+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4533Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2448519;
    They had the ashes ready on time. And then they wanted to know if we wanted the steel rods that had been in my mom's back (she had scoliosis and several surgeries for it, one to insert 2 rods attached to her spine).
    Yeah, I'll put those on the fireplace mantel. Well, maybe others would want that stuff, but I was a little grossed out by the thought of it. I told them to dispose of them properly that I did not want them.
    Good grief. I had two screws taken out of my left leg when I was 12 (they were put in when I broke the bones at the age of 7), and I probably would have loved to have them then. But now that I'm older, I don't think I'd want to have (or my family to have) the three plates from my neck after I die. They are shaped like dog bones, though, so now that I think about it, maybe they could make dog tags out of them.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Oh, MRD, you make me laugh. That comment about the BBQ grill is exactly the sort of thing I'd blurt out, too. Then would come the gentle hand of my husband guiding me out of the room .
    I don't want a fuss made when I die, either. However, I just finished reading a book called Stiff, the Secret Lives of Cadavers by Mary Roach. At the end of the book, she writes about how since funerals are for the living not the dead, we the "dead" should try to understand if our wishes are not carried out because they are to emotionally difficult for our survivors. She was specifically talking about donating our bodies to research - that if the survivors know what happens to the bodies, they might not be able to handle that being done to mom or dad. So, if my sons or husband decide that a "green" burial isn't for them, I guess I won't haunt them or anything. After reading this book, I'm mulling over the idea of not just organ donation, but the whole enchilada anyway.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I've read that book too, criicketeen; it was very interesting.
    In my Living Will, I do specify that any and all usable parts of my body should be used for whatever purposes they are needed for, and if there is anything left, it should be cremated. I'm not sure what I want done with the ashes, though, I'd just as soon have 'em flushed, but that could be traumatic for someone. I thing it would be hilarious, though...gather everyone in the biggest bathroom they could find, give each person of the small group in attendance a little scoop of ash, have them say a few words, tell a joke, take a drink and fluuush...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I always tell my hubby that if I die before him, I want my ashes to sit on the mantle or a nice side table. I plan on haunting him until he joins me..

I think I might like to have my ashes, in all seriously, tossed into Niagara Falls at sunset.

The space shuttle Atlantis landed at Edwards Air Force base today, and my God, there was no doubt when that happened. My entire house rocked (not this kind of but you know what I mean). I thought maybe a car had rammed us, and Howard took off like a bat out of hell heading for some place to tuck his huge body. We're not even that close to it - I can't imagine what it was like for those who live nearby.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2449062;
    The space shuttle Atlantis landed at Edwards Air Force base today, and my God, there was no doubt when that happened. My entire house rocked (not this kind of but you know what I mean). I thought maybe a car had rammed us, and Howard took off like a bat out of hell heading for some place to tuck his huge body. We're not even that close to it - I can't imagine what it was like for those who live nearby.
    My sister's cats go for the 'fall out shelter' when it even thunderstorms, so it's likely a good thing they don't live anywhere near you!

There are fireworks set off at the end of my pier both on New Year's Eve and Fourth of July. The first year I had my cat, she had a lengthy discussion with me about the barbaric practices of human beings during times of celebration. Since then, there's been so much construction around us, she doesn't even bat an eye.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

MRD

I actually did some research about donating your body to a medical school and if you do, it has to have organs intact, but they will cremate the body and return the ashes to your loved ones when they are finished with it. I have actually considered this and who knows, I may just do it, but I'm missing a few organs now, so they may not want it. But it is for a worthwhile cause and both my husband and daughter wouldn't have a problem as both feel as I do that its a waste of money to spend so much on a funeral. We tend to agree that its for the living anyway and if they are fine with what I want, then I don't care about the rest.
    We went grocery shopping tonight and that song "take me to the river, dump me in the water" came on and my daughter says: "hey mom, this would be a better song for you when we scatter your ashes than Freebird!" Yes, I have a morbid family that talks about this stuff and jokes about it.

I once jokingly told my dad when he was being a pain in the butt that if he didn't watch out, his "burial at sea" would be via the toilet bowl!

When we lived in Florida, the space shuttle landing would rock the house and we were on the west coast and it landed on the other side of the state But it usually comes across from west to east. You'd get 2 sonic booms (one from the chase plane) and the dogs would go bananas and shake (like it was a thunderstorm or fireworks). We had friends that installed and did maintenence on pool pumps and they would ALWAYS get called: "our pool pump just blew up!" And they'd tell them : "no, the space shuttle just landed". And people would argue with them, so they'd go out, charge for a service call and show them the pool pump had NOT blown up.
    And we were also not that close to where it landed, but it would still be VERY loud!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

My grandfather and his wife donated their bodies to the medical school for anatamy classes. It was about six months before we got the ashes back and buried them. I'v always told my kids they could do whatever they want with my ashes. Flushing is fine with me or divide them three ways and each of the kids can do their own thing with them. It won't matter to me any more. I just can't see spending the amount of money it costs to be buried in a cemetary and get a headstone. No one will be around in fifty years who cares about it, so why do it? mr. gracie is getting spread over home plate at the local ball field or thrown off the pier at Avon, NC. One's closer, but I wouldn't mind the trip to the beach for the other.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

All this talk about death reminds me of a story my sister told us last week. Her husband died 4 years ago this coming August; she became a young widow with two young daughters. The oldest daughter turned 5 the day after he had a bone marrow transplant and the youngest turned 4 two days before he finally died four months later. The girls were really way too young to comprehend just what was going on at the time, as he had been sick for over a year before finally getting the transplant.

Anyway, my BIL is buried in a cemetery and has a headstone. For Father's Day, my sister took the girls to the cemetery so they could leave cards and flowers for their father. The girls don't mind going to the cemetery because, as they tell it, they like to talk to all of Daddy's friends.....the people who are buried next to him! I guess they really don't know any different as going to the cemetery has become such a normal part of their lives.

I know when my BIL died, my sister and my father went to the funeral home and made all the arrangements. It was an education in and of itself, all the not-so-little charges for this and that.

My parents did, years ago, pre-plan their funerals and bought their cemetery plots. I know they felt better after doing this, knowing that when the time comes, everything is already picked out.

I also know a lot of people who really plan on going out with a big party. They have CDs made up with the songs they want played at their funerals and many of those songs are going to bring a huge smile to the faces of their friends.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

I know what you mean about songs bringing smiles at a funeral. When my father died we played "Happy Trails" by Roy Rogers and everyone left with a smile on their face. My choice is "Spirit in the Sky".
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

+ Reply to Thread