+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4474Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2479989;
    Good for you, Ellen! And your impressive mentality makes for one huge strategy testimony!!

And congrats to you, too, mrd! You ladies took on a huge challenge and succeeded, but I know it takes an everyday committment. So many people don't make that mental leap.
    Thanks PS. As Ellen has said, it does take a lot of commitment and a huge lifestyle change. I think that anyone that is going to be successful has to make a commitment and a lifestyle change. Quitting smoking, drinking or losing weight. And often our friends and family can sabotage us without meaning too.

But I know I don't want to go back to where I was so that is a huge postive reinforcement and of course buying new clothes in smaller sizes helps too.

And I think that while it is an everyday commitment, you can enjoy yourself occasionally as long as you don't go back to the thought process of I deserve this, I need this. This will help me feel better, etc.

LIke I said earlier. I'm not 100% good. I do enjoy a sweet treat occasionally. But the difference in me now and the way I was is that now I can only eat one and not the whole bag and I can go several days without chocolate.
    I LOVE gabbing on the recipe thread here and I've had some GOOD stuff I got off of there. But I don't eat like that every day and I don't make sweet desserts everyday anymore either. Like Ellen said: moderation is the key.
    I think that if you deny yourself then it backfires. I know that if I were to say: I am NEVER going to eat chocolate again, then it would just plain backfire on me and I'd stuff my face. But if I know that today I can eat a small piece of cake and then not have anymore for another few days or a week is ok. And I have also learned a nice trick. I may cut a small slice, but I never eat the whole thing and if I'm somewhere where I might be sitting at the table staring at it for a long time. I pour salt over what I didn't eat so I won't be tempted to eat the rest of it.

Ellen, its great to meet you and hear your story. You are a great inspiration to have kept it off so long. I hope in another 4 years I'm saying that too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2480019;
    Like Ellen said: moderation is the key.
    I think that if you deny yourself then it backfires. I know that if I were to say: I am NEVER going to eat chocolate again, then it would just plain backfire on me and I'd stuff my face. But if I know that today I can eat a small piece of cake and then not have anymore for another few days or a week is ok.
    Truly, self-denial (unless you have one of those self-denying type minds anyway) is a sure way to fail. I am currently on a slow but steady weight-loss track utilizing lifestyle change as opposed to diet. And when I say slow, I mean slow - about a pound or two a week. I'm doing this by eating very little carb during the week outside of my morning oatmeal, but on weekends I can feel free to indulge somewhat. And the thing is, because I've gotten into the routine of eating primarily fruit, vegetables and some form of protein, I don't generally want a whole lot of carbs on the weekend. Though I did have pancakes last weekend and gained three pounds. How can something that weighs six ounces cause you to gain three pound? Not fair.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

While I also had a Gastric Bypass, I do not want to comment much on that here (I've posted about it elsewhere on the forums).

What I do want to do is encourage anyone who is battling life-long weight issues and wants to go about managing them to see a dietician/nutritionist.

Many post-op GBS patients do a very heavy protein diet. I was doing that too, until my dietician mentioned that if I kept it up, I was risking heavy duty kidney damage in the future. She also mentioned that my entire clinic staff would shoot me, like a firing squad, . Inspirational!

A sensible diet still consists of a mix of good carbs (whole grains, fruits, veggies), protein (low fat cheese, poultry, fish) and good fats (olive oil, nuts, some legumes).

I also recommend a program called FitDay. You can record (easily) every thing you eat, the exercise you do, and so on. For me, keeping a diary is a help (as is true meal planning). There's a free online verion of FitDay, or a downloadable version that does cost a minor amount of money (I think it's $25). FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2480093;
    While I also had a Gastric Bypass, I do not want to comment much on that here (I've posted about it elsewhere on the forums).

What I do want to do is encourage anyone who is battling life-long weight issues and wants to go about managing them to see a dietician/nutritionist.

Many post-op GBS patients do a very heavy protein diet. I was doing that too, until my dietician mentioned that if I kept it up, I was risking heavy duty kidney damage in the future. She also mentioned that my entire clinic staff would shoot me, like a firing squad, . Inspirational!

A sensible diet still consists of a mix of good carbs (whole grains, fruits, veggies), protein (low fat cheese, poultry, fish) and good fats (olive oil, nuts, some legumes).

I also recommend a program called FitDay. You can record (easily) every thing you eat, the exercise you do, and so on. For me, keeping a diary is a help (as is true meal planning). There's a free online verion of FitDay, or a downloadable version that does cost a minor amount of money (I think it's $25). FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal
    That is very good advice. I have also seen a dietician/nutritionist as part of my whole weight loss plan. While I do eat a higher protien diet. I do also get good carbs.(getting a LOT of carbs this week on the all cherrio diet. Hey, its actually helped a LOT, so while I'm sick of rice, toast, cherrios and bananas and hard boiled eggs, I feel a LOT better, but I don't think I can face another bowl of cheerios anytime soon.) I actually use my South Beach Diet books a lot because they have good higher protien, low fat, low carb, but good carb recipes in them.

I honestly think that any weight loss program whether its surgery or a lifestyle eating change should involve a dietician/nutrionist and a therapist. I know that a lot of my eating was related to "issues" and once I worked out what my triggers were and could recognize the signs, it really helped me avoid eating out of stress, boredom, etc.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Ellen, myrosiedog, MissThing, rattus: Congrats on the weight loss and good luck with all of your everyday challenges!

Unk: Looking forward to the "newyou" photos!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

An update on my new neighbors (to the north).

The new owner is a lady who has her own company. She owns a manufacturing plant in Toronto(of what?) but lives here and has her head office here in the City. She bought the property sight unseen with no conditions. Apparently her visit was her first one. She didn't seem impressed that there would be work to do as in plastering a few cracks, painting, removing carpet and finishing the hardwood. She got a great deal on the house for that reason. If it had been brought up to date, the price would have been $75,000 more. She wasn't very friendly or pleasant when I said Hi and welcome to the neighborhood.

I guess she's purchased it as an investment in the future and will hold on to it for about a year. So I guess I'm expecting some workers, a dumpster, and maybe renters.

It was a bit disappointing that it is a fix and flip. I would have preferred a real family to move in.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thanks to everyone for your kind words.
    Another huge help to me is a wonderful, supportive husband who loves to cook. He saw a nutritionist when "middle-age spread" started taking over -- up until age 45 or so, he'd been skinny all his life -- and really embraced healthy eating. One of the things we like to do is take traditional recipes and make them healthy (or healthier). He and I are both avid label-readers; we don't buy anything that has stuff like hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats (even when the nutrition panel says 0 trans fats -- the legalities on that are deceptive), high fructose corn syrup, fractionated palm kernel oil, or artificial sweeteners because of the negative effects they can have on metabolism, good cholesterol levels, etc. And it's amazing how many of these sorts of ingredients are in products that call themselves "healthy"!

It takes us longer to shop and cook, but we're healthier for it!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I hate to cook - especially when things take longer than about 10 minutes! If I were rich, I'd have my own personal chef. I don't mind eating healthy - I just hate cooking healthy. Well, let's be honest, I just hate to cook - healthy or not!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2480093;
    I just wanted to follow up on my earlier post indicating that apart from my morning oatmeal my carb intake during the week was kept pretty minimal, that my oatmeal contains one scoop of ground flax and one scoop of multigrain cereal. I also have approximately an ounce of nuts (walnuts, almonds and filberts) for a mid-morning snack. I've found, though, that pasta, even spelt, whole wheat or multigrain pasta, causes me to gain weight, as does most bread. Usually I'll have a sandwich on a multigrain pita one night during the week, but otherwise I'm trying to keep to a dinner of a protein, some vegetables and some fruit.

And Ellen, you are absolutely right about prepared foods - very few of them are any good at all. One of the things that a lot of people aren't aware of is the actual sugar content of a lot of fruit juices. A lot of them will say "no sugar added", and technically they would be correct. But any juice that says "naturally sweetened" by apple, pear, or grape juice is actually sweetened by fructose. They take those juices and boil them down until nothing remains but the fructose, and then add that to what really is sweet enough without assistance - legally, "no added sugar". And the same goes for pretty much any juice that comes from concentrate. The best choice for fruit juice is just that - pure fruit juice, not from concentrate.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2481499;
    He and I are both avid label-readers; we don't buy anything that has stuff like hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats (even when the nutrition panel says 0 trans fats -- the legalities on that are deceptive), high fructose corn syrup, fractionated palm kernel oil, or artificial sweeteners because of the negative effects they can have on metabolism, good cholesterol levels, etc. And it's amazing how many of these sorts of ingredients are in products that call themselves "healthy"!

It takes us longer to shop and cook, but we're healthier for it!
    You both are so smart about it! When I read the labels for a lot of no fat or low fat items, I notice that the percentage of sodium in it is through the roof! High fructose corn syrup is so bad for you. I read a study somewhere (yeah, can you be more vague, Lois?!) that said that people who consume a lot of high fructose corn syrup are heavier than people who just eat sugar, because the body knows how to break down sugar. It has no idea what to do with high fructose corn syrup!

It's a shame that it costs more to eat healthy than to pick up the preprocessed crap. My mom was a working mom but she really was/is a supermom. She worked full-time but still got up to make us breakfast, pack our lunch and make us a home cooked dinner when she got home from work. My dad would sometimes cook but none of us would eat it! It's just me and Mr. Lane and I'm so exhausted after work I can barely cook sometimes...I don't know how she did it. But I do think that all those fresh home cooked meals that our moms cooked helped many of us grow up healthier than today's generation. I'm a big take-out gal and while the food is good, I KNOW that the food isn't as healthy as if I made it myself at home.

+ Reply to Thread