+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 2459 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556961465461046 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 24585
Like Tree6260Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #451
    Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    On the edge
    Posts
    6,289
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    It was too cute.
    That must be the medication talking.

    I would not have found it funny at all. I would have been quite irritated. Especially if they were 'stealing' my raspberries.

    Hmmmm... perhaps I should borrow some of that medication.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

  2. #452
    Wait, what? ArchieComic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Farm
    Posts
    4,719
    My sister is a thief, drug addict, and not someone I would be friends with if she wasn't my sister. The things she does to get her drugs are things I cannot repeat and make me sick to think about. I try to stay out of her life as much as possible because I can't have that kind of toxicity in my life. I have a husband and son to think about. When my mother dies, my sister will have no family who wants to put up with her. Very sad but true.

    But I'm very happy for those who do have "normal" siblings and parents and overall a good relationship with them. If it wasn't for my husband's family I don't know what I'd do. Even though his family gets on my nerves from time to time, I know I can trust them and depend on them.

  3. #453
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    56
    Posts
    9,544
    I've come to a couple conclusions - A) there is no such thing as a "Normal" family, except to say abnormal is normal. and B) just because you're related by blood doesnt mean you need to associate with and put up with crap.

    BTW my family probably put the FUN in DysFUNctional
    - The Dean Martin Show -

    Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

  4. #454
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    19,031
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I have two sisters. I agree with you, nlmcp. They can be a pain, but most of the time we call each other all the time and gab about nothing.
    That is the relationship I have with my sister. We are close, almost best friends but there are times I want to strangle her. Like this weekend. We spent it together with my daughter and she was drunk most of the time and mean to my daughter. We get along better in small doses.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  5. #455
    RESIDENT JEDI MASTER Stargazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    On a Rocky Mountain High
    Age
    38
    Posts
    11,928
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    I've come to a couple conclusions - A) there is no such thing as a "Normal" family, except to say abnormal is normal. and B) just because you're related by blood doesnt mean you need to associate with and put up with crap.l
    I agree, gabriel. I get along great with most of my own family, but I've had friends who just had horrid people in their families. You can love someone and not like them very much. You can also love someone but not want them in your life at all. There are some people that just poison everything around them.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

    "I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

  6. #456
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,195
    Exactly, Star...all crappy people do not necessarily belong to other people's families.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  7. #457
    Winter get away catmom3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dreaming of Spring
    Age
    49
    Posts
    214
    I know what you are talking about. I tell my kids all the time that you can love someone because they are family but at the same time not like them as people.

    My oldest brother was like that for me. I think in some ways we were just too alike to ever really get along. He was loud, opinionated, stubborn and really rude. I am like that to sometimes but he was all the time. I once described him as bellicose and arrogant. He was not a good husband or father but he did try. I think the thing that really turned me off him was he used other people , family and friends and I don't believe in that. If you need help okay but don't take advantage.

    He died seven years ago this August and you know on some level I do miss him. What makes it worse is that his death really through my parents for a bad loop. Your not supposed to survive your children. They had already lost 2 to miscarriages years ago but to lost your adult son in his early sixties really hurts.

    You can't choose your family but you can choose your friends. I have a policy that if a family member is too toxic to be around I spend little or no one on one time with them and only family holidays with a group that includes them. I do this so that my parents aren't hurt by people not getting along.

  8. #458
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,195
    How many of us have "built" families from our circle of friends? I know that I have; it can be very satisfying, and it definitely serves a positive purpose. I will still spend time with the biologicals, but most of my time is spent with the family that I have put together, taking the place of the "dysfunctionals". My sister, who is older than I, used to tell me that I was adopted (like all of our siblings did, I'm sure), and I think she may have been right! I am nothing like those people.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  9. #459
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    With my sister, you just never knew which personality was going to show up. She can be unpredictably explosive and rude, so it's easier to keep my distance. My grandmother told me that my grandfather didn't like to go anywhere with her because of her unpredictable reactions. She will definitely cause you embarrassment in public if she's having one of her moments. Nobody seems to understand where this behavior comes from. Whack-o.

    Could your sister be bi-polar? Mine is just a hypocritical witch that hides behind God and tells the rest of us we are all going to hell, yet she says some of the worst things I've ever heard about people and has to keep telling you what a good Christian she is because otherwise you wouldn't be able to tell it at all.


    Go check out my post in the good news thread adn pet peeves. My finger is NOT broken! Stupid ER doc cannot read an xray.


    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    You say that like it's a BAD thing . Personally, I think crazy people have more fun in life in general.
    I agree but only the good kind of crazy people (of which I know I am one). I unfortunately have experience with one brother and a sister that are not the good kind of crazy.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    My sister is a thief, drug addict, and not someone I would be friends with if she wasn't my sister. The things she does to get her drugs are things I cannot repeat and make me sick to think about. I try to stay out of her life as much as possible because I can't have that kind of toxicity in my life. I have a husband and son to think about. When my mother dies, my sister will have no family who wants to put up with her. Very sad but true.

    But I'm very happy for those who do have "normal" siblings and parents and overall a good relationship with them.
    I so agree. I wish i had a normal sibling relationship and envy those that do. My oldest brother sounds like your sister and he only had me and this past week, he's cut it with me once again and for the final time. He was straight and sober for 2 years and I allowed him back into my life just a little, but he's back to his old tricks and I am the ONLY one that was still speaking to him, our parents are dead and now I'm not speaking to him. I don't need that in my life. I am sad for him, but I cannot help him and I don't need the drama and all the other BS that goes with it when he gets off his medication for his schizophrenia and goes back on crack.

    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    I've come to a couple conclusions - A) there is no such thing as a "Normal" family, except to say abnormal is normal. and B) just because you're related by blood doesnt mean you need to associate with and put up with crap.

    BTW my family probably put the FUN in DysFUNctional
    That comedian Titus I think his name is? (he had a show on tv for a few seasons) says that now 65% of American families are dysfunctional. "Now we ARE the normal ones!!!!" I thought that was true and so funny.

    And I agree, I don't put up with crap just because they are family. Took me a while to come to this conclusion but its true.

    Gabe, we may have the same family, when my parents were alive, I know we put the Fun in Dysfunctional.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-26-2006 at 11:10 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  10. #460
    Peeking In Duxxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    looking for a deal on evilBay
    Posts
    6,052
    I get a kick out of 'dysfunctional family'
    My family is so dysfunctional - it's functional.
    My parents have been divorced for about 26 years. I think I may have mentioned this before but ...

    My dad and his wife take their trailer and park in my mom and her husband's driveway to go to this certain summer festival. Last night my mom called me to invite me to my dad's house for a going away get together for my middle brother who is moving to Fort McMurray to work.
    Some people are just meant to be friends I guess.

    Christmas is especially fun. we rotate homes but everyone comes, all of the step brothers and sisters and spouses and what ever, even my brother's ex wife's son from her first marriage.
    To an outsider looking in I guess it looks strange but to us it's just family.

    We go to my husband's family's and everyone is with their original spouse and all of the siblings are full blooded I think they are the strange ones.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.