+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6383Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a different and more positive note:

I have been watching the Live Earth Concerts today. I can't believe its been 25 years since Live Aid started the age of the global concert. I still have my VHS tapes of Live Aid that I recorded from TV. I remember being so caught up in the whole "atmosphere" of Live Aid at the time. And today has made a big impact on me too. For one, I realize that I am WAY out of touch with today's music scene. Who are some of these people? And some are very good and I'd like to hear more. Others, nah.

The other thing is that I gathered up about 7 canvas tote bags that I have gotten free from various things over the years and I put them in the car and will use them for groceries. 2 Billion people are supposedly watching this and if everyone just changes one small thing (like the grocery bags), it will make a huge difference.

So I'm going to try to make more changes (we already recycle and other stuff) and I am definetly not using anymore plastic grocery bags if I can help it. So I think that the concerts have done a good job. At least on me. I also watched the Concert for Diana last weekend. I really get into concerts for a cause, mostly because I love music so much so I always watch them.
    But also because this is a good way to raise awareness I think. Heck, I already try to do my part and its raised my awareness even more to try to be more green.

And this may only be funny to me, but what the heck. As I've watched this today, some acts I didn't care for, so I picked up my book and read between good acts. Well, hubby was out running errands and he comes in and says: "You've been watching this all day and now you're reading too, is that saving energy?" poking fun at me and being semi-serious too.
    Then he looks at what I'm reading and says: "I think you've been assaulted by Al Gore enough today" and turns off the tv (it was a rap artist I had never heard of, so no biggie).
    The book I'm reading is Al Gore's "Assault on Reason" and Al Gore is behind the Live Earth Concerts and has been on TV several times today speaking.

So I guess I have been assaulted by Al Gore pretty much all day. But in a good way.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I've seen those light bulbs that they mentioned and i made a mental note of it for future reference. Already i'm turning off the tv when not in use, the AC's when i'm out and even my pc. I've been watching all day as well.

On a crappy note, i woke up to the sight of my ceiling leaking, yet again(about the 5th time). This time my neighbor wasn't spared as well. Apparently her living room was flooded, while ours wasn't, we didn't end up with apple juice either(if you get my drift). I was incredibly pissed because when they came to paint, they merely put some plaster on it, in essence a bandaid which didn't do much.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2464616;
    I've seen those light bulbs that they mentioned and i made a mental note of it for future reference. Already i'm turning off the tv when not in use, the AC's when i'm out and even my pc. I've been watching all day as well.
    Just for everyones information, one thing to keep in mind if you do change your lighting from incandescent to fluorescent, when disposing of the fluorescent bulbs they must be recycled because of mercury. (Yes there is a small amount in them.) Also if anyone really wants to know, incandescent bulbs should be recycled also as the solder on the bases contains small amounts of lead. - The bulbs I use - Phillips - recommends disposal by recycling of all types of light bulbs.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I have no hope of catching up here - I've been spending my limited computer time reading the Big Brother live feed discussions. Yesterday was the perfect beach day - not too hot, not too cold, steady stream of swimmers, but never so busy that it made me stressed. I even got an umbrella in the not-quite-big-enough umbrella pole with the help of some WD40 so I sat in the shade all day. (Getting it out was another story - high up on a chair afraid it will let go suddenly and topple you)
    Count your blessings!

Use more WD40 to get that umbrella out! I use that stuff for everything that sticks or squeaks. I am also a fan of florist wire - I have yet to come across anything that cannot be fixed with florist wire.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

You know the Redneck Rules...
    If it's supposed to move, but it won't, use WD-40.
    If it's not supposed to move, but it does, use duct tape.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

For those of you who use duct tape, treat yourself to some gaffer's tape. It does the job of duct tape with less hassle and mess. I haven't bought duct tape in years.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2465274;
    You know the Redneck Rules...
    If it's supposed to move, but it won't, use WD-40.
    If it's not supposed to move, but it does, use duct tape.
    I was just going to post this and you beat me to it!

Yep, we have a good supply of both around here. My husband even used duct tape to fix his jeans one day at work.

WD40 will also take crayon off walls, tables, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2465289;
    For those of you who use duct tape, treat yourself to some gaffer's tape. It does the job of duct tape with less hassle and mess. I haven't bought duct tape in years.
    But can it patch jeans???
    Last edited by MRD; 07-08-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2465318;
    But can it patch jeans???
    Because it's a cloth tape it not only patches them, but its significantly more comfortable than duct tape. And when you take the tape off after a few days it doesn't leave the sticky residue duct tape leaves. I use it in the backcountry all the time. I've repaired my backpack, tent, cloths, just about everything you can imagine.

Here's a trick. Take a number two pencil and break or cut it down to the length of the tape. Then roll the gaffer's tape around the pencil. It's lightweight and unobtrusive. I imagine you ladies could carry it in your purse for emergencies. And the black tape is very fashionable.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2465408;
    Because it's a cloth tape it not only patches them, but its significantly more comfortable than duct tape. And when you take the tape off after a few days it doesn't leave the sticky residue duct tape leaves. I use it in the backcountry all the time. I've repaired my backpack, tent, cloths, just about everything you can imagine.

Here's a trick. Take a number two pencil and break or cut it down to the length of the tape. Then roll the gaffer's tape around the pencil. It's lightweight and unobtrusive. I imagine you ladies could carry it in your purse for emergencies. And the black tape is very fashionable.
    Yes, well my husband used the duct tape in the "backcountry" too when he repaired the jeans. They were beyond fixing and it wasn't the duct tapes doing. It was too many wearings and too many washings and they just couldn't take the stress anymore and blew! There would have been NO sewing those babies up. And he has duct tape in a multitude of colors now. I never saw anyone so excited that it now comes in colors. One year for Christmas, he got several rolls of it in different colors in his stocking. I have to add that he also has added Gorilla Glue to his bag of tricks with the WD40 and duct tape. Everything in this house has been fixed with Gorilla glue.

I will check out the gaffer's tape. I hate duct tape and the stuff hates me and has it out for me every time I need to use it. It sticks where its not supposed to and I get very frustrated with it. Thanks for the tip about the gaffer's tape.

+ Reply to Thread