+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6258Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Advice needed:

My daughter who is 16, will be graduating from HS this fall. (she is homeschooled and has worked hard to take the required classes to graduate early)

She has come to us with a plan. I think its a good plan, but I am also concerned.

Here's the plan followed by my concerns.

She wants to enroll in cosmetology school in Jan. It's a year course. Her plan is to become a working hair stylist and support herself through a regular 4 year college program. She wants to major in business and eventually start and run her own salon. She has talent, she cuts and styles her own hair and mine (boy was I reluctant the first time she wanted to cut mine, but she did a good job).

I just worry that she won't go on to college. There is nothing wrong with being a hair stylist, but I don't want her to have to work her butt off to earn a living if she doesn't go on to college. And yes, owning a salon would also be working her butt off, but the return would be a lot bigger than if she was a stylist in someone else's salon.

While I think it was a well thought out plan when she came to us (she had researched cosmetology schools in the area and had all this research, costs, lenght of school, etc.), I am disappointed as I would really like her to start college and get it over with. I am impressed with the time and effort and research and thought she has put into this plan.

My only problem is that sometimes when you have something to fall back on, you don't always go ahead with the harder effort because you can fall back and I don't want to see that happen.

Any thoughts?
    I want to be encouraging and we did tell her we were impressed with the way she presented the idea to us and all her research, etc., but we asked her to give us a few days to think about the idea.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

How about if she interviewed a salon owner/operator? She could get a lot of insight as to what she'd be up against.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

In reply to mrd - If your daughter really loves to do hair then I think the one year program to get that license is great. I am not so sure that college would help the part of owning her own business (don't tell her that part though). My sister in law worked at salons where she rented her space from the owner and didn't have to worry about the overhead of the shop, only her supplies and clients. Just recently she was able to go into a partnership to buy the salon (lease space from the Landlord) and go into business of running her own salon. The downside is finding someone (or more than one) to run their own business out of her salon and rent the space from her. Even if they have a contract, sometimes they'll just leave and she's "stuck" paying full rent whether she has other contract workers there or not.
    Your daughter sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders so I think she will either A) do well without the college or B) really want to go to college, and not disappoint you, and continue with her plan.

I agree it sounds like a good plan - a very smart plan, actually. And while she's working, she can also get some first-hand observations about how a shop operates. I understand your concern. My initial thought is about how good she is with following her plans. Does she normally set a goal and continue to work towards it or is she the type that gets tired of things part way through?

Be glad your daughter has some goals. My 16-year-old son's goal is to eat and sleep. He does have a job, but no long-range goals. He mentioned something about college a couple of months ago, and I almost fell over!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

MRD:

Check out the statistics on how many college graduates are working in their field of choice.
    Imagine the social ramifications of a 16 year old girl going to college with 18 year olds.
    Note that businesses, up to a certain level, are not worried about the diploma per se. They're interested in the commitment it shows.
    Your daughter has a plan. A viable, realistic plan. A rare thing in this day and age.

If it were my daughter I would champion her efforts.

She's obviously a bright, motivated girl. Rather than tossing her in with a bunch of older kids that may or may not accept her, (and/or corrupt her) give her the lead. Let her take the next couple of years to form socially, (under your guidance at home) while learning a skill that will help her with her college finances.

A college degree is no guarantee she will have a good life. Your daughter has an admirable plan. It's a plan that she feels good about. And, even if she stops prior to going to college, and finds she's happy as a stylist, she'll be head and shoulders above most of the workforce in terms of happiness. However, since she'll still be at home with you, she'll have your positive guidance and motivation, and, more than likely, she'll want to continue on to college.

You did a good job raising her. Now it's time to let her take what you've taught her, and apply it to her future.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Here's a new phone scam.

JURY DUTY SCAM: This has been verified by the FBI (their link is also included below). Please pass this on to everyone in your email address book. It is spreading fast so be prepared should you get this call. Most of us take summons for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty, that a new and ominous kind of scam has surfaced. The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give out any of this information and bingo; your identity just got stolen. The scam has been reported so far in 11 states, including Oklahoma , Illinois , and Colorado . This (scam) is particularly insidious because they use intimidation over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by pretending they ' re with the court system. The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites, warning consumers about the fraud.

Check it out here:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Jury Rigged

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Press Room - Headline Archives
    Last edited by Leo; 07-12-2007 at 12:14 PM.

MRD: Sounds like your girl has a good plan. I'd let her start with it knowing that there is always room for change of mind and change of direction.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

lei
    FORT Fogey

mrd - Beautiful planter, and great cause! Thanks for sharing them.

And you've gotten a lot of great feedback about your daughter. She sounds wonderful and I'm sure she'll do beautifully!

About four years ago I heard that the average high school graduate will have nine careers. Not jobs -- careers. Everything is changing so fast, and college isn't always the course. Mr. lei didn't finish and he's doing really well, whereas I did finish and....well I help him do really well.

rt1ky - A good reminder to never give anyone your social security number unless you know exactly whom you're dealing with.

MRD

You guys have given me great advice. Uncle David, I wish you had been my parents growing up.

Thanks all. It's made me realize that she is pretty darn smart. How in the world did I manage to raise a kid like this? I have NO clue.

And Scout Mom, this summer, we rarely see her until well after noon. In fact, its just after 1 pm and she just got up. But she manages to get everything done she needs too and is right now working on an assignment on her computer even having just got up.

I didn't have a plan at 18, 19, or 25. My biggest plan was what I was going to do on Sat. night.

You have all given me much to consider and think about and will talk to hubby this evening and then talk to her again. Thanks guys.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

myrosiedog, if you are confident that your daughter wants to do this because she really wants to...and not because she thinks it'll be easier than college (personally, I think starting a business is harder than going to college!)...then it might be good for her. I am a big proponent of going away to college for a lot of reasons other than academics. For a lot of people, it's the first time they're away from home and get an opportunity to socialize with all sorts of different people and gain some independence. BUT...I also realize that college is not for everyone and not everyone is college material. The dilemma lies in that your daughter obviously is college material. She sounds like a very mature young woman who knows the value of money and education. I think the best of both worlds is that she take this year to learn the hair business. She will only be 17 after that year. Then she continues her education (and by then, she may have realized she doesn't want to be a stylist but would rather be a biologist or something else perhaps). If she still has the passion for hair, perhaps that could be her job while she's going to college.

p.s. I LOVE the cabinet your husband made for you! It's gorgeous...

+ Reply to Thread