+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6757Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Just popping in to say we are scrambling for tradespeople here. There's a boom and no matter what trade you are in, you are probably taking home more than a lot of folks in the offices these days!

From the oilpatch, to home renovations, carpenters, mechanics, electricians, oilfield workers, painters, ...they are smiling. Except they don't get much time off. Everyone's working immense numbers of hours...but pulling in some great salaries.

The only trade I know is I'll give you this for that!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2475233;
    The only trade I know is I'll give you this for that!
    You are too cute! I could be a baker...as long as I only sold cupcakes and chocolate cake!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

About 20 years ago, I had a sister-in-law who decided to become an electrician.....and women really weren't doing much of that back then. And she worked for/works for Ford. Can you imagine the money she is making?? Whew!!!! And she loves it! Minimal college, but she's always been a brainiac. Lack of a college degree does not have to hold you back.....obviously!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2475127;
    Originally Posted by katgib13 View Post
    lei: Mechanics don't make a bad living. He probably will never be filthy stinking rich, but I'll be happy that he can pay his bills and provide for his future wife and children. Actually, my hubby's step-dad has a transmission shop and he does quite well. They have an awesome house, a collection of antique cars and they go to about half of the Nascar races plus 2 or 3 vacations a year. His kids don't want to take over the business when he retires and he has mentioned that Freddy should come work for him and learn the ropes and maybe take over. Freddy hasn't said much about it, but I'm hoping that he at least considers it.
    I didn't say they did. My name got put in there inadvertently. Upthread I was early to chime in that college isn't for everyone. Just for the record.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

We've recently had to call both an electrician and a plumber...separate jobs...and went to our "old reliables"... they'd both retired, and neither knew someone younger they could recommend. Sigh. Back to the Yellow Pages. The downside of this kind of work though, as for a doctor or anyone else self employed, is that you don't have as many safety nets as you have with typical white collar jobs (or used to anyway!!), so you really need to manage your money well for retirement. The electrician for example, had had a heart attack and had to stop physical labor at what I'm sure was a younger age than he'd expected.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

So i went to the newly opened Good Will store and came away with a clothes-gasm.. I spotted this beautiful Trench dress

Among other niceties like a few 20Q(prefferably one for me and my sibling). I plan on getting this dress(hopefully it will be ignored by other women in light of being surrounded by Liz Claiborne blazers and Gilligan & O'Malley robes(im buying this one too.)
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

oh man, Amy Lee lol my mom drags me to the Good WIll atleast 3 times a week. Usually on Thursday, Friday, and Mondays. Thursday is when anthing with the tag of the weekend is half off. And they put all the new stuff out on Fridays. And on Mondays, the color tag of the weekend is automatically $1.29. You can get a couch and other furiture cheap that way! I even got a faux fur coat that goes to my hips for $1.29 a few weeks ago there. And I bought some stuffed animal patterns there for only 50 cents each.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

May I rage on my soapbox for a moment? I'm lifeguarding this summer and I'm seeing the same things I did 20 years ago - people pay no attention to their (young!!) kids in the water. What is more precious in your life than that? Also, they seem to think the lifeguards make the rules and enforce them at whim and if you argue rudely enough that will make the rules go away. At a state park the rules are set by the state and are given to every state park in a waterfront manual (at least in our state). Still, almost everywhere I've worked in 35 years have had the same basic rules - no snorkels and masks, no flotation devices other than coast guard approved life jackets, no hanging on the bouys, no dogs on the beach, no bare baby bottoms in the water, no throwing rocks, no glass or alcohol, and more recently, no smoking. And if there's thunder - you are going to be out of the water for at least 15 min. Get over it! Why give the lifeguard such a hard time for making the beach safe? *steps off soap box* Thanks. I feel better now.
    Count your blessings!

Gut - I've been complaining about people who want to do nothing but complain about rules for years. People are so determined to be concerned only about themselves and "their space", that they don't take a minute to think about what would happen if everyone wanted to do the same thing their doing. It only takes one person to get away with breaking a rule, and then everyone wants to just run amok.

The other big complaint I have is when I hear people tell their kids to behave or a policeman is going to come and get them. What idiot would say that to their kids? Policemen/women are people that kids are supposed to go to when they're in trouble. Why on earth would parents want to make their kids scared to death of them? I just don't get it.

MRD

Well I sucked it up and went bra shopping on Fri. And the traumatic experience put me in bed for 2 days!

What happened to white, black, and beige? Too many choices. Too many colors, Too many fabrics and styles. I almost had a panic attack. Seriously. I can't order off a menu if the menu is too big. Same here.

But after all that, I found 3 that I can live with. As I definely was needing them, I should have gotten more than that. But they only had those 3 out of THOUSANDS in my size.

I am just not going to be able to do this again. I mean, there was just too much to choose from. I may have to hire a personal shopper.

On a good note, I did buy a new pair of jeans (I have one pair and they've gotten to wear the butt was practically dragging the ground). I ended up getting 2 sizes smaller than I thought I would wear. I got a 16!!! I have not worn a 16 since I was a freshman in highschool over 30 years ago! WOO HOO!!

But my other medical issues have kept me in bed most of the weekend, so I've missed out on even reading the boards. Missed you guys. Hopefully am getting closer to some answers and treatment so I don't have to disappear for days at a time to take it easy. I'm really tired of that, believe me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread