+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6758Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

It is so nice to hear (read) discussion about religion without the arguing that can go on. I have gone to different churches and denominations all my life. As long as I feel welcome and the sermons have a hopeful message and the congregation is positive rather than negative, I love to go.

I remember my christening I still have a few shards of glass in my scalp from when they broke the champagne bottle over my forehead.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Yeah, but wasn't that last month?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon;2550514;
    I agree with this to, I wont go to that church..but Im still going to go to church..I also believe fully that you need to not base your faith on the people you meet in church, because they are human to.
    Very much agree. I get a lot out of my church and this has been the only really unpleasant incident. I was just floored by it and wanted to know if I was somehow taking it wrong, but now I know I'm not.

I do know some great people in our church. The 2 ministers are absolutely wonderful.

But as in ANYTHING, there are always a few that tarnish the rest.

I'm going to still keep my faith in the good in people and hope for the best. I think that's better than getting cynical.

I've been exposed to many different denominations in my life and also other religons. I once went to temple with a friend of my mom's because I was curious as to what it was like. I asked her and she was very happy to take me and explain everything that was going on. I've met good and bad people everywhere. I guess its just that you expect more out of church members and well, they are people too and have the same idiosynchricies that everyone has.

Stargazer, I am SO sorry you had to go through that about your dad. That sounds so similar to my HS friend and I'm sorry, that just isn't right. The purpose of church, ministers, funerals, etc. is to comfort the living after a death, not make things worse.

I have a lot of odd views about religion that don't even mesh completely with my church. I was raised Presbyterian, went to Catholic School and studied world religions in college. I don't happen to think that there is one right church or even religion. I don't happen to believe that Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and other non-Christian religons are going to burn in hell because they don't believe in Christ. So I have a really mixed and varied view on all religon and my own beliefs are a strange mix of a lot of different things that probably don't mesh with any one chuchs policies.

Mostly I keep my views to myself as well, you all know how passionate discussions on religon can be.

I thank all that have input on this subject. It's been very interesting.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2550460;
    The minister even had a sermon in the following weeks, citing examples like my dad, that even if someone is a good person, they have to be "saved" or risk hellfire.
    I have a couple religious friends who go out of their way to make me feel that way. It doesn't work. I know what my sins are and hold myself accountable for them and know that I am a rusty work in progress. And just because they were baptized/christened doesn't necessarily make them good people (they actually are good people, which I admit, but it's mindnumbing to me that they consider me deficient in many ways because I am not like them)--and I think whoever the almighty power is knows this and isn't so petty as to exclude people from salvation or whatever. If I end up in the place with pitchforks, it won't be because I wasn't baptized. It'll be because I haven't always been a good person...

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2550560;
    Yeah, but wasn't that last month?
    No that's from the bar-room brawl that you and I got into. I've been an agnostic most of my life, and hard-core agnostic for at least 30 years.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I Is Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2550756;
    I have a couple religious friends who go out of their way to make me feel that way. It doesn't work. I know what my sins are and hold myself accountable for them and know that I am a rusty work in progress. And just because they were baptized/christened doesn't necessarily make them good people (they actually are good people, which I admit, but it's mindnumbing to me that they consider me deficient in many ways because I am not like them)--and I think whoever the almighty power is knows this and isn't so petty as to exclude people from salvation or whatever. If I end up in the place with pitchforks, it won't be because I wasn't baptized. It'll be because I haven't always been a good person...
    I always thought that part of being a good Christian or whatever was keeping your religious opinions mostly to yourself. Not necessarily meaning that you can't show any emotion, but I find that the people who go off on me for being athiest are the ones who don't necessarily have the most friends.

However, having said that, my friend Craig is bugged by my religion (or lack thereof.) He's never said this to me, but when someone *cough*mymom*cough* brings it up, he gets all fidigty and trys to change the subject. I don't see this as making him a bad person, I mean, we all have to believe in something.

However, if he suddenly decided to start slamming my religion (or lack thereof), I might suddenly see him as less of a good person. I wouldn't lose all respect, because I know how amazing he is in every other aspect, but I would be very uncomfortable talking to him on Sundays or whatnot.

That's probably why I don't discuss religion with anybody unless I know them, because I don't want my opinion of them to be lessened by them jumping on me about eternal damnation and fun stuff like that. I figure that if this stuff exists, I'm giong where I'm going, and no change in faith will change that.

Just me though.

that makes a lot of sense stephanie..I also get uncomfortable talking about different doctrines with my friends, It can ruin a lot of friendships, because its something that people are very passionate about, on both sides of the coin.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

if i recall this right, Steph you're Athiest like me, right?
    I remember 2 weeks ago on the AC board walk, a woman sat next to me eating her pretzels and even offered me one which i declined. Afterwords, she turned and asked me where i was from( I should've said from Venus or something....) and then asked me if i had been saved.
    I said, "Saved?" She said, "Yes, saved." Then i asked, from what?( and trust me, i knew exactly what she was referring to). She muttered something and i essentially 'saved' myself with a grin. oh, and adjacent to me were some anti-choicers displaying rather graphic pictures and handing out pamphlets.
    Religion is just something that doesn't fit with my persona and im more then content with that.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2550551;
    I remember my christening I still have a few shards of glass in my scalp from when they broke the champagne bottle over my forehead.
    The USS Newfherder. Tugboat? Destroyer? Cargo ship? Just guessing here.

Presbyterians don't believe in being born again or being saved. And we have infant baptism. I know a whole lot of other churches that think we are all on our way in that handbasket! What I love about being one is all those reasons and more. We don't go around asking that question which I believe to be highly personal. It's not up to someone else to try to "save" me.
    We do believe in something called "santification". So the little meanie in me loves to say: "No, I'm not saved, I'm SANCTIFIED!" Stuns them every time. Probably undoing all the other good stuff I've done everytime I do this, but it gives me a small thrill.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-30-2007 at 08:11 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread