+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5930Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

lei
    FORT Fogey

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Thank you, Shay.

I know it's gonna be fine. I just get a little nervous sometimes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Just take a deep breath, and be yourself, and I'm sure you'll be fine!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2472974;
    Just take a deep breath, and be yourself, and I'm sure you'll be fine!
    This is a basic key to life that I forget all too often. Thank you again!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Just a PS on college since we seem to have wandered into a "value of college" discussion...it isn't only for career prep...hopefully it "forces" you to try out some things you never would have otherwise (e.g., philosophy, women's studies) that expand your mind/worldview, "forces" you to read books you never would have otherwise which do the same, etc. Things that may come back and strike you again and again as life goes on... even if you never earn a dime from them.
    It is absolutely true though, that returning students do seem to be, ON AVERAGE, enjoying the whole process a whole lot more than the 18 year olds (that's enjoying the academic side I mean...the 18 year olds are doing fine at enjoying the extracurricular parts! ).

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2473134;
    Just a PS on college since we seem to have wandered into a "value of college" discussion...it isn't only for career prep...hopefully it "forces" you to try out some things you never would have otherwise (e.g., philosophy, women's studies) that expand your mind/worldview, "forces" you to read books you never would have otherwise which do the same, etc. Things that may come back and strike you again and again as life goes on... even if you never earn a dime from them.
    It is absolutely true though, that returning students do seem to be, ON AVERAGE, enjoying the whole process a whole lot more than the 18 year olds (that's enjoying the academic side I mean...the 18 year olds are doing fine at enjoying the extracurricular parts! ).
    ITA PWS. I went to college intending on becoming one thing and left pursuing a different career. I actually don't know of many people who went to college specifically with the intention of becoming a doctor or a lawyer who actually became a doctor or lawyer (just to use two examples). But I loved going to college, meeting all the different people, living away from my parents, and taking all those interesting (and some non interesting) classes.

College definitely is NOT for everyone and I think it's up to parents to really discuss this issue with their kids to see what's best for them. I do think that in this day and age, most (but not all) college grads will have a leg up in terms of what opportunities will be available to them as opposed to those who didn't continue their education. I also think that while college may not turn out to be fiscally beneficial for some people, it rarely hinders a person's personal growth.

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2472934;
    In-laws arrive today.

Good luck.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2473582;
    College definitely is NOT for everyone
    I agree. My niece once gave my son a hard time and told him he was wasting his life by going to a community college. The thing is, if everyone went for the 4-year Bachelor's degree who would we get to do all those things that we take for granted, like fix our cars, our computers, enforce the law and keep the streets safe, not to mention who would do our hair?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2473582;
    ITA
    What does ITA mean?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2474093;
    Good luck.
    Thank you!

We had a bit of a scare as the place they rented has some problems (we did warn them) and it would be really hard to cram everyone in here. But it will probably work out *whew*.

We'll be heading out to meet them at the beach soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2474147;
    What does ITA mean?
    I Totally Agree (usually)

+ Reply to Thread