+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5807Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

lei
    FORT Fogey

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

So the good news is that Mr. lei's mom, brother, three aunts and an uncle are coming to visit!

And the bad news is also that all these in-laws are coming to visit!

Just kidding. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also relieved that they're not staying with us (our house is tiny.)

I do have a bit of anxiety about it. I love his mom and bro but haven't met the others, and overall they are just different enough from us to make things a bit awkward sometimes. If that makes sense.

They arrive tomorrow night. I've been getting the house and garden all nice, and generally clearing my decks for a nice "vacation" with them.

I'll still make time to check in with some general discussion threads, as those are especially good for me. But I'm gonna miss the frivolous TV talk.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

mrd---I'm with those who think this is probably a good idea, in large part because of her age and recent home schooling---it will let her get to be an age where she can more hold her own with her fellow frosh at college, and it will give her some opportunity to socialize more in a classroom setting, but one (not to stereotype!) not so likely to be filled with guys looking for naive little freshwomen. And when she finishes she'll still only be 17...maybe she could even take a year of business classes at a local community college before moving on to "real" college.
    At some point I agree it would be good for her to get out on her own and go to a "sleep away" college, but this seems like a good plan to make good use of her transition time. Just so she realizes that once she is in college she's not going to have all that much time to work if she wants to make good grades. I see this all the time at my school---students who somehow think that they can work 30 or 40 an hour week jobs and still be in school fulltime. Not possible if you want a decent GPA.
    Sounds like a good kid!!! And good parents!!

MRD, great cabinet! I have never heard of a Habitat store. Will have to check and see if we have one in our area.

My older daughter's college roommate had done a cosmetology course prior to going away to college. She posted signs up in the dorm, and around campus, and I do know that she made major bucks working on people's hair....right in the dorm room! She charged the going rate as well for coloring, perms, etc. It was by no means comparable to full-time employment, but it did give her funds for gas, beer, and all the other essentials of college life. One word of caution though, she did have to pay a lot of money to have the carpet cleaned or replaced after inadvertently dropping a bowl of hair dye onto the carpet! My daughter only roomed with her for one year, though, as she got annoyed if she was trying to study and her roomie was blow-drying or just jabbering away with a student-client.

Also look at it this way, women (and men) will always need to have someone do their hair. She will always have this to fall back on if her chosen major doesn't pan out.

Another friend of my daughter's is a hairdresser. She just had a baby and doesn't want to go back to work and leave the baby with a sitter. Right now, she does hair in her home at night and on weekends when her husband is home. That way, she is with her baby and can also make some money and have her hubby take care of the baby when he is home. She also charges the going rate for her services, just as if she were working in a salon.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I always thought it would be a good idea to get a barber's license (or least training) to use while you were in college. You could become adept at men's and womens cuts, maybe without all of the "stuff" needed for perms, dyes, etc? You could make money at your convenience, and appointments wouldn't be so dang long. People that I've know who have done this have made money, hand over fist, at their leisure....especially if they were good!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'd suggest reading Uncle David's excellent post again--two or three times!
    Even if one is "college material" as judged by test scores, etc., that doesn't automatically mean that it's the best bet.
    I went for six years, and have never had a job that required a degree-- I prefer to "work my butt off" as you call it, rather than work in "my' field.
    I've always kind of felt that I sure did waste a lot of time and money, when I probably would have been better off going to a tech school, at least to start with. There's would have been plenty of time to go to college later, had I wanted.

Had I waited until I was 25, I might have been interested in quite a few fields that would have never occurred to me at 17. Just a thought. Everything doesn't have to happen ASAP.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2472557;
    Had I waited until I was 25, I might have been interested in quite a few fields that would have never occurred to me at 17. Just a thought. Everything doesn't have to happen ASAP.
    Totally right, this is. I work in an industry that recruits herds of co-op students every spring and puts them on the path to eventual partnership. And every year I become friendly with people in their mid-twenties who deeply regret having spent the past five years learning how to do something they can't see doing for the next two years, never mind for the rest of their life. I think your daughter has a good plan in mind, mrd, and it gives her plenty of flexibility should she come to an alternate realization in a few years what she really wants to do for the rest of her life.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD, sorry I missed the photo of your potting table: Wow, that is really nice! Lucky you!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I think I may have to buy me a pair of those Croc shoes. I usually pay no attention to the orthopedic quality of my shoes, I look for style, but I have been suffering from fallen arch pain lately. I could get some Dansko shoes for over $100 or some Crocs for under $30. I am looking at the website to try and find a pair I wouldn't be too hard for me to look at and still offer the foot support I need.

lei
    FORT Fogey

In-laws arrive today.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Good luck, and "bless your heart". Can't wait to hear how it went/or is going!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread