+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Another dog we had years ago, we fed cotton candy too. The look on her face was priceless. She could not tell where it went. "I had it in my mouth a second ago!" It was hysterical and she searched the floor and her surroundings looking for it. We gave her more and same reaction.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

lei
    FORT Fogey

Okay you know I love you all and I know this isn't a controversial thread but please don't feed candy to pets, thank you.

Wow. It's amazing how many of us have such "sweet memories" of the candy of our day!

Switching the subject to the weather for a moment; we're expecting a long heat wave so everyone remember to hydrate themselves AND all your pets! And remind everyone else too! I expect the kitties and I shall retire to the cold basement for the evening's rest for awhile.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

This is to show off what my husband built me for Mother's Day and to plug Habitat for Humanity.

My husband works for a high end custom home builder. They managed to throw away an incredible amount of wood. All kinds. From cheap 2 x 4's to expensive hard woods used in trims and other high end detail work in these homes. He brings a lot of it home and made the potting bench out of cedar for me.

Here's my Habitat plug. He's been trying to get his boss to donate what they throw away to the Habitat for Humanity store. It keeps the stuff out of our landfills and it goes to a good cause.
    If you have never been to a Habitat for Humanity store, look to see if your area has one. If you are doing a home project, you can get a LOT of your supplies at the habitat store. All of it is donated and the money goes to funding Habitat. The inventory changes as its donated, but they have wood, plumbing and electrical materials, countertops. The conditions are usually new or in VERY good shape. People or builders will buy something, don't use it for whatever reason and donate it to the Habitat Store. And the prices are much lower than Home Depot or Lowe's. Sometimes they may not have what you are looking for, but keep checking. We've seen some NICE things in there. From high end floor tile, carpet, cabinets, etc.
    So it helps you out with expenses and it helps a good charity.

And if you know builders, then encourage them to donate. Habitat will PICK UP from the job site, what they are donating which is why my husband is trying to talk to his boss. They apparantly throw away way too much stuff where he's working now. Most of the guys have been bringing stuff home to use, but they can't bring it all.

So anyway, this actually started off with my scrap lumber potting bench and I did want to show that off.

What a great bench and such a worthwhile cause.

Beautiful bench, mrd (do you think he'd build me one ), and I love the Habitat for Humanity store. We always go there first when we need something during our endless renovations.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2470827;
    Beautiful bench, mrd (do you think he'd build me one ), and I love the Habitat for Humanity store. We always go there first when we need something during our endless renovations.
    Actually several neighbors have expressed an interest. He's actually thinkiing about possibly building them and selling them. It took him 2 hours total to build, no lie. And a little longer to stain. He only had to buy the hinges. We had the wood and the stain.

So yeah, but you have to come here to pick it up!

I do have to mention that he has been using it for HIS fixit projects. I have to go out and clean off the hammer, nails, etc. when I need to do any potting. I told him, he needs to build his own!

He's come up with a hammer holder that you wear on your belt. He's been making them for the guys at work. They are plastic, rivited and last longer than the ones that are for sale in the stores that are leather. He's thinking about getting a patent and making them for sale. So he needs his own work bench as he's always got mine filled up with stuff.

MRD=that is a great potting table. I am so envious. Having a DH who can build things is wonderful. My DH, when he was in better health could do anything.

Right now I am remodeling our half bath. Yesterday I laid tiles and will finish that up today and grout tomorrow. DH is the "foreman" He is a strict taskmaster-but I couldn't do it without his advice. I found the vanity top at the Habitat restore. It was a brand new piece of granite that someone had cut to the wrong length and they recut it for me for 10 bucks. The whole thing was 30 so I got lucky there.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2470871;
    MRD=that is a great potting table. I am so envious. Having a DH who can build things is wonderful. My DH, when he was in better health could do anything.

Right now I am remodeling our half bath. Yesterday I laid tiles and will finish that up today and grout tomorrow. DH is the "foreman" He is a strict taskmaster-but I couldn't do it without his advice. I found the vanity top at the Habitat restore. It was a brand new piece of granite that someone had cut to the wrong length and they recut it for me for 10 bucks. The whole thing was 30 so I got lucky there.
    Well we go through bursts of him building/fixing stuff and then bursts of me nagging him to fix stuff.

Isn't that Habitat store great? You can find a lot of great and inexpensive items there. Granite countertops are mucho expensive anywhere else. I bet your bath will be beautiful when you get finished. Post pics.

That is one great potting table. I have a bookend my husband made in shop class

Gotta go look for a Habitat store....
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread