+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6753Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by gracie;2449246;
    I know what you mean about songs bringing smiles at a funeral. When my father died we played "Happy Trails" by Roy Rogers and everyone left with a smile on their face. My choice is "Spirit in the Sky".
    Well if I do die before any of my family (I'm the youngest & last Thank God) and they decide to have some type of service when the can gets put in the niche it's going to have to last a long time because I can't decide which song so I think they will have to choose among the 41 hours of Dean Martin or play it all, not to mention the Glenn Miller, Richie Valens, Ricky Nelson, Bette Midler. Seriously though there won't be anyone around that will know me so I really don't have to think about it. My best friend is just going to put Mona & Joeys cremains with mine and have them lock us up.
    Last edited by just1paul; 06-23-2007 at 07:47 AM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Well I have chosen to open with "You Can't Always Get What you Want", then progress to "Freebird" when my ashes are actually scattered or dumped in the river and then end with "Smalltown" by John Mellencamp. I was born in a small town and that song has always felt like it was written about "my" smalltown. (and I had the Freebird idea for years, before the movie: Elizabeth town came out, but I did steal the Rollling Stones song from the movie The Big Chill and its always been my favorite song even before that movie came out though")

I may throw in "Let it Be" and I've thought about "Funeral for a Friend" by Elton John and either "Rebel" or "Southern Accents" both by Tom Petty.

I have it pretty much planned out and its NOT going to be sad.

My parents was NOT sad. We made it a celebration of their life with photos, memorabilia, stories about them and then we had a BBQ afterwards and that is exactly what they wanted.
    I don't care what is served at "my" party as long as there are margaritas for everyone!

My parents were wonderful dancers and my fondest memory of them is that they usually always danced when we went anywhere. They could clear the dance floor. "Their" song was "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zchvago. "Somewhere my love......". We played that when we scattered their ashes. I heard that song the other day on a show and actually got tears in my eyes. It's been ages since I heard that song.

My only regret is that I've planned such a great time and I'm not going to be there!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My only regret is that I've planned such a great time and I'm not going to be there!
    Have a rehearsal every year until the big event
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2449375;
    Have a rehearsal every year until the big event
    What a fantastic solution! Thanks Newf!

So everyone, want to come over and BBQ and have some Margarita's and listen to Freebird???

(Um, several of you will have to put aside your dislike of the Florida Gators as I do have a lot of memorabilia around and as its going to also be at my funeral, it naturally figures it should be at my rehearsals too! )

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I guess I'm the oddball here because I don't want to be cremated and I surely don't want my body donated to science!

I am an organ donor but my family (and my drivers license) knows, I'm not donating my eyes! Sorry! I know I'm blind as a freakin' bat but there's something about not having my eyes that freaks me out!

I want to be buried near my dad....there's enough plots for my mom, me and my brother (if we should decide to be buried there).

I've always said that I want Garth Brooks "The Dance", Elvis's "Memories" and "How Great Thou Art" and Mercy Me's "I can Imagine" played at my funeral....if I'm still fairly young when I die, I want to be buried in jeans and tennis shoes because that's what I basically live in!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2449239;
    My parents did, years ago, pre-plan their funerals and bought their cemetery plots. I know they felt better after doing this, knowing that when the time comes, everything is already picked out.
    A friend of mine advised me to pre plan, but don't pre pay for the funeral. I haven't had a chance to ask her why not pre pay, but do you all have any advice? I understand the pre planning (I want this casket/urn/graveside services etc.), but why not the pre paying? I thought that would take care of everything before the time. But is the rationale that the funeral home won't take as good care of you if the services are already paid for? I'll let you know her answer when she gets back to me...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2449431;
    A friend of mine advised me to pre plan, but don't pre pay for the funeral. I haven't had a chance to ask her why not pre pay, but do you all have any advice? I understand the pre planning (I want this casket/urn/graveside services etc.), but why not the pre paying? I thought that would take care of everything before the time. But is the rationale that the funeral home won't take as good care of you if the services are already paid for? I'll let you know her answer when she gets back to me...
    Pre-paying typically locks you into a price and I think its a good decision as funeral costs rise like everything else. My parents pre-paid for their cremation and they actually saved several hundred dollars by the time they needed the service. (hmm, could be why I had so many problems, but don't think so, I think that I was just dealing with a total idiot)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: Have any of you planned a funeral?

I always thought I'd want "November Rain" (by Guns 'n Roses) played at my funeral ... but I think it could be too depressing... and too long (the song, I mean!).

I, too, would like to think that the survivors could celebrate my life rather than mourn my death.

Pre-paying is a good idea. My father passed away recently. He had talked to the mortician about what he wanted, but didn't pay. The only way we got away with not paying for 6 weeks is that they were friends. Most funeral homes want the money up front, and there was no way we could have done that.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2449410;
    I am an organ donor but my family (and my drivers license) knows, I'm not donating my eyes! Sorry! I know I'm blind as a freakin' bat but there's something about not having my eyes that freaks me out!
    No need to apologize, it's still your body and that's a pretty common phobia.

I want people to laugh at my funeral. I never gave much thought to the music. Maybe "Hit the Road Jack" or "Thank God and Greyhound Your Gone" would give 'em a laugh.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread