+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5881Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I Is Stephanie

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Yeah, my parents susally use the aloof "we never dd that crap" approach..like they expect me to believe that, they were in there 20s in the 80s.

But what pushes me sometimes (I've never cracked though), is when I go to a party, my dad will seriosuly grill everyone there for a half hour beforehand about drugs...but nothing when I go to a concert. He's all "have fun, live life." It makes no sense to me, and I've lost a few friends because of my dad (who, BTW, looks like a hippy or something) freaking out on them, even though they're clean. I always think that it would serve him right if I came home high...but I never actually have the guts to go through with it.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

My parents, who are actually pretty cool and wild, swore to me when I was a teenager that they never did drugs. I didn't really believe them, but figured why would they lie to me. I've asked them the same question now as an adult and they still say they never did. I'll say the same thing to my sons because I never took pot or any other other drug.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2451523;
    I'll say the same thing to my sons because I never took pot or any other other drug.
    I'm actually one of those nerds who never did any drugs--not even pot. I just never wanted to. But if I did, I'd probably go by the Dr. Drew Pinksy approach. He said it's none of his kids' business if he did or didn't do drugs and as far as they're concerned, he never did. I don't believe parents have to be completely open and honest with their kids about everything. I don't believe parents should be their kids' best friends. The kids most likely have an assortment of friends who're good and bad influences. It's the parents' job to be a good influence and guide their children towards becoming self sufficient, productive members of society. I used to sneak into clubs when I was underage. Yup, I had a fake ID. Nope, I wasn't interested in drinking. Just wanted to see the bands. Would I share that bit of info with my children? Nope, just like I wouldn't tell them when I lost my virginity or any variety of other things that will stay in the vault!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My Goodness, but everybody is just so very, very untainted.......or at least that's what they choose to tell their children.

We raise our children in the way that we think is best, we put lots of info in their heads, and then about all we can do is sit back and hope that some of it sunk in....And Then Comes College!!!!!

I'm sure they tell us what they think we want to hear/can handle, too.
    This game has been going on for years and years!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm not sure I agree with Dr. Pinksy. Although I wouldn't tell my children every stupid little thing I did, I believe that they deserve to hear the truth. Children, teenagers are not stupid. They might not have a hard time believing I never did drugs, but they won't believe my husband didn't. I believe they'll learn more from hearing the truth from my husband (yes he smoked pot, did no hard drugs, had a bad experience, then quit right after) and he'll gain their trust and respect.

My Goodness, but everybody is just so very, very untainted.......or at least that's what they choose to tell their children.
    Trust me, I'm not untainted, I've had my moments, just not with drugs. Oh, who am I kidding, I was a boring goody-two-shoes.
    Last edited by DesertRose; 06-25-2007 at 10:02 PM.

lei
    FORT Fogey

I wish my parents had been more honest with me about their (minor, past) drug usage. As a smart teen I saw right through them, and their hypocrisy drove me towards being more rebellious and secretive. We talked it all out years later and it was very healing for us all.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Some of the best times of your life will be when you can talk openly and honestly with your parents about lots of different subjects. It is very freeing, and it feels good.....of course we are talking about adult children and their parents, too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I Is Stephanie

Well I dont know, I mean, from my standpoint, when the parents are almost definitely lying, it makes me feel like they think I'm stupid, I know both of them well enough to know that they weren't always clean. I'm not saying that they should tell me everything, I'm not even saying that they should tell me anything. I'm just thinking that maybe it would be better to know nothing then to be faced with something that isn't true. And seriously, if the 80s were half as bad as people say they were, theres no shame in anything they did.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

Well, I've never done pot, but mr. gracie did when he was in the army in Vietnam before I met him. The way he tells it, they were all smoking and getting high one night when he went out to relieve someone at sentry post. He found him dead, his throat was slit. When they checked all the sentries were dead but one. It kind of took the buzz off real quick and I don't think any of his platoon smoked after that. He says they all counted themselves lucky that night. As for me, my kids and son-in-law laugh cause I don't even have a clue about what it looks or smells like and as far as I know, I've never been around pot. I'm probably one of the few.
    Last edited by gracie; 06-26-2007 at 12:18 AM.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2451568;
    I'm actually one of those nerds who never did any drugs--not even pot. I just never wanted to. But if I did, I'd probably go by the Dr. Drew Pinksy approach. He said it's none of his kids' business if he did or didn't do drugs and as far as they're concerned, he never did. I don't believe parents have to be completely open and honest with their kids about everything. I don't believe parents should be their kids' best friends. The kids most likely have an assortment of friends who're good and bad influences. It's the parents' job to be a good influence and guide their children towards becoming self sufficient, productive members of society. I used to sneak into clubs when I was underage. Yup, I had a fake ID. Nope, I wasn't interested in drinking. Just wanted to see the bands. Would I share that bit of info with my children? Nope, just like I wouldn't tell them when I lost my virginity or any variety of other things that will stay in the vault!

C'mere Lo, Hold my hand and lets sing "Kumbaya".:Rofl I never had a conversation with my mom about drugs. I saw posters in school that said, "Don't do drugs" and that was apparently good enough for me. I'm not atracted to the idea of being high or losing that much control. I can be spontaneous and uninhibited, drugs don't have to play a part in that. I haven't ever finished a beer, if i've had cognac it was likely diluted, etc.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread