I said we are using this one. He utters something sarcastic.

We fill it up we come back to the apartment complex and one of the policemen is still there. I screwed the thing on wrong and it got stuck. Luckily, the girl had plyers in her car so we can unscrew it. As I am unscrewing it and getting gasoline all over my hands. The policemen is just watching. He says to the girl watch your face, so you don't gas on it.

Finally, I get it off and & we are trying getting the car started it ends up that it probably wasn't gas because the engine would not turn over at all.

A lot of the situation pisses me off, but I think race played a factor. I am white, she is black. Both about the same age. I don't think asking if we knew each other was uncommon, but the following is what makes me angry.

Both policemen were black, one was nice, the other arrogant. The arrogant and maybe racist one made it so noticeable not to thank me, but thank the black pedistran who helped push the car, but REFUSED to say anything to me. Would not even crack a smile. He was the one that was also correcting me on what you call the "red container" and asking how we know each other.

I kind of knew the arrogant cop because he once stopped me for having too much snow on the back of my car.

The community I live in is very small. Mostly businesses. There city hall has been on the local news for a racist scandal, It has to do with the mayor and firing of the police chief. The Mayor is black the police chief is black. The mayor ordered the firing of 2 white officers. The black police chief thought the Mayo was acting racist, & refused to fire them. She then fired him. The scandal is kind of disgusting if you ask me. Its actually being taken to the national level.

Now I have gasoine all over me and taking shower.

No, I don't want a thank you for everything I do, but I am a little pissed. At least the girl was thankful.
    Last edited by snarkattack; 09-02-2007 at 01:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread