+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6749Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2476575;
    May I rage on my soapbox for a moment? I'm lifeguarding this summer and I'm seeing the same things I did 20 years ago - people pay no attention to their (young!!) kids in the water. What is more precious in your life than that? Also, they seem to think the lifeguards make the rules and enforce them at whim and if you argue rudely enough that will make the rules go away. At a state park the rules are set by the state and are given to every state park in a waterfront manual (at least in our state). Still, almost everywhere I've worked in 35 years have had the same basic rules - no snorkels and masks, no flotation devices other than coast guard approved life jackets, no hanging on the bouys, no dogs on the beach, no bare baby bottoms in the water, no throwing rocks, no glass or alcohol, and more recently, no smoking. And if there's thunder - you are going to be out of the water for at least 15 min. Get over it! Why give the lifeguard such a hard time for making the beach safe? *steps off soap box* Thanks. I feel better now.

On one of our local newstations, they have an "ask a question" segment and someone asked why kids were not allowed to wear "swimmies" in the city pools. Seems this mom went to a local pool and was told her child could not wear the swimmies in the pool. She wanted to know why.

So the station contacted different cities to get their take on it. Turns out (you all probably know the answer already) all the cities reported that it was generally a safety issue. Seems once the child has the swimmies on and gets into the pool, the PARENTS feel their child is SAFE and they do not have to be watching them as much!

What gets me is that the kids who are wearing swimmies are what...little children under the age of 5 or so, right? Why wouldn't the parent be in the pool with the young child to begin with? The thought of parents actually thinking that swimmies are going to protect a little one just boggles my mind!

MRD

I have been known to remove underwires from bras.

My problem is that my top half is 2 sizes bigger at the moment than my bottom half. So I require a size 40 bra. Well apparantly all bra manufacturers think that if you require a 40, then the cup size should be a D, nothing less.

Well I searched and searched and only found 3 bras with a C.

And the choices are just overwhelming. The funniest one though, was a pretty yellow lace one that crinkled when I tried it on. Well there was a "pouch" inside the cup and inside the pouch was a plastic bag filled with air.
    I did not buy this one as I knew that the pouch would explode somewhere where I would be most embarrassed by it and that the crinkling when I moved would also attract unwanted attention. I had never seen that before. I really was flabbergasted.

Seriously, I just need bras to be black, white and beige, underwire or not and that needs to be my only choices. I cannot have to decide between front close, uplifting, adjustable straps that can be worn 5 ways, lace, satin, embroidered, and the myriad of colors available. I just want a freaking bra!!!!
    I don't want to have to make multiple decisions. I'm getting anxious all over again just thinking back to Fri and trying to shop for one.

As for the college thing. I have to thank everyone for their input. I do appreciate everyone's comments and observations. I don't know a lot of people that are working in the field in which they majored in, so I know its not always what you decide to do being what you end up doing.
    Many of you addressed our problem with having a 16 year old going to college with 18+ age kids. And we are not ready to send her away to college yet. There is a community college here and there is nothing wrong with her taking her AA degree there and transferring elsewhere when she is ready.
    And I do agree that college is not just about the college classes, but learning to live on your own as well. But as you know our problem is we have an underage daughter that we want to keep home until she is 18.

I do think she is very smart and clever. At that age, I didn't know what I wanted to do and I think she has a good plan. And I too know many people that cut hair on the side and do quite well with it either out of their own house or going to people's houses. I have no doubt, she will do well with whatever she chooses. And I guess if she chooses not to go to college, then I will be disappointed, but its not like she can't decide to go later. Hubby didn't graduate until he was 30. Went back after we got married. I am 45 and am planning on going back this fall. But we both have told her its so much easier when you are younger than to wait and go back later.
    Anyway, I know I have a kid with a good head (I honestly do not know how that happened as at 16, I was NOT in the least bit ready to make a plan like this) so we shall see. But the input has been greatly appreciated.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2477155;
    I have been known to remove underwires from bras.
    Me too! I hate them. They are extremely uncomfortable to me.

I'm glad your daughter has a plan. And you're right about it never being too late. I graduated last May at 38 with a Bachelor of General Studies. I quickly learned that was a waste of time since the only thing I could really do with it was administrative work, which I was doing pre-college. And I don't want to go back to a desk job.

So fast forward a year later, I'll be 40 in September, and am now in the local tech school taking classes to become a Licensed Practical Nurse. If I had been smart about it I would have went for my BSN while at the four year school but no sense crying about it now. I think we are always changing and learning and if she decides to stay a hair dresser, great. If she chooses another career path later, that's great too. At her age she will already be ahead of the career rat race. I was married and with a child by 18 so I really admire her drive and well thought out plan. You did good with her and that is the best accomplishment of all!

What a coinsidence! I was bra shopping yesterday too. Like Gutmutter, I stick to the same brand, same style in all colours. Once you find a bra that fits properly and is comfortable it's hard to move on to something else, for me anyway. I've had too many bad experiences with trying on different bras. One, they look good in the store but they shift after you wear them for a few hours, two the bra doesn't last long enough.
    Three.. and this is the biggie.. I think men must design bras because there is no way that a woman would want the girls to assume that kind of shape.. you know the one I'm talking about... triangular. Or torpido *its as my husband calls them.
    Why can't they make a good quality bra with fantastic support, naturally rounded cups, no underwire, no seams, lasts for a good long while and doesn't cost an arm and a leg! sheesh. They can build engineering marvels like suspension bridges but they can't build a perfect bra.

I now know the cause to which I will dedicate the rest of my life
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Don't forget our swimsuits, either, Newfherder.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There is a store, I think it's in Atlanta, that is known for giving you the best, and proper bra fit. I'd love to make a trip down there, just to deal with their fitter. Does anyone happen to know the name of the store? I think most of our complaints come from just picking our gaments from the rack, ourselves, and not getting a professional fitting. My guess is that even underwires would work for us if we got the right fit.

I just found it online, and it's called Intimacy. Be prepared to PAY. One woman said she paid $90 for a bra, but that the service is excellent. They keep a card on file, with your exact info so that you can come back later and still have your measurements, purchase, etc. I'd think that would be worth the price to have something that really works. They do lifetime adjustments to bands, whatever you need. Interesting.

Intimacy - Atlanta, GA - Judy's Book
    Last edited by prhoshay; 07-16-2007 at 06:22 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I always remove the underwire... when I'm stupid enough to get a bra that has them. Good luck with your new quest Newf. Let us know if you need guinea pigs. I'm sick of mine. The cage needs constant cleaning. As for the parents of young children going in the water with them. Ha! You may be shocked, but I'd estimate the percentage of parents who go in the lake (I suppose a pool would be different) with their toddlers is around 10%. In the last week I've had 2 kids under the age of 5 in the water whose parents couldn't even be found!
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2477208;
    What a coinsidence! I was bra shopping yesterday too. Like Gutmutter, I stick to the same brand, same style in all colours. Once you find a bra that fits properly and is comfortable it's hard to move on to something else, for me anyway. I've had too many bad experiences with trying on different bras. One, they look good in the store but they shift after you wear them for a few hours, two the bra doesn't last long enough.
    Three.. and this is the biggie.. I think men must design bras because there is no way that a woman would want the girls to assume that kind of shape.. you know the one I'm talking about... triangular. Or torpido *its as my husband calls them.
    Why can't they make a good quality bra with fantastic support, naturally rounded cups, no underwire, no seams, lasts for a good long while and doesn't cost an arm and a leg! sheesh. They can build engineering marvels like suspension bridges but they can't build a perfect bra.

Oh, its traumatic isn't it? I felt like I needed to go have several drinks afterwards. My problem is that I didn't have a style I could stick with. Since losing all the weight, I really hadn't bought any new bras and I had gotten to the point that I really, really, really needed them as the ones I was wearing were ridiculously too big. Now that I've found a style and brand I like, they will quit making them.

I know what you mean about the design. I think something should be done to make this more comfortable. The biggest laugh I tickle myself with is the new bra design that looks like someone is already wearing it while on the hanger. I tease my husband that I could buy those for him and it would make him look like he had a chest. What's up with those? They look like you just put them on and PRESTO! automatic boobs whether you have them or not.
    And I want to know where you store those already perky bras? Do they fit in a drawer? Or do they get squished and then don't look good after being in a drawer? Do you have to hang them? do they need room so the cups can stick out on the hanger? I mean, I have lots of questions here. This fairly new design fascinates me for the oddest reasons.

Newf: so glad you finally have a cause for the rest of your life. But I'm not volunteering to be a tester.

BTW, I saw 2 Newfs on Fri. night. They have a free jazz concert every Fri. downtown and people are all out and walking about. Well we saw the 2 Newfs who were just gorgeous and then saw 2 Jack Russell puppies. Talk about a size difference! The puppies looked like a snack for the Newfs. Well not really, but you know what I mean. All very cute and handsome doggies. I wish Waldo didn't get car sick, so we could take him downtown. we take our Jacks and they love it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2478039;
    And I want to know where you store those already perky bras? Do they fit in a drawer? Or do they get squished and then don't look good after being in a drawer? Do you have to hang them? do they need room so the cups can stick out on the hanger? I mean, I have lots of questions here. This fairly new design fascinates me for the oddest reasons.
    I bought a few of those (if you ladies don't mind hunting-and-pecking for a bargain, TJMaxx has great prices on underwear) - they are comfortable, but sorta strange. If you are a little lopsided like me, well, let's just say, to avoid puckering, buy for the smaller cup.
    To store them I stack them in the drawer. Like cups. Packing them posed a puzzle. I ended up twisting them in the center and tucking one cup into the other.
    A friend of mine had herself professionally fitted. She said it was a little embarassing, but worth it. The bra she bought that day is her favorite.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread