+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5834Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

lei
    FORT Fogey

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

doxie - Thank you for your good wishes, and for your advice. I was just talking to Mr. lei about the tubs today! We're feeling as well prepared as we can. It still looks like it won't be a problem but nothing's for certain -- Iniki did an unexpected curve last time Hawaii was hit.

MRD - Thank you, as always, for your support too.

Y'all are great.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2525325;
    Lei:I hope that Flossie misses you! My best hurricane advice is to fill up your bathtub(s) with water. That way you'll have water for the kitties, be able to flush and wash your face if the water supply goes out. I know this sounds silly but my Mom always did this in advance of a hurricane when I was a child and I do the same thing whenever we are threatened. My "better half" is from California and he constantly makes fun of me for this but he's gotten used to my hiding in the closet with my flashlight, pillow and drink during tornado warnings. Take care!
    Not silly advice at all. We have had to fill the tubs before. But once my parents got a pool, they never did fill the tubs saying the pool water would work for flushing the toilet.

But I've always filled up the tub. We lived on a well and if the electricity goes out, then so does the pump that pumps the water. Filling the tubs is a very sound idea.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2525380;
    Not silly advice at all. We have had to fill the tubs before. But once my parents got a pool, they never did fill the tubs saying the pool water would work for flushing the toilet.

But I've always filled up the tub. We lived on a well and if the electricity goes out, then so does the pump that pumps the water. Filling the tubs is a very sound idea.
    We don't often get hit here with hurricanes but we do experience severe winter storms which can leave us without power for up to a week. In addition to filling the tub, we also fill the washer. Hope all is well lei.

lei: I heard that you just had an earthquake! How are you all? It must have been very scary!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I just read about the earthquake also. It was on the big island, and there were no injuries reported, but there was a small landslide. Flossie was downgraded to a Category 2, but if it turns just a little bit, things could get much worse. I hope things are OK with lei! Hawaii is really getting hit hard.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Thanks to all of you!

First, the 5.4 earthquake was on the Big Island, which is the only island south of us (on Maui.) The Big Island is the one with the active volcanoes so things are shifting a lot. Sometimes we feel the quakes here but not this one (I did live on the Big Island during some 5.5s though and it was exciting to say the least!)

Last night's quake caused a major rockslide but it seems everyone's okay, if a bit extra tense, with Flossie coming.

She's down to a Cat 2, 110mph winds with higher gusts, expected to pass 80 miles south of the Big Isle late today. Assuming she stays on course, the worst thing will probably be the flooding. But we're all watching and waiting, as a nasty turn is not out of the question.

Mr. lei, the kitty clan, and I, will probably be out of danger. But after a last minute shopping for a few extra things, we are as well prepared as possible, for this or any other hurricanes.

Now we're just praying for our friends on the Big Island!

Thanks to everyone for your good thoughts and advice. I moved here 13 years ago, immediately after Iniki, which was devastating, and have never been near a hurricane so it's kinda new to me. Mr. lei is from Oklahoma so he has a tornado mindset, which has helped with our preparation.

Have a good day, everyone. Aloha for now.

Ah. I'm scared.

As some may know I drive a school bus for a living. Tomorrow school starts. In addition to my normal route, we are busing 800 freshmen girls for KU to various points around campus. So I will be out in the heat tomorrow from 7am to 5pm. It is supposed to be 102 with high humidity. I'm just not used to the heat. Last Saturday I drove for just 3 hours and felt awful. Shaky, sick to my stomach...I made sure to drink lots of water but it just beats you down. KWIM? So yeah. I'm scared.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Lei, I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

living4reality, good luck tomorrow. That sure is a long time to be out in the heat.

EDIT: myrosiedog, I missed your earlier post. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I admire how you always have a positive attitude.

MRD

Livin4reality:

Take some water bottles, pour out just a little and freeze them. That way, they stay cold, the water stays cold and you can drink it as the ice melts and you can use them on the back of your neck and on the inside of your wrists for a quick cool down. Can you have a small cooler on the b us? If so, put a wet washcloth in a plastic bag in the cooler. Great for a cool face wipe.

One of the things I've learned since being told about the MS, is that MS sufferers cannot tolerate heat, so I've found several ways to combat it.
    There is also a vest that is available (I don't know where, just heard of it) that is a cool down vest that is worn to keep the body cooler.

Good luck tomorrow. Will be thinking about you. Stay hydrated.

Pineapple. Thanks. It's either laugh or cry. I'd rather laugh although I do have some days where crying is the only thing that makes you feel better. But haven't had too many of those days.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

livin4reality - myrosiedog gave you some excellent advice. I would do all of those things. Take PLENTY of water. Drink even if you don't feel thirsty. By the time you feel thirsty, you're already starting to dehydrate.

+ Reply to Thread