+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7224Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I just endured a blackout. I hate those. As soon as i'm done here, im umpluging again, don't want to take any chances.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Speaking of spiders, when I was in my early 20's I lived in a rural canyon area, and the only market nearby was a little country store. I ran down there one night, got what I needed and as I was walking back to my car I saw a tarantula, and just kind of side-stepped around him, then got in my car. As I shut my car door, that big hairy thing jumped about two feet straight up into the air, then somehow zagged about three feet to the side, landing right outside my car. I had no idea they could jump like that, and when I realized how close I had walked by him, I sat in my car shaking for about 15 minutes. I swore I'd cut them a wide berth from then on, but never saw another one - thank goodness.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

MRD

I think I mentioned that our washing machine motor burned up a couple weeks ago. Well we have been trying to find a new washer and spent the weekend looking. Apparantly I have not bought a washer in a while and was shocked to see some of the prices. There were a couple that cost more than a couple cars I've driven.
    For $1200, I expect it not only to wash the clothes, but to dry, iron and fold them. And that was JUST the washer. The matching dryer was also around that price.
    Needless to say, we have not bought one yet and are schlepping clothes to the laundrymat and bringing them home to dry in our dryer.

I'm starting to sound like my parents now complaining about prices. I think I have officially reached "old fart" when I find myself saying: I remember when you could buy a new one for $100.

Oh, this actually started out as a pet peeve and I digressed. What irks me most is the appliance salespeople that shadow us around while we look. I hate high pressure sales and I would like to look first and then if I have questions, have a salesperson at the ready to answer them. But they start out pushing us towards the high end models which we are NOT going to buy.
    And they stand there while hubby and I discuss things. Well, I don't want them there as part of our discussion. There are things I HATE buying and cars and appliances rank right up there. It's a hassle, it means, shopping around and dealing with sales people, etc. I just hate it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Another spider story:
    When I was living in Indiana, my neighbor called me and told me that my son had been bitten by something and she was keeping an eye on it while he played at her house, but she wanted me to know the swelling was getting bigger and bigger. I had her send him home and on his leg there was an area almost the diameter of a golf ball and about 1/3 as puffy. She came over with him and started telling me about the time her husband was bitten by a brown recluse spider and it turned all black and had to be cut out and he was in the hospital for days and almost lost his leg and on and on.... Having no knowledge of the brown recluse, I allowed her to frighten me enough to take him to the ER. where I learned ($50 co-pay later) that very few brown recluse bites necrotize like his did and the MDs don't treat the bite, they treat the infection, so there's no sense going in unless it starts to look infected. Turns out he was reacting to some type of sting and the next day the swelling was gone and he had no itching or other residual effects. Normally I'm a wait-and-see type and I felt foolish for allowing myself to be talked into go overboard like that. When school started that fall, the ER doctor's daughter was in my other son's class. If he remembered the ditzy mom who took her son to the ER for an insect bite, he didn't let on.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I've got my own spider story. Waaaay back in 1969, when I was 9, my family drove from Toronto to Santa Barbara in a Volkswagen Beetle in four days. On day two, we stopped at a motel in Cheyenne, Wyoming for the night. Per usual, we were back on the road again at 5:00 the next morning, so not feeling the most alert and observant. Anyway, after a couple of hours of semi-snoozing, I woke up enough to think about doing some knitting to while away the time, so I turned to get my knitting bag from behind my seat. And right across the back window was a huge spider web with a black widow neatly centred on it. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhhhh hh!!!!! My dad stopped that car tout suite, never mind we were on the highway. I'm not sure how it got taken care of, being that both my parents were as phobic about spiders as I am, but apparently some one got rid of it.

Oh yeah, another story. I lived in Rhodesia when I was a kid - they had some kind of spiders there I tell ya. One morning, a spider fell off the ceiling, landed on a cereal bowl and broke it. And one evening, my father tried to kill a giant spider using hair spray and it just turned and attacked him. *shudder*.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

One morning, a spider fell off the ceiling, landed on a cereal bowl and broke it.
    Good lord, how big WAS that thing?!
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2454438;
    Good lord, how big WAS that thing?!
    Big enough to eat a bird .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2454385;
    I think I mentioned that our washing machine motor burned up a couple weeks ago. Well we have been trying to find a new washer and spent the weekend looking. Apparantly I have not bought a washer in a while and was shocked to see some of the prices. There were a couple that cost more than a couple cars I've driven.
    For $1200, I expect it not only to wash the clothes, but to dry, iron and fold them. And that was JUST the washer. The matching dryer was also around that price.
    Needless to say, we have not bought one yet and are schlepping clothes to the laundrymat and bringing them home to dry in our dryer.

I'm starting to sound like my parents now complaining about prices. I think I have officially reached "old fart" when I find myself saying: I remember when you could buy a new one for $100.

Oh, this actually started out as a pet peeve and I digressed. What irks me most is the appliance salespeople that shadow us around while we look. I hate high pressure sales and I would like to look first and then if I have questions, have a salesperson at the ready to answer them. But they start out pushing us towards the high end models which we are NOT going to buy.
    And they stand there while hubby and I discuss things. Well, I don't want them there as part of our discussion. There are things I HATE buying and cars and appliances rank right up there. It's a hassle, it means, shopping around and dealing with sales people, etc. I just hate it.

Whoa. $1200 for just the washer? I just had to replace my washer/dryer and bought a stackable set. Even with delivery, installation, tax and an extended warranty, they only cost me about $1150 total at Lowe's.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Oh, yeah..some of the front-loader washers are around 800.00 to 1200.00 just for the washer. I think my next one will be another top-loader.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2454385;
    mrd, $1,200 is too much! We had to replace our washer a couple years ago and our dryer just a few months ago. I was shocked at how expensive some of them are now, too!!! We got the dryer (a GE one to match the washer we purchased previously) for under $700 with delivery. Our washer cost around the same (the price hasn't changed since we bought it--I checked when we were ordering our dryer). Our washer isn't the fancy top load kind, but it's got digital buttons instead of knobs that you have to twist and it tells you how long it'll take for the laundry to be done (which is a nice touch, I think). So far, I really like them both. I can look up the model if you're interested in checking them out...We got ours at Lowe's but I'm sure all the big chains carry them. Hopefully this will last another 10 years or so like the old ones did.

When I was single, my parents bought me a washer/dryer set as part of my housewarming gift. They were from Sears (Kenmore) and lasted at least 12 years with no problems. They were still working great when I sold my house and left the appliances there for the new owner. I think both together at the time cost about $900.

+ Reply to Thread