+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6257Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I'm one of those that can say that I've never done any type of drug! Have never really had any urge to do it either! The closest I've gotten to pot was at a concert and I was actually with my dad and I jokingly said I was going to sniff up all that air that I could because that was the closest I'd get to it.

I drank when I was a teenager but nothing outrageous....my son has heard the stories of the few times I came home wasted and how my dad would laugh about me bouncing off the walls as I walked down the hallway but who had no problem waking me up early the next morning and putting my butt to work doing yardwork....yardwork, heat and hangovers do not mix very well....

I never snuck out of my house, never went to a club when I was underage (but I was definitely there the DAY I turned legal ), never did drugs, never got into fights...I did break curfew quite a few times, I did drive my car waaay too fast most of the time, I did have sex before marriage, I did smoke a cigarette once...(blech).......I was a somewhat good girl who wanted to be one of those "bad" girls but never quite got up the courage to do it...
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Well I can tell you guys aren't lying, because you don't "do" or "take" pot.

We did not give our daughter ALL the details, but we also didn't lie either. She deserves to know why we don't want her to do those things and if us telling her that we did and therefore we were put into situations that were potentially dangerous because we choose to be stupid and do drugs so we would like to talk to her about what happens when you do something stupid likie that. No, she doesn't know everything and she probably never will. But I also wasn't going to lie to her and say I had never done anything like that because she is smart enough to know when we are lying to her.

For us, it worked. It may not for everyone and I do believe that us always being open and honest with her about several things has been more effective then us trying to lecture. The calm conversasion has worked a lot better and the fact that we were honest went a LONG way in her being honest with us.

I applaud those of you that never did drugs. I wish I could have said the same thing. But live and learn and yes, I was extremely lucky a few times. Now, I'm not saying I was a hard core drug addict either. But I did party and I did partake at parties.

Stephanie, don't do it! No matter what your parents say, just don't. It really is not worth it and THAT I CAN tell you from experience! I was lucky. Others weren't. But you never know which you will be, so just don't. Trust me, it doesn't make you cool, it makes you stupid.

ETA: I don't regret most of the things I've done. They did make me who I am today. I am the sum total of all my experiences. But that doesn't mean I condone anyone doing what I did.
    Would I do it again if I had the opportunity? Probably not. But then again, I don't want to go back and be a teenager again either.
    And I learned from most of the stupid, idiotic things I did. But again, that's who I am, it was who I was at one time. Does it make me a bad person? I don't think so. I am a lot older and wiser now and have changed my "wicked" ways. But I'm also not going to lie about who I am or once was.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-26-2007 at 05:35 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2451913;
    Well I can tell you guys aren't lying, because you don't "do" or "take" pot.
    Hee! You took the words right out of my post!
    A friend of ours was driving his teenage boys somewhere when the younger one asked "Dad, when you were a teenager, did you smoke pot?" Before he could answer, the older one snorted and said in his best know-it-all voice, "C'mon, N., it was the '70's".
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2451913;
    Well I can tell you guys aren't lying, because you don't "do" or "take" pot. .
    Okay, so as the expert, why don't you tell us pot virgins what the right term is?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2451952;
    Okay, so as the expert, why don't you tell us pot virgins what the right term is?
    I'm sure that there are people that are a lot more expert than I am on the subject, but back in the day, people smoked pot.

I don't want anyone to think I'm bragging. I was foolish, but I did learn from a lot of my past mistakes. But I also am not going to be a hypocrit and lie about the things I've done.

Anything else anyone want to know about me?

I actually think that pot is the least harmful, but it is still illegal. I do think that it could benefit some people medically, but until its legalized for that, then the risks outweigh any benefits. I certainly don't think its as dangerous as some of the prescription drugs that people abuse. I have a friend right now that is going through a terrible time because her husband is addicted to vicodan and he obtains it legally through his doctor. But that is a whole other argument.

Still I don't advocate its use to anyone, least of all my child and I do think that my honesty with her about it has been beneficial.

I can't erase my past, but I can live and learn from it and I have and I hope my experiences can be put to good use to help others (my child basically) not make the same mistakes that I did.
    I don't think anyone can say that they didn't do foolish things when they were younger. They may not have been against the law, but one of the things about being young is that you sometimes do make mistakes. I am a lot wiser now. At least I hope so.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I was so pathetic as a teenager, I didn't even have a curfew--there was no need since I never went anywhere. I doubt that I went for pizza with friends more than half a dozen times throughout high school. I was even worse in college--something about paying one's own way creates a stronger focus on what is important.

One of my older brothers got a stern lecture from Dad that to this day is a part of family lore. Dad was really laying down the law, but it didn't come out quite right:

If you're not in bed by midnight, you may as well come home!

My brother was smart enough not to laugh then, but he and Dad had some good laughs about it later. Much, much later.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I Is Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Stephanie, don't do it! No matter what your parents say, just don't. It really is not worth it and THAT I CAN tell you from experience! I was lucky. Others weren't. But you never know which you will be, so just don't. Trust me, it doesn't make you cool, it makes you stupid.
    I wouldn't. I have a "friend" who does it...I've seen him go from irl-obsessed genius to pot-obsessed loser who can't figure out how to spell his name. It's Eric.

And actually, drug rate at our school is pretty low, probably because of one of the gym teachers, she's so amazingly open that none of us really have any interest in anything...She tells us that while she is lesbian, she's had encounters with both genders, while she preaches drug free as the way to be, that's not always how she was, while she's a law-abiding citizen now, she wasn't always...

And she doesn't regret any of it. *However* she's just as fast to tell us that she's loat a few childhood friends to these same "issues," if you will, and she doesn't want to go through it with a student. So she says that if there'a ever anything wrong, she will probably be the only teacher we can go to who wouldn't judge us AT ALL, and we all believe her.

Of course, after her sotries there isn't much left to the imagination....probably part of her "drug free is the way to be" world-domination plan.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2451966;
    I actually think that pot is the least harmful, but it is still illegal. I do think that it could benefit some people medically, but until its legalized for that, then the risks outweigh any benefits. I certainly don't think its as dangerous as some of the prescription drugs that people abuse. I have a friend right now that is going through a terrible time because her husband is addicted to vicodan and he obtains it legally through his doctor. But that is a whole other argument.
    Honestly, I think that alcohol is much more dangerous than pot, and it is legal. And, speaking of legal prescription drugs, I do know someone who was so determined to take oxycontin, that she continued to force the issue in spite of the really hard dry heaves that it caused her to have everytime she took it. She obtained the prescription legally (from a doc who would give anything to anybody for the right price...you just had to know which words to use.) This is a mentality that I don't understand. I do believe in taking medication if I am truly in pain but, usually when a doc wants to write me a 'script, I always try to beg off with using my own ibuprofen. That usually works, and the prescribed medication is usually just a waste of my hard-earned money! I do like the valium for my dental visits, though!! Just about the only way I can go there is with a sedative on board.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2451523;
    My parents, who are actually pretty cool and wild, swore to me when I was a teenager that they never did drugs. .

I will be able to tell my children that I have never done drugs or drank underage. I had NO desire to do any of that. I was more interested in getting my education. Hell, I didn't even have a drink until I was 24 and I still have never touched or seen illegal drugs.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I Is Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2451966;
    I'm sure that there are people that are a lot more expert than I am on the subject, but back in the day, people smoked pot.

Yep. Smoking pot is still popular. Other exciting describing terms are:
    inhaling
    getting wasted on
    doing
    hitting the (usually only used when talking about a bong, but I have seen exceptions)
    and kissing.

And on the streets, you don't hear much about pot. You would probably hear about:
    dope
    joints
    weed
    reefer
    grass
    and mary-jane (derived from the phonetic pronounciation of marijuana).

Therefore is someone is talking about inhaling grass, they wern't mowing the lawn, and when someone tells you that they were kissing many-jane, they wern't making out with a girl. And those are tjust the common ones. There are over 300 acceptable terms for weed, and a "good" drug dealer will know what you're talking about with any of them. Don't ask how I know this. Fine, it was a drug lecture at school, which sparked a "pothead" in my spansish class to tell us all about the names of weed. Very exciting actually.

Um, so...at what point does this lose it's PG-13-ness?
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

+ Reply to Thread