+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

CCL

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Adding my voice to the chorus of the get-well-soon wishers: Take care, myrosiedog!

The iphone looks very sweet but as I'm not a rabid cellphone user I don't think I could ever justify the expense. Until I win the lottery, of course.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I Is Stephanie

Well, I personally wouldn't get an iPhone if my ife depended on it (Apple horror stories), but I think that if the price came down a little it might look very enticing. I don't have a cellular, but I have mine all picked out already. Chocolate, by LG. The original black one. And my dad said that I can have all the services...music, TXTing, picture sending, internet...he can be cool when he wants to be, and he realized that I'll never survive in the world without all those. Smart man, he is. Now, I like Chocolate for many reasons.
    1) it does a lot
    2) it's sleek desin allows for maximum aerodynamic capabilities when walking around in a convienience store
    3) the buttons are small and take getting used to, so if my sister wanted to hack it, by the tme she got the hang of it, I'd catch her!
    4) it's so complicated, same as [3]
    5) it came out on my birthday

Now, the iPhone has all those features, but I think that since it's still essentially a protoype, it will still need some work. Maybe in a few "generations" (a generation for technology is 9 mionths) I'll consider it. I got my iPod as a 3rd generation model, and it had so many kinks, that, aside from it being a lemon, not a single day passes when I don't see it as a waste of $300. They're good ideas, but they're all taking over the world much too quickly.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2456420;
    Well, I personally wouldn't get an iPhone if my ife depended on it (Apple horror stories), but I think that if the price came down a little it might look very enticing. I don't have a cellular, but I have mine all picked out already. Chocolate, by LG. The original black one. .
    My sister has that phone, stephanie. It's very nice. It can be a bit sensitive touch-wise but overall it's cool.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2456417;
    Adding my voice to the chorus of the get-well-soon wishers: Take care, myrosiedog!

The iphone looks very sweet but as I'm not a rabid cellphone user I don't think I could ever justify the expense. Until I win the lottery, of course.
    Thanks CCL.

If I win the lottery, I still won't have a cell phone. I will make my personal assistant carry it. Well either personal assisant, cabana boy or "do" boy will carry it and I will instruct him to get the person on the phone and then hand it to me. Hey, its the lottery, why not go ALL out!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

lei
    FORT Fogey

I've had six cellphones over the last ten years and I adore my razr. I had to take advantage of the warranty twice, but att/cingular took care of it smoothly. I just like the design. I don't text, and a phone seems too small to internet for me.

My wallpaper is the only picture I ever took with the phone, it is of two of my babies snuggling:

My ring tone is Def Leppard:

"Rise up! gather round
    Rock this place to the ground
    Burn it up let's go for broke
    Watch the night go up in smoke
    Rock on! Rock on!
    Drive me crazier, no serenade
    No fire brigade, just Pyromania
    What do you want?"

Also I got a leather case since I tend to drop it, and I got a Motorola earpiece so I can garden/clean/drive while I talk.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2455943;
    I agree, all I need is a device I can use when I need it. Can you believe my phone doesn't even have a camera?
    What? No camera? Mine doesn't either. I figure that's just more technology that I would have to learn to operate, and I'm tired.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2456541;
    What? No camera? Mine doesn't either. I figure that's just more technology that I would have to learn to operate, and I'm tired.

I feel the same way! I don't even know how to use all the buttons and stuff on our tv remote! When the ac went out and the landlord replaced it, they installed a programable thermostat. It took me a month to figure out and we were either freezing or burning up until I got all the settings and times down.
    It's bad when you can't even work your thermostat. Heck, the booklet was one of the biggest instruction manuals I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2456620;

I feel the same way! I don't even know how to use all the buttons and stuff on our tv remote! When the ac went out and the landlord replaced it, they installed a programable thermostat. It took me a month to figure out and we were either freezing or burning up until I got all the settings and times down.
    It's bad when you can't even work your thermostat. Heck, the booklet was one of the biggest instruction manuals I've ever seen.
    Me three. I've finally figured out how to program the thermostat, but I can't figure out how to turn off the programming and set it to manual, which, as it turns out, is okay. Apparently this winter I used 3% less energy, even though the season was 8% colder than the previous winter.

My biggest tech problem (besides the computer) is DVD recorders. When one of my VCRs finally died, I replaced it with a DVD recorder. I spent six stinking hours with it, the remote and the instruction manual and didn't make the slightest bit of headway into figuring out how to record on the stupid thing. I took it back the next day and replaced it with a VCR/DVD combo. Personally, I hope they don't stop making those things until after I'm dead, or I'm screwed vis a vis recording Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2456644;
    Me three. I've finally figured out how to program the thermostat, but I can't figure out how to turn off the programming and set it to manual, which, as it turns out, is okay. Apparently this winter I used 3% less energy, even though the season was 8% colder than the previous winter.

My biggest tech problem (besides the computer) is DVD recorders. When one of my VCRs finally died, I replaced it with a DVD recorder. I spent six stinking hours with it, the remote and the instruction manual and didn't make the slightest bit of headway into figuring out how to record on the stupid thing. I took it back the next day and replaced it with a VCR/DVD combo. Personally, I hope they don't stop making those things until after I'm dead, or I'm screwed vis a vis recording Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
    Well, I can already see a difference in our electric bill from having the programmable thermostat and I really like it now that I know how to use it, but it was a pain. I should just let the 16 year old do it as she has to help me with everything else. She helped me set up a myspace account. I wasn't going to jump on that bandwagon, but one day she was bored and we spent an enjoyable couple of hours together doing that (which is rare these days as we are literally together too much and it shows. So it was nice to have some quality time even though she gets very frustrated with me and my lack of technical prowess).

Speaking of myspace. Stephen Colbert is on there as someone I would like to meet. We watch him and Jon Stewart and Bill Mahr regularly. I think that Stephen Colbert truly is one of the few people that absolutely loves his job. I get such a kick out of him some times as he just really looks and acts like he almost can't believe his good fortune to be doing something so fun and I think that his happiness shines through and makes the show what it is. It, to me is one of the funniest shows on tv. I LOVE his "role".

We don't have a DVD recorder. Probably a good thing. But we do have a tivo and there are things I'd like to record to VHS from it and apparantly you can do that, but none of the 3 of us has figured out how yet so my storage capacity on the tivo is slowly filling up. However, I can say that I am the best tivo user in the house. I have the knack of fastforwarding down to an art where I miss the commercials and can hit the show we are watching right at the exact spot. The other 2 can't and have to back up and go forward and back up and go forward until I want to just SCREAM! But while I'm good with FF and Rewind, I'm not real good at all the other buttons on the remote that came with it.

I swore I would never get as inept as my dad, but apparantly its genetic. I never could understand how a man that was so brillant, who worked in intelligence (Naval and CIA) and was a chemical engineer and also became a pilot and flew planes off an aircraft carrier could later in life be so clueless. Loveable, but clueless. And now I'm there myself!

I get the feeling that sometimes the world is going much faster than I am. But then, I also dont' feel so stressed and pressured and that's a good thing.
    I tried text messaging on my friends phone and I am horrible, so I would never get a phone that I had that capability, nor do I feel the need to be THAT connected to everyone on the planet. I'm getting to where I don't even want to answer my home phone anymore. It's not that I'm anti-social, but I just feel like its a nuisance at times. Maybe my husbands plan of holing up in the mountains and getting back to basics isn't so crazy to me after all. (Oh, who am I kidding? I'd last about 3 days and then need my tv, computer and phone and my ipod, another device that I'm incapable of using to its fullest, but I can use it enough that I can hear the music and music is so important to me. I think it really can change my moods. Ok, I can tell the pain meds are making me ramble, time to go. )

lei
    FORT Fogey

I see we're moving onto other forms of technology. For those who are technically inclined, MythTV is way better than TiVo and DVR. It's totally free, you can skip all commercials, searching and listing is easy, and storage is limited only by your hard disk. The catch -- while it's easy for an end-user, its setup and maintenance requires a Linux geek. Fortunately I have one of those. Anyone who might be interested feel free to PM.

mrd - you sound like you're still in good spirits today. So glad you're feeling well.

+ Reply to Thread