+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My office mate and I have been getting the takeout salads lately. We have a local pizza place that does fantastic garden salads and they have a wonderful raspberry vinagrette dressing!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2481610;
    My office mate and I have been getting the takeout salads lately. We have a local pizza place that does fantastic garden salads and they have a wonderful raspberry vinagrette dressing!

I love raspberry vinegrette.

Ok, the eating healthy and better thing being more expensive is one of my biggest peeves. That and being "green". We would love to only buy organically and also do tend to eat healthier and avoid a lot of processed foods for the most part. But trying to be healthy and enviromentally friendly are more expensive.
    I honestly think more people would do more of both things if cost wasn't such a factor.

And scoutmom, I'm with you. I would have a personal chef prepare healthy nutritious foods for us all if I could. That and a laundress because I hate the laundry. I don't mind cooking, but it would be so nice to have it done for you.

Rattus, I can see what you mean. Since being on the BID diet for the gastrointestional problems this week and only eating cherrios, rice milk, bananas, english muffins, etc. I have gained 2 pounds. I am supposed to stay on this for a week to 10 days. It's already helping a lot. I can see a big difference in my tummy pain levels, but last night my 2 had hamburgers and I would have gladly robbed them at gunpoint for one they smelled so good.
    I think I am going to die if I see another bowl of cherrios!

Well off to lunch. Soda crackers and sliced hard boiled eggs. Yum! And weak herbel tea.
    The only thing getting me through this is the hope of having Gutmutters mom's peach cobbler when this is all over. I have my eye set on the prize so it makes it easier to eat those darn cherrios. But normally I don't eat this many carbs. Instead of the BID diet it should be the HIGH carb diet.
    But hey, its working so I'm not complaining. If this didn't work I was going to be sent for a colonoscopy. After having one 2 years ago, I am not ready to repeat that LOVELY ordeal any sooner than I absolutely have too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I read a study somewhere (yeah, can you be more vague, Lois?!) that said that people who consume a lot of high fructose corn syrup are heavier than people who just eat sugar, because the body knows how to break down sugar. It has no idea what to do with high fructose corn syrup!
    I don't know if this is exactly what you're referring to, but the book The Omnivore's Dilemma talks at length about high fructose corn syrup, among other things. I'm not a big bread person, but every once in a while, I'll buy a loaf for sandwiches or toast or something and invariably, unless I'm at the health food market, I spend 5 minutes in the bread aisle trying to find one that isn't adulterated with a whole lot of crap and corn syrup but isn't 300 grains and weights four pounds. Just thinking about this puts me in the mind to head to the health food market for lunch.

Hey, Lois - let's make a deal. You do the cooking for me, and I'll do the laundry for you!

LOL sounds like a plan to me! I'd take it! I have to do laundry for myself, my boyfriend AND my dad. lol. feel sorry for me haha nah it aint that bad though

I can't believe what I get myself into sometimes. We had inquired about hosting an exchange student. Long story short - the one we decided on was already spoken for so I was calling him back to say we weren't going to do it. The director begged me to take one because he had to fill a certain quota and he needed one more family by the next day. I ended up saying we'd take a boy from Thailand for the school year. It is just my daughter (a junior) and I at home now that the other two are in college, so I'm used to having a house full of teens. I love being exposed to other cultures and am a very nurturing, easy-going person. But now I have to find time to clean out his room and set it up. I'm working full-time and am exhausted on my days off. I am not a great housekeeper in the best of times but things are sliding fast this summer. I'm thinking of hiring someone to do cleaning for me, but I would still have to do picking up first.
    Count your blessings!

Yes darlin' you should hire someone to clean, and believe me if I were closer I would come & pick up for you.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

GM, I second the idea of hiring someone to clean the room. Then you'll have the energy to enjoy the exchange student.

BTW, my parents loved having teens in the house, and when we weren't hosting exchange students, we were having other exchange students (who were staying with other families in either our own or neighboring school districts) over for dinner or going bowling or whatever. Our Thanksgiving dinners were always filled with guests experiencing their first Thanksgiving. I can't think of anything more fun or more rewarding. (My mom always wanted a house full of kids, but only had 3 biological ones, so I have a whole slew of "adopted" brothers and sisters!)

So now fast-forward to present -- I have a job in which I work with employees of a large Paris-based international IT company. I teach ESL in a school-without-walls setting in which I'm part tour guide, part teacher, part conversation facilitator. Thanksgiving, which is not a holiday in France, is a work day for me. This is so perfect, because hubby and I invite my students to share Thanksgiving with us (in our postage-stamp apartment!), thus carrying out my family's tradition of having foreign students over for Thanksgiving! (It's been a new experience for hubby, though, as his family NEVER invited people over for anything -- and he's discovered how much fun it is to share the holidays.)

P.S. I have no idea if this is making sense. I had two glasses of wine for dinner and am feeling pretty "happy." (Gastric bypass has made me a "cheap date.")
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2480558;
    [B]Unk: Looking forward to the "newyou" photos!
    Once I hit goal in a few more pounds then I'll post one.

FORT Fan

Stupidest/Dumbest/craziest things you have done??

I think there was a thread about this awhile, but I can't seem to find it. If it is just add my post to that thread. If not hopefully, this thread can stay open.

When I was 18, I took a taxi home from college, it would not of bad so bad but let's saying taking a plane would of been cheaper(I'm 27 now)

I took a sign from the road once(the kind that college kids have in dorm rooms) It would not of been so bad, but I got lazy and never took it out of my car to hang up. About a month later, I got stopped by a police officer for speeding and he saw the sign and I got charged with "theft" It was really embarrassing going to the court house and read which courtroom I needed to go into and by everyone elses name there was some sort of traffic violation, like speeding or not paying tickets. And then by my name, in big CAPS, it says "THEFT" I know some people don't think taking road signage is a serious offense, but I have learned it really is. When I see a road sign that is down now and pass it I still cringe. They actually dropped the charges against me, and got 16 hours community service, so after I did my community service I rang the bell of my probation officer, to show her that I did my probabtion work, well she wasnn't asnwering, so the bailiff said not to worry and he would give her my paper work. Well, I guess she never got it and she sent me paper work in the mail that I needed to be in contact with her within like 48 hours or I would in serious trouble. Well, I really have never been in trouble with the law and I got majorly pissed and I left a voice mail with her and called her an "idiot" Not a smart thing to call a probation officer. Then I called my mom and told her what I did and she called me an idiot. then now. (multiple dummy awards on this one)

Anyway, the probation officer actually wasn't mad at all and I only apologized a million times and actually bought her something. I am sure she has been called a lot worse. Still not a smart thing to call your probation officer any names.

My old therapist once refered me to a new therapist and I thought she was a total beyotch over the phone. She was miss know it all. She didn't even know me and she was making all these assumptions about me. I am still pissed when I think about her. I got so pissed I called back and left multiple nasty voice mails on her voice mail. It wasn't so bad that I left the voice mails, but I called her some really unkind words. I mean REALLY UNKIND words. My old therapist at the time thought she might press charges against me. She never did, but I called her an apologized jsut to be safe. No presents for her though. But when you really think of it I don't know why my old therapist thought she would press charges. I mean after all, it just showed I was mental and needed help. Anyway, I fired my old therapist anyway, and I have a new one who I really like now.

I have talked to some people about some of the stuff and my behavior.They have told me to wait 24 hours before you do anything, because you have more time to think it out and act rational. I think its good advice.

Anyway, my taxi ride home from college was $250. But that was almost 10 years ago when gas was A LOT cheaper.

Let's just say I have issues
    Last edited by snarkattack; 07-21-2007 at 05:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread