+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4432Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2474167;
    I Totally Agree (usually)
    Thanks!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

College was the last super-fun time I had in life! And...NO....I was not a partier, really. I was a full-time student, on a full ride. I was always sad for people who had to work and go to school. I could imagine anything more miserable. And then I came out of school and went into a field that a high school graduate could get......AND LOVED IT!!!! Whatever.......

But I never regretted going to college and getting that degree!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2474328;
    But I never regretted going to college and getting that degree!
    I know. Same here. For me, it helped me gain a lot of confidence...

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2474124;
    I agree. My niece once gave my son a hard time and told him he was wasting his life by going to a community college. The thing is, if everyone went for the 4-year Bachelor's degree who would we get to do all those things that we take for granted, like fix our cars, our computers, enforce the law and keep the streets safe, not to mention who would do our hair?
    I used to be like your niece, Marley. I thought everyone should go to college. But you're right--then it would be difficult to get things done (like getting our hair done!). I think if a kid is trying to find an easy way out and thinks that skipping college is the easiest way to do it, I would try to discourage that. But if the kid obviously isn't a good match for college but has plans for what he or she would like to do with their future, then by all means encourage that.

But if they're not in college, they need to go to school to learn more about what they want to do (beauty school, acting lessons, etc.) so they're qualified. And if their chosen field doesn't require further education, they need to get a job. Not going to college doesn't mean they can sit around at home and waste their lives while mom and dad foot their bills still.

lei: How is the visit going? I hope all is well!

My son isn't the college type. He knows it, we know it. That's why he is attending a different high school. It's a JVS type of school and while he still has to take Math, Science, English...it's all geared around his course choice which is automotive technology. He loves cars, loves working on them and is quite good at it. It interests him and his grades have gone way up! Plus..I don't have to pay for oil changes or brake work anymore. He takes care of it. He's going to be a senior this year.

Also, this school offers night classes. It's where I went to get my Vet Tech certificate. I graduated in February. The only difference for adults is...we had to take an aptitude test. If we passed (which I did) we just jumped into the program. We didn't have to take any basic classes like Math, English..etc. It was 4 1/2 hours a night, 4 nights a week for one year. It was rough, but so worth it. I can't wait to start working this fall. I took one more summer off to spend with the little one and to get my spring cleaning done.

Mechanics don't make a bad living. He probably will never be filthy stinking rich, but I'll be happy that he can pay his bills and provide for his future wife and children. Actually, my hubby's step-dad has a transmission shop and he does quite well. They have an awesome house, a collection of antique cars and they go to about half of the Nascar races plus 2 or 3 vacations a year. His kids don't want to take over the business when he retires and he has mentioned that Freddy should come work for him and learn the ropes and maybe take over. Freddy hasn't said much about it, but I'm hoping that he at least considers it.

Kat, I come from a family of seven children and we all went to college. And there are doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, accountants, business owners, etc. in this mix. Me....I did work for a while in my chosen field, then had two children, then babysat for a few years, then had another baby, then went back to school for something else, worked a bit in that field, went into something else and found that my youngest at the time really needed me at home. So now I enjoy being a stay at home mom (even though my "baby" is now 16 and my older two are in their 20s and on thier own)! Will I ever go back into the work force? Maybe, maybe not. Right now, I am the one who looks after the aging parental units....which at times is a job in and of itself!

Anyway, when my sisters and I were in the dating scene (many moons ago!) my dad would always ask us if we were ever meeting any good mechanics! LOL Nowadays it is so hard to find a good, reliable mechanic.

I would definitely encourage your son to work for the step-grandparent.

Lei, I'm thinking about you and hoping your visit goes well...knowing how upbeat you are, how could it not?

I've enjoyed reading about all your college experiences. My father died days before my sister graduated from high school, so she had the four years paid, but me, being two years behind her, didn't. I was actually fine with that because she was a 4.0 girl, and I was more like 3.0, and to be quite honest I figured she deserved it more. But I ended up working two part-time jobs while going to college, and was so exhausted, I quit at a 2-year (AA) degree. It didn't seem to hold me back much, though, and I ended up as an executive secretary for several presidents of big software companies, then for a change of pace switched over to accounting/payroll.

I think if you have a good attitude, a good work ethic and enjoy people, all kinds of opportunities await you. Yes, a college degree would probably have served me well, but I feel I did fine in the long run. However, I am thrilled our daughter will be starting her 3rd year of college come August, but she's known what she's wanted to do since she was little, so more power to her.

I'm with Mamac about mechanics - that's one of those professions we will always be in need of, and paying good money for their help.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Aww kat and roses, you ladies are so sweet to check in on me.

It was a long day, but a good one. Mr. lei's family is so nice and it was really fun.

I'm exhausted, though! I'm not used to making dinner for eight while everyone's asking me questions and showing me baby pictures.

I'm not reading closely because everything's a blur; sorry if I missed anything important.

Goodnight and aloha for now

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2474833;
    lei: Mechanics don't make a bad living. He probably will never be filthy stinking rich, but I'll be happy that he can pay his bills and provide for his future wife and children. Actually, my hubby's step-dad has a transmission shop and he does quite well. They have an awesome house, a collection of antique cars and they go to about half of the Nascar races plus 2 or 3 vacations a year. His kids don't want to take over the business when he retires and he has mentioned that Freddy should come work for him and learn the ropes and maybe take over. Freddy hasn't said much about it, but I'm hoping that he at least considers it.
    If your son gets a lot of certified training, good mechanics can make well into the 6 figures now, way more than a lot of the rest of us, college or no. Also, the demand for them is extremely high as not enough people are taking the classes. If it's what your son wants to do, when he finishes his current school I'd encourage him to think about getting into a good tech school where he can learn all the newest procedures. He (and you) you might be shocked how well he can do for himself with the right training.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2475127;
    If your son gets a lot of certified training, good mechanics can make well into the 6 figures now, way more than a lot of the rest of us, college or no. Also, the demand for them is extremely high as not enough people are taking the classes. If it's what your son wants to do, when he finishes his current school I'd encourage him to think about getting into a good tech school where he can learn all the newest procedures. He (and you) you might be shocked how well he can do for himself with the right training.

I had a guy that worked for me when I started my present job (gray collar) who was I think 19 at the time (11 years ago) and he entered some apprenticeship program for mechanics at some car dealer an last I heard a couple years ago was that he was averaging 75,000. 00 a year.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

There is a real glut of 'blue collar' workers. Tradesmen (women included) people just don't like to work with their hands anymore and many people seem to look down on the trades.
    Have you ever had to call a plumber on a Sunday for an emergency. They make a very comfortable living!

I was flipping through the channels the other day and I came upon 'According to Jim' the sister was upset because her doctor hubby had to cancel supper plans again and the wife said "I told you to marry blue collar, you do more laundry, but they are always home for dinner"
    I also saw John Ratzenberger (of Cheers fame and every Pixar movie), he has made a documentary exlporing the lives of factory workers and thanking them (he said) His mother was a factory worker for many years. He said the average age of the factory worker today is 52 years old and there is very little new blood trickling into the factories.

It seems that many people are discouraged from working with their hands now, and it's a shame because many of these jobs require skill and aptitude.

+ Reply to Thread