+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6993Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

lei
    FORT Fogey

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Oh Unk, you crack me up!!!

I have my appt tonight at Home Depot to start remodling my Kitchen finally.

and actually going to replace the stove that has been here since we moved in, so is about 25 years old. would be nice if the next one lasted that long.
    The dishwasher and refrigerator are fairly new, we have a 2-yr old ceramic tile floor - but its time to replace all the cupboards (also 25 years old, and
    pretty busted up.
    I'm looking forward to it , but not the 'design' work with the person at HD and not the tear up time.

we are lucky though. We have a double home - so there is an extra kitchen just next door we can use during the transition.

When we were up at Hocking Hills last year for the Ohio HOG rally, they let all of the motorcycles ride in the 'Washboard Days' parade there.
    all kinds of old fashioned laundry strung over the streets and street vendors. It was great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2454665;
    Im with you, Marleybone. I have seen a friend have to stoop over to get clothes into her fornt loader machine. She says thats the only drawback..but I still am not convinced they can clean really really dirty work clothes like my husband's clothes with so little water. I know it keep coming in repleneshing the water that is already in there, but it would constantly be black water, with my husband's dirty clothes!

It's amazing and I don't pretend to know how it cleans, but the front loaders really do clean even the tough stuff. I think better than the top loaders. I have a son who goes to a vocational high school and takes the Auto Tech classes. His overalls are nasty. They are greasy, stinky and just plain rank. I use the soak option on the machine (30 minutes) then run them through a regular cycle and they look almost new.

My hubby is also a part-time firefighter and I now only have to wash his clothing after a fire once. Before, I had to run them through at least 2 or 3 times to get rid of the smoky smell.

I have three boys and almost everything they own is stain free. I also have the pedestals, so I don't do much bending over and the added drawer space in the bottom was well worth the extra money to me. There are three dividers inside the drawers and I use them for mismatched/lost socks (just in case the mate magically reappears) and for cleaning rags. I really like mine, but they hold a bigger load and with 5 people in the house, it's a Godsend!

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2454854;
    It's amazing and I don't pretend to know how it cleans, but the front loaders really do clean even the tough stuff. I think better than the top loaders...
    I agree. In my experience they definitely clean better, with less water and much less soap. But I think they do cost more, and one can only do what one can do...

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2454795;
    I have my appt tonight at Home Depot to start remodling my Kitchen finally.

and actually going to replace the stove that has been here since we moved in, so is about 25 years old. would be nice if the next one lasted that long.
    The dishwasher and refrigerator are fairly new, we have a 2-yr old ceramic tile floor - but its time to replace all the cupboards (also 25 years old, and
    pretty busted up.
    I'm looking forward to it , but not the 'design' work with the person at HD and not the tear up time.

we are lucky though. We have a double home - so there is an extra kitchen just next door we can use during the transition.
    Oh. The work involved! We remodeled the kitchen about 4 years ago. The cupboards were really nice but the color was too dark. We sanded and painted them, and they still look great. Our stove came with the house and it was ancient. And pea green. My FIL took it apart (its the kind that is built into the cabinets) and used car paint to paint it white. It looks awesome and even though it is probably at least 20-25 years old...it still works perfectly. To look at it..you'd never guess it used to be green or that it's car paint.

When we pulled up the linoleum, we found gorgeous unfinished hard word floors. We sanded and finished it and it was beautiful. We ended up having to tile over it, though. Broke my heart, but it was pine and everytime anything was dropped, it left a big gash in the floor. We bought a stainless steel fridge with an ice maker (our one big splurge) and all the fixtures and faucets are brushed nickel. I painted the walls a light blue and put daisy border around the top. It really brightened up the room and the nickel looks great against the blue.

We are working on the bathroom now. We have the new shower installed and the new medicine chest. We don't like to put a bunch of stuff on the credit card, so it's taking us awhile to finish it. We save, then buy a bunch of stuff. Then we save more and buy more stuff. LOL....It's going to be beautiful when we are done, but it's going to take awhile. I bought purple paint for the walls. Not dark purple, but a cross between orchid and plum. It's a muted color and not loud at all. The floor is going to be tiled in grey ceramic tiles and everything else is going to be stark white. No way in the world would I put down a white floor in the bathroom! Not with all my sloppy boys! I'm also going to do all the towel racks and faucets in the brushed nickel. I really like the look.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2454892;
    We don't like to put a bunch of stuff on the credit card, so it's taking us awhile to finish it. We save, then buy a bunch of stuff. Then we save more and buy more stuff. LOL....It's going to be beautiful when we are done, but it's going to take awhile.
    That's the smart way to do it. I know some idiots who make a TON of money and are always in debt because they spend the equivalent of their combined gross incomes...forgetting that there are taxes etc. coming out of that nice 6-figure income... Dumbdumbs! I feel sorry for poor people who can't make ends meet no matter how much they save...But dumb rich folks? I have no pity for them!

We're remodeling part of our house as well, but we're contracting it out. I know we'd save money if we did it ourselves but we did that for most of the house...now I figure we can splurge a little and get it done faster and just pay for that convenience of having it done. But we're only doing what we can afford--so no ridiculous upgrades for us!

mrd, good luck tomorrow!!! And let the husband take care of the washing maching. Sounds like he'll do a fine job by myself...maybe by the time you get home he'll have it all installed...and you can milk it a while and let him and the daughter tend to the laundry!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

mrd - add my well-wishes to the growing list for tomorrow! Don't stress tonight, and when you are feeling a bit better, let us know how you are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2454666;
    Sears was the FIRST place we looked and found nothing under $500.

Try Lowe's; they have lower priced machines, and home Depot, although I hate them, also sent out flyers today and showed a washer and dryer for around $399 each. Also, Kmart actually carries Kenmore now (still the same as the old brand) and they are on sale this week.
    And check marleybone's link--it shows a Sears washer for $299 on sale, and if your store doesn't have it, you caqn order online and have it sent to your local store-that's what I usually do because the stores near me never seem to have what I have picked either.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2454964;
    Try Lowe's; they have lower priced machines, and home Depot, although I hate them, also sent out flyers today and showed a washer and dryer for around $399 each. Also, Kmart actually carries Kenmore now (still the same as the old brand) and they are on sale this week.
    And check marleybone's link--it shows a Sears washer for $299 on sale, and if your store doesn't have it, you caqn order online and have it sent to your local store-that's what I usually do because the stores near me never seem to have what I have picked either.
    Thanks Queenb and everyone. I have made hubby a list (one he will probably leave home naturally) and I have included the websites. $299 would be great.

I think he has rubbed off on me. I came from a family that never bought anything used and he came from a family that never bought anything new. Now that I see that you can get decent stuff and not spend a fortune, I have definetly changed. We are trying to still get caught up from his layoff at Christmas, my health bills and would like to quit renting and get into our own house with a lower payment than the rent. So saving on the washer would be nice. I just don't have it in me to spend over $1000 for a washer. I mean, I really can't justify that, no matter how good it is. I have become a tightwad. Like Lois said. I'd rather save now and hopefully be a rich smart person in a few years than continue to be a dumb poor person. (which is why I am SO bummed that Payless is changing their shoeline to more upscale, expensive shoes. See the fads you wish would go away thread)
    And I'm REALLY tired of this line of bad luck that means we keep having to replace things right now. I want something to last long enough for me to get ahead.

Anyway, thanks loads everyone on the washer advice (Pun intended! )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread