+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Both my MIL and FIL had made arrangements for their bodies to be donated to the local med school. My FIL died some time ago, and my MIL took care of his arrangements before we got there, but my MIL died just a few weeks ago so we've just been through it. They were both in their 90's, and it wasn't unexpected, and they'd both had good lives but were becoming more and more non compos mentis, but still it is sad enough that it was a great relief we didn't have to make any decisions, that they'd done it all for us.
    This particular state med school picked up her body at her caretaker's house about 6 hours after she died, and except for signing a few forms and a check that was it from our end. Why a check, you may ask? We had to pay the med school. Not much compared to a funeral of course, but still several hundred dollars. Thought that might surprise some of you who think the med school should be glad to have a free body for their students--it did us--kind of the reverse of the days of body snatching and sales to med schools. I'm not sure if that is always the rule, you paying the med school, but it was here.
    Both my MIL and FIL had checked the boxes that they did NOT want the ashes returned to anyone so no scattering. We did have a nice memorial service at their church a month or so later when all the grandkids could make it.
    Personally I'm thinking cremation, and I've got a local mtn. top picked out at our family vacation home, that I"ve never been able to climb--want my kids (or grandkids if it's that long from now) to scatter some of them from there, so I can say I made it at last!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I don't often think of demise, however i think some selections from Sarah Mclachlan's "Surfacing" would fit the bill.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2449625;
    Pre-paying is a good idea. My father passed away recently. He had talked to the mortician about what he wanted, but didn't pay. The only way we got away with not paying for 6 weeks is that they were friends. Most funeral homes want the money up front, and there was no way we could have done that.
    I just talked to my friend about why she doesn't recommend prepaying and she said she's heard horror stories about prepaying for your funeral and then by the time you need it (e.g. 10, 20 years on whenever later--'cause none of us really know when we're going to die), some of the funeral homes have gone out of business/bankruptcy. She also brought up a good point that you can get an estimate for how much that funeral will cost, set that money aside in a CD/annuity and by the time you need it, even if the costs are up there's a good chance you've made a similar amount in interest etc. Not sure what we'll do. My father is elderly and sick, so it's probably not a bad idea to prepay for his and get it all taken care of. My mother is still healthy and not as old as he is, so not sure what they want to do there. I'm sure they want to be buried next to each other though so may as well buy two plots.

I think for Mr. Lane and myself, we will have it specified what type of services we want...but we don't know where we want to retire so I can't see hiring a funeral home for us at this point. Oh who knows--ugh! Too many decisions...

I caught this while channel-hopping. I have no idea of the movie's title. James Earl Jones starred as a preacher, and delivered the

Best.Funeral.Ever.

"Henry Jones was a worthless drunk. He went around town daring everyone to slit his throat. Last week, somebody finally obliged him. He lived like a dog, he died like a dog. Undertaker, claim the body!"
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always loved a funeral that makes you laugh! It just seems like such an appropriate and true celebration. There may be a few tears, but the laughter just seems right. It's times like this that one may be sorry that they had only one child...like me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2449678;
    I caught this while channel-hopping. I have no idea of the movie's title. James Earl Jones starred as a preacher, and delivered the

Best.Funeral.Ever.

"Henry Jones was a worthless drunk. He went around town daring everyone to slit his throat. Last week, somebody finally obliged him. He lived like a dog, he died like a dog. Undertaker, claim the body!"

That was from The Road to Freedom: the Vernon Johns Story (1994) Jones played the Rev vernon Johns

The Vernon Johns Story (1994) (TV)

This is must see for those who are unfamiliar with heroes of the Civil Rights Movement prior to Brown v. the Board of Education and Martin Luther King, Jr. James Earl Jones powerfully portrays a man with all of the courage of Martin Luther King, Jr., but with a more blunt and direct approach. The film masterfully shows how a leader like Dr. King and those who worked with him would have not been as effective had it not been for leaders like Dr. Johns, who were willing to "push the envelope". I teach Social Studies at Southern Nash High School in Bailey, North Carolina and I use this film regularly in class and get the best response to it of any of the films I show. In a film career that has featured numerous brilliant performances by Mr. Jones, I believe that this is his best work. The supporting cast of veteran actors Mary Alice, the late Joe Seneca, and a newcomer at the time, Nicole Leach, is top notch and they play effectively off of Jones.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Thanks, Gabriel! I'll keep an eye out for it, and try to catch the whole thing.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

gabriel, never knew you were a teacher. God Bless You!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2449684;
    I've always loved a funeral that makes you laugh! It just seems like such an appropriate and true celebration. There may be a few tears, but the laughter just seems right. It's times like this that one may be sorry that they had only one child...like me.
    You'd have had a good time at my parents then as there was a lot of laughter. My dad was huge practical joker and his favorite was the can of nuts you opened and the snake pops out. We did that to the can with the ashes so when my brother opened it to scatter them, a snake popped out. He was surprised, but EVERYONE laughed and he even told me dad would have been proud. He had tied exploded poppers to my car door so when I opened it to get in after the service, the damn things exploded and scared the poop out of me. So we both pulled stuff on each other at the services and it was really funny and my parents would have loved it.

I delivered my friends eulogy last year and even though I had tears in my eyes and my voice shaking, I did get a few laughs because of some of the things I said about my friend. But he loved to laugh and have a good time and his service was truly a celebration of life and filled with funny stories and laughter.

And that's what I want. I hate those that are tear jerking or the sermon trying to convert you to that religion. I even went to one where the minister had the NERVE to say that he wasn't sure if the deceased was going to heaven. WHAT??? Now there's some real comfort to the family and this man had pre-teen kids, which made it particularly sad, but to tell the kids, I'm not sure your dad is going to heaven, but you all listen up because I can tell you a sure fire way for the rest of you to get to heaven. I have never wanted to get up and leave in the middle of a service as badly as I did that one. It was horrid and WRONG.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

When my "father-in-law" died...he had ditched his family so long ago, and moved away and started a new life (it was, totally, shameful), his original family took on his funeral and burial (I sure wouldn't have!), they had the service in this little, bitty section of the funeral home....I mean, like maybe a large closet. Here we all sat, and this woman walked up to sing a song....she actually grabbed a microphone!!! I got the giggles so badly, that I cannot even begin to describe it!! I lowered my head and covered my face so that no one could tell that I was not crying. It was pretty convincing, unless you noticed that my nose and eyes weren't red! It was a trip!

+ Reply to Thread