+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6983Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Obnoxious charities

Are any of you getting hounded by charities when you've already sent in a donation...like less than a month ago? There are several charities Mr. Lane and I contribute to every year. One of them is the American Cancer Society. We made our annual contribution. One week later, we got another notice from them asking for a contribution. Well, ok, maybe our check and their letter crossed in the mail. Another letter came from them about 5 days later THANKING us for our contribution...and also enclosed was ANOTHER REQUEST for more money. Since then and now--which has been about 2 months--I've received 4 more requests for donations. One just yesterday.

I think it's a worthy charity, but I think they are being really obnoxious--and it makes me not want to give them any more. The American Lung Association sent me a thank you note and that was that. I haven't heard from them since I made my donation five months ago. I expect to hear from them in about another 7 months asking for our annual donation. Why can't they all be like that? Or send them out 2x or even 4x a year. But stop hounding me every other week!!!

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2452248;
    I hope it's brownies .
    now this post made me think of a Barney Miller episode where Wojohowicz's girlfriend baked hashish into the brownies and Yemana started singing...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

That has happened to us with charities before, Lois. It makes me want to think twice about donating, too. I've thought, "If I give more, will you pester me more"?

Sorry to switch subjects so abruptly, but on a totally unrelated note, has anyone else paid attention to the google ads that are placed right under the first post on each page (they show when you're not logged in)? I cracked up when I noticed the ones on the preceding pages have been for drug treatment programs and detox

Carry on.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I'm a nerd, as well as super paranoid. And I just KNOW if I ever did any drugs, or anything illegal for that matter, I would totally get caught. And then I would bust down into a blubbering pile of whimper SuperBratty goo. In regards to pot, I've only been around once when it was smoked, but I didnt partake. I sat on the very edge of the room, on the complete opposite side of the smokers, since the vast majority of any smoke makes me ill. Also, I use this argument: "i am weird enough on my own without chemical help"

My mom, who works at the local middle school, told me a couple of months ago that they had to call the police because three 7th graders were smoking pot in the bathroom. I was like,"people ACTUALLY do that? That's like, straight from the movies!"
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

lei
    FORT Fogey

Re: Obnoxious charities

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2452365;
    Are any of you getting hounded by charities when you've already sent in a donation...like less than a month ago?....
    That bugs me, too! I've even sent some polite emails/calls saying so. In addition to the obnoxiousness factor, it's a waste of trees.

Count me amongst those who believe alcohol and tobacco are waaay more harmful than marijuana. Booze and cigarettes kill people every day (a whopping 50% of tobacco smokers die of tobacco-related illnesses!) whereas there is not a single case of marijuana along killing anyone. Also problem drinking often makes for violence whereas a stoner's victim is usually one's own productivity (or an occasional brownie theft...probably because they forgot to pay for it!) Of course most anything can be abused but I think society has these things scheduled backwards. ETA: I'm not advocating usage, just making a point.

Onto something lighter, cricketeen my browser blocks the ads but thank you for sharing that; it's hilarious!
    Last edited by lei; 06-26-2007 at 05:14 PM.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2452365;
    Another letter came from them about 5 days later THANKING us for our contribution...and also enclosed was ANOTHER REQUEST for more money.
    That is one of my pet peeves. I guess they think it is easier to get people who donated before to donate again rather than canvass for new donors. But a little breathing space would be appreciated. I've also found this with charities that my mother donates to regularly. She has automatic payments set up so they get money from her monthly but then they will call her and ask for even more money for some specific campaign. It makes them come off as ungrateful for the regular donation, though I'm sure that is not their intent.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2452435;
    That is one of my pet peeves. I guess they think it is easier to get people who donated before to donate again rather than canvass for new donors. But a little breathing space would be appreciated. I've also found this with charities that my mother donates to regularly. She has automatic payments set up so they get money from her monthly but then they will call her and ask for even more money for some specific campaign. It makes them come off as ungrateful for the regular donation, though I'm sure that is not their intent.
    This is a big problem with a lot of senior citizens on fixed incomes. After a while, they get a little out of it and don't realize that they don't HAVE to send in money every month...or at all! One of my friend's grandma's depleted all her savings way before it was expected...when they went through her checkbook, they saw that she was giving money to about 5 or 6 different charities every month. Everytime she got one of the solicitation slips in the mail, she thought she was supposed to pay it--just like a bill. She was a smart, sharp woman in her day, but as we get older and a little dementia sets in...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am being harassed by The Salvation Army, as we speak. I made a donation to their Angel Tree program (clothes, toys, and dinner for the families) last Christmas, and it has been on ever since. Can't we just write "Refused" on the outside of the envelope of the charity solicitor and drop it back in the mail?? When I've gotten mail from someone who used to live here, previously, I usually put "Addressee Unknown" on the envelope and leave it for the mailman. My idiot mailman took several pieces of mail with "Addressee Unknown" on them, and proceeded to leave me a piece of mail addressed to one of those people. I will not give up!!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-26-2007 at 05:27 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2452451;
    Can't we just write "Refused" on the outside of the envelope of the charity solicitor and drop it back in the mail??
    Actually, you can!

I occasionally send them back with a note saying that I may or may not contribute, but my name and address will not be attached to the donation because I don't want to be harrassed. One charity that I feel strongly about (World Wildlife Fund) sends their requests to me by e-mail, which I'm fine with.

I remember donating to the Liver Foundation about 15 years ago, and for the following few years I was inundated by every disease charity going. That taught me not to hand out my contact info willy-nilly.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread