+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6444Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2478233;
    Here's another question on the stand-alone types. I do like mine very much, but have discovered that the edges of the cups along the topstitching are beginning to curl out ever so slightly. No problem under a blouse or sweater, but under a t-shirt you can definitely see a ridge. Should I try another brand or is it just the way they are?
    I have never had that happen, I get my bras either from maiden form, or Secret brand from walmart. I do always try to reshape them after I wash them.

My problem is only on a couple, not all, that once the foam gets out of shape it will not go back quite right. One sticks out in the exact wrong place, looking like the very thing I'm trying to prevent! I have tried and tried to reshape it, but it just doesn't seem to work. Anyone else have this problem, and been able to fix it?

Hope y'all remember the Seinfeld Episode with the Manssierre or "the Bro" - for some reason this thread is reminding me of that one.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2479035;
    Hope y'all remember the Seinfeld Episode with the Manssierre or "the Bro" - for some reason this thread is reminding me of that one.
    I remember that episode for the simple reason that I have never really had much use for a bra. (imply what you will!) So for a man to require the "Bro" was just a slap in the face! How dare a MAN need a bra when I, as a real live woman, have yet to develop (pun intended) a need for one!
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2478815;
    OK, Ellen, secrets, please! Not just for the getting it off, the keeping it off! I know even people who've gone the surgery route have still had trouble with that. If you don't mind sharing of course!
    I did go the gastric bypass route (March '01), so the "taking it off" part wasn't terribly difficult. Keeping it off is the challenge -- and I think I've had luck with that because I actually listened to my surgeon and the nurses, nutritionists, etc. in his office when they told us that the surgery is only a tool (albeit a powerful one) and not a magic bullet cure-all.

So what do I do? I don't drink carbonated beverages -- even diet ones! -- so as not to stretch out my pouch (that's what we call the smaller stomach). And I have to do all the usual, very unglamorous, very un-magic stuff like keep the calorie intake to around 1500 per day (I've gotten really good at guesstimating; I pretty much follow the same guidelines as a diabetes diet -- even though I'm no longer diabetic, I just feel better with that sort of balance), and getting enough moderate exercise. I do have occasional treats (wine, desserts, etc.) -- but everything in moderation. And I weigh myself every day to make sure I stay on track. (So a two-pound gain doesn't turn into 10 or 15 or 20 or . . .)

I'm lucky to have a job that has exercise built in -- it's sort of combination personal tour guide and English conversation teacher, so I'm walking at least three hours every morning.

So the big drop in weight helped me to get in balance nutritionally and to get active and stay active; the surgery helped some, too, with metabolic issues.

But the "keeping it off" part is work -- and expecting that it will be work beforehand helps, too. (I think a lot of post-ops who've gained much of their weight back kind of believed that surgery would be a magic cure and slipped back into bad habits. It's soooooooo unbelievably easy to nibble hundreds of calories here and there without realizing it!)
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-17-2007 at 11:34 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Congrats on your success with keeping the weight off Ellen. I've recently lost quite a bit of weight doing Weight Watchers so I can appreciate what you have gone through.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2479386;
    Congrats on your success with keeping the weight off Ellen. I've recently lost quite a bit of weight doing Weight Watchers so I can appreciate what you have gone through.
    Congrats to you, too, Unklescott! WW is great in providing choices with good balance AND a wonderful support system. Kudos to you, and best wishes for maintenance success!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2478460;
    I'd respond more often, but I have my hands full with my research for the ultimate bra.

Cool about having a brain The last time I had a brain scan, the results were negative
    ANd how is the research coming along. I knew you were too quiet for some reason.

Yeah, I'm glad to finally have proof of one. But the proof doesn't say if it is plugged in or turned on or anything, so it could just be sitting there in the dark waiting for the electrician to show up!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2479375;
    I did go the gastric bypass route (March '01), so the "taking it off" part wasn't terribly difficult. Keeping it off is the challenge -- and I think I've had luck with that because I actually listened to my surgeon and the nurses, nutritionists, etc. in his office when they told us that the surgery is only a tool (albeit a powerful one) and not a magic bullet cure-all.

So what do I do? I don't drink carbonated beverages -- even diet ones! -- so as not to stretch out my pouch (that's what we call the smaller stomach). And I have to do all the usual, very unglamorous, very un-magic stuff like keep the calorie intake to around 1500 per day (I've gotten really good at guesstimating; I pretty much follow the same guidelines as a diabetes diet -- even though I'm no longer diabetic, I just feel better with that sort of balance), and getting enough moderate exercise. I do have occasional treats (wine, desserts, etc.) -- but everything in moderation. And I weigh myself every day to make sure I stay on track. (So a two-pound gain doesn't turn into 10 or 15 or 20 or . . .)

I'm lucky to have a job that has exercise built in -- it's sort of combination personal tour guide and English conversation teacher, so I'm walking at least three hours every morning.

So the big drop in weight helped me to get in balance nutritionally and to get active and stay active; the surgery helped some, too, with metabolic issues.

But the "keeping it off" part is work -- and expecting that it will be work beforehand helps, too. (I think a lot of post-ops who've gained much of their weight back kind of believed that surgery would be a magic cure and slipped back into bad habits. It's soooooooo unbelievably easy to nibble hundreds of calories here and there without realizing it!)
    Ellen, I too had the surgery and you are so right on track. I know too that 18 months of therapy helped me identify why I ate and helped me to see the triggers and signals for "head" hunger and real hunger. I know the psychological issues were a huge tool in helping me as much as the surgery was. I don't deny myself treats, but like you, I do so in moderation. Instead of eating the entire package of oreos, I can be content with just one. If I make a huge dessert, I have a little and the next day, I take the rest to the neighbors. It makes my family mad, but they don't need it either. I think the key is what you say: moderation. And its ok to have an occasional treat, but its not ok to keep having them.
    I have also found those 100 calorie snack packs to be wonderful. I know I can have one of those in my "afternoon slump" and I'm not adding a huge amount of calories in my daily intake.

Keep it up, you're doing great. I too know others that regained post op. And the weighing is so important. Several months ago I got put on a medication that had me CRAVING sugar and I was eating it too. I got on the scale and had gained 8 pounds in a week. I backed off right away and I got off the medication as well as it wasn't helping the problem it was prescribed for. I worked really hard to get those 8 pounds off that I had gained. It's easier to get off 5 or 8 pounds than to realize you gained 20 or 30 and need to get them off.

I recently bought a size 16 jean. I haven't worn that size in over 30 years. What a great feeling that was!

Anyway, good for you. I'm sure you feel like a new person with a new lease on life.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2479375;

Good for you, Ellen! And your impressive mentality makes for one huge strategy testimony!!

And congrats to you, too, mrd! You ladies took on a huge challenge and succeeded, but I know it takes an everyday committment. So many people don't make that mental leap.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I really have to congratulate you on keeping the weight off for over 5 years Ellen. That really requires a lot of changes and it seems like you were dedicated to changing your life style. So many people lose some weight, only to gain it back within a couple of years, at most. I myself, had lost some 25 pounds prior to getting married, then gained it all back (and more after my pregnancy). Like you said, keeping the weight off takes a lot of permanent hard work.

+ Reply to Thread