+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5834Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I don't know about fireants, as that's not what I have. But, I know from my own experience, grits do, in fact, destroy ant colonies.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Further to the ant dilemma, I read something in the "helpful hints" column of the paper this morning that recommended putting down ground black pepper to get rid of ants. I have no idea whether it actually works, but it might be worth a try.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus, that is not going to work if you have cats. Black pepper is also a way of getting rid of unwanted cats.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2493313;
    Rattus, that is not going to work if you have cats. Black pepper is also a way of getting rid of unwanted cats.
    Hrm, perhaps I should try having more black pepper on my own meals of fish - might at least temporarily get rid of my cat while I'm trying to eat, .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2493313;
    Hmmm, maybe with the judicious use of pepper, I can finally put up the bird feeder that I'm storing in the basement until Finley gets too old to go primal . (That would be him spotting a yellow-bellied sapsucker in my avatar.)
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've had huge success with white vinegar. I love the animal friendly solutions.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We had an ant parade in our kitchen several years ago and a friend told me that ants dislike citrus smells. So, I busted out some lemon scented dish washing liquid, mixed it with a little water and hosed those ants down. It worked! It killed the visible ants and I didn't see another ant for a long time. I hope y'all get rid of those pests soon!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Thank you all for your suggestions. We tracked them down to a teeny hole next to the a/c heater vent in the family room. Gnomie had told me about a gel early Friday, so we put that by the hole, and damn, they clamored for it. By this morning they were gone. We've had a few scouts upstairs now in the shower but we can't figure out where they're coming from, so I put some of the gel on the top of the shower. I'm hoping we'll get another miracle tomorrow, and when we check, they'll be gone. We're leaving on a vacation next Saturday, so we're concerned about them taking over the house while we're gone. About 10 years ago, we came home from a grueling backpacking trip tired, dirty, and hungry only to discover millions of ants had taken over the house (we had never had ants here before that). They were in nearly every room of the house, and in the kitchen had even found a way into the refrigerator and freezer where they met an untimely death. What a nightmare that was. Mr. Rose spent the day today spraying the perimeter of the house outside, and I cleaned every inch of the counters, shelves, and floors. We'll see what happens. *crosses fingers*
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I can see how your past (bizarre!) experience would leave you a little paranoid, but it sounds like you've taken good precautions. Do you also put those little ant cups around? That's all I've ever had to use.
    Count your blessings!

They do have these ant spikes now that you push into the ground around your foundation. I have used them for 2 years and hardly ever find a ant inside. They sell them at Walmart, Kmart and I have found them at the supermarket. Now spiders are another story.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

+ Reply to Thread