+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Mrd - I don't know if any other stores do this, but I know Lowe's gives really good deals on their dented and scratched products. My folks got a full-size standing freezer for $100. The only thing wrong with it was a scratch on the side. I'd ask around at the local stores to see if they have a dent and scratch department. You can get amazing deals.

Rattus is right - you can get great deals on freecycle.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Leo-the W&D belong to us, so we can replace them at our convenience, makes no difference to the landlord. We were surprised to learn that in SC, it is common practice to rent a house without ANY appliances meaning refrigerator or stove. We lucked out and there was a stove here, but we had to supplly our own refrigerator too. In Florida, the rentals usually come with stove and refrigerator. We are anxious to buy a house and are waiting (as usual) on the VA to send the paperwork as my husband qualifies for a VA loan, so I may end up having to buy other appliances as well soon. UGH.

Rattus-Freecycle and craigslist do not have huge followings here. I freecycled quite a bit in Florida. I have used freecycle here to get rid of things, but so far, nothing has come on freecycle that I wanted or needed. People just don't post a whole lot to either one for some reason. (I call it the snob factor)

Unk-you are killing me! Please stop. I hopefully will be home tonight after hernia surgery and won't be able to laugh like that without hurting myself.

MB-I agree washtubs for flowers or beer. Mine has flowers that have FINALLY started blooming, I didn't think they ever would.

Critical-we are definetly going to look at the scratch and dent stuff. We bought a stove and refrigerator about 15 years ago from Sears that were both "dented". Once installed, the dents were on the sides and you never saw them. Great deals.

PS-love the smell of line dried clothes, but not for towels or jeans which come out stiff as a board. However, we are not allowed to have a clothesline here. I hate deed restrictions.

Kat & Lei-love your puns!!

Well off to the hospital. Thanks again guys for the well wishes (I am nervous) and the advice on the washer. I'm rethinking my idea for disposable clothes now. Won't need a washer if I could market those.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Critical-we are definetly going to look at the scratch and dent stuff. We bought a stove and refrigerator about 15 years ago from Sears that were both "dented". Once installed, the dents were on the sides and you never saw them. Great deals.
    Bring a screwdriver and a small hammer, and you'd be surprised at how much scratch-and-dent merchandise is out there
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Reminds me of an "All In The Family" episode where Archie uses a hammer to dent cans at the grocery store while shopping with Edith!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

myrosiedog: Thinking of you today. Get well soon!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2455821;
    Bring a screwdriver and a small hammer, and you'd be surprised at how much scratch-and-dent merchandise is out there
    You have the best one liners at the Fort!

We actually got our stainless steel fridge with water and ice dispenser at Lowes. It was a $1,600 unit that had a small dent on one of the doors. It's not even noticable and they gave it to us for $900. Almost 50% off. It was still a splurge, but it's a wonderful fridge and well worth every penny, although there is no way I would have paid $1,600 for it. Not unless it came with a guarantee to last FOREVER.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Is anyone planning on getting the iphone today? Were you in line early this morning? I only use my cell phone for making calls and a few text messages. I don't use my internet browser. I only got that phone model because it was free with the plan I wanted.
    At $500, the iphone is really expensive and I've heard that the AT&T service can cost $100 a month. If I had to have one, I would wait until the price went down.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 06-29-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Premium Member

Not me. We just got new cell phones a few weeks ago and opted for the basic models because we don't need all that extra stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2455938;
    Not me. We just got new cell phones a few weeks ago and opted for the basic models because we don't need all that extra stuff.
    I agree, all I need is a device I can use when I need it. Can you believe my phone doesn't even have a camera?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2455943;
    I agree, all I need is a device I can use when I need it. Can you believe my phone doesn't even have a camera?
    Mine is one of those pre-paid ones, no camera, no frills. It's not a tracfone, type, that you have to load every few months, either. As long as I make one call every 60 days, the account stays active, and I only have to load it when my balance runs down.

Does exactly what I need it to do, too - makes and receives phone calls, .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread