+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6257Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I don't suppose any of the rental companies offered to clean the fountain, for a fee? If they didn't, seems like that would be a really good idea.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Have any of you planned a funeral?

Sorry to switch the topic and make it a downer...but have any of you already bought your cemetery plots and arranged with a funeral home to handle your services (or the services for a loved one)? Also, have any of you heard of using "brokers" to do this. A cousin told me that they used a broker when their grandmother passed away and that the broker not only handled many of the details, but that he saved them money 'cause he was able to get things at a lower cost. I have never heard of a broker...

Anyhow, any input would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get this taken care of for some family members so that WHEN the time comes, we're not all just too grief stricken to handle the matters in a sensible way.

As for me, I'd just like to be cremated when I die. Sprinkle me anywhere. I don't really care! I do know that Mr. Lane and I need to get a will written out as well as a living will. Ugh...getting old sucks!

Thanks in advance to all for any tips. (And if there's already a thread that this would fit better in, please point me to it. I couldn't find anything else appropriate, but I didn't want to start a new thread for such a depressing subject. Thanks again!)

I want to be bronzed
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2448098;
    I want to be bronzed
    As well you should be!

Congrats Desert on the new baby!

I have no idea about brokers for a funeral, but I highly recommend using a broker when buying a home.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2448098;
    I want to be bronzed
    Of course, but only in your Speedo.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I wish more companies would use USPS. It's probably cheaper, anyway.
    It once took me a month to get a package from them, one whole month and they werent even apologetic. All the delivery systems are unfortunately flawed, and all at the expense of the customer.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Re: Have any of you planned a funeral?

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2447870;
    Sorry to switch the topic and make it a downer...but have any of you already bought your cemetery plots and arranged with a funeral home to handle your services (or the services for a loved one)? Also, have any of you heard of using "brokers" to do this. A cousin told me that they used a broker when their grandmother passed away and that the broker not only handled many of the details, but that he saved them money 'cause he was able to get things at a lower cost. I have never heard of a broker...

Anyhow, any input would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get this taken care of for some family members so that WHEN the time comes, we're not all just too grief stricken to handle the matters in a sensible way.

As for me, I'd just like to be cremated when I die. Sprinkle me anywhere. I don't really care! I do know that Mr. Lane and I need to get a will written out as well as a living will. Ugh...getting old sucks!

Thanks in advance to all for any tips. (And if there's already a thread that this would fit better in, please point me to it. I couldn't find anything else appropriate, but I didn't want to start a new thread for such a depressing subject. Thanks again!)

Hmmm a plot broker, that's something interesting. As for my arrangements, I always said that since I am the last one, I didn't want anything and I should be cremated and disposed of, but about 4 or 5 years ago my parents bought a niche for 4 urns for themselves, me and my uncle. Our names are already on them with only the year of death to be put in when we die. Of course I have made arrangements with a friend of mine who is younger than me, that before I get put away, he will open up Monas urn, and Joey's (provided Joey goes before me)and put them both with me, then turn it over to the cemetery for placement. I too always thought it was a depressing subject but it is a necessity.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Re: Have any of you planned a funeral?

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2447870;

I've never heard of using a broker, but I do know from experience its MUCH cheaper to make arrangements in advance. Even the cremation ones Lois.
    My parents had pre-paid for their cremation and it ended up saving a LOT of money. My grandmother did not make any prior arrangements and it cost a fortune. The funeral home charged us $600 to transport her 3 blocks from the hospital to the funeral home. When I found that out, I said, had we known, I'd have picked her up and driven her over there myself. It was those kinds of charges that got to me on the bill. I could understand some of the charges, but the $500 here and the $600 there and $200 for her hair and makeup? Ridiculous, she never paid that when she was alive!

Anyway, I know that when you have to make decisions after someone has died, its much harder, you are more emotional and the funeral homes play on that in my opinion. If things are set up before hand, then I think you save yourself money and grief. My other grandmother had set up ALL the arrangements years prior. She even had the funeral holding a dress for her! She had picked out the service, what flowers she wanted, what songs, who the paulbearers were to be. I mean, EVERY detail. We basically only had to show up.

As for cemetary lots. My family has 40 of them. I would be most happy to sell a few, but you'd have to be buried in Arcadia, Florida. Why 40? Apparantly many, many years ago when my great-grandfather was mayor of the new city of Arcadia, they were trying to get a city cemetary going and had no money. So several of the business men in town, bought large amounts of plots to help get it going. Apparantly we never re-sold ours. There is a large family plot with a nice border, stones, etc. and lots of room inside that for those of us that want to be there (I am going to be cremated, not put in with the rest of the family), but outside the family plot, are about 30 other lots. And to try to re-sell them now is going to be a HUGE hairy hassle as we would have to go back to my great-grandfather's probate, and everyone that was a decendent of his has a claim to them and most of those have died, so we'd need all that and then all their decendents and it turns out that there are about 20 of us that would have claim to them and we'd all have to agree to sell and then find buyers, so its not worth it to me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks, everyone for the input on the chocolate fountain - Marley, I really feel for you, trying to clean it in your formal clothes!
    I guess I'll save it for a special occasion and if it is too hard to clean, I'll be bad and pitch it.

Lois, I've never heard of a broker, but it sounds like a good idea to me. When my dad died, my mom went ahead and bought the plot next to his and had her name put on the marker with just the date to fill in. Honestly, I didn't feel that she (we) was taken advantage of at any point in the process.

My own preference is for a "green" burial plot. I have read there are a few cemetaries where you can be buried in a plain pine box with no embalming or fancy fol-der-ol. That's for me. The good Lord meant for us to be fertilizer and I'm not one to argue with Him.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2448449;
    Thanks, everyone for the input on the chocolate fountain - Marley, I really feel for you, trying to clean it in your formal clothes!
    I guess I'll save it for a special occasion and if it is too hard to clean, I'll be bad and pitch it.

Lois, I've never heard of a broker, but it sounds like a good idea to me. When my dad died, my mom went ahead and bought the plot next to his and had her name put on the marker with just the date to fill in. Honestly, I didn't feel that she (we) was taken advantage of at any point in the process.

My own preference is for a "green" burial plot. I have read there are a few cemetaries where you can be buried in a plain pine box with no embalming or fancy fol-der-ol. That's for me. The good Lord meant for us to be fertilizer and I'm not one to argue with Him.

I just saw something on "green" cemetaries. There are no headstones, no markers, just a beautiful green field. I thought that was very interesting.

I plan to be cremated like my parents and have my ashes scattered in the same river we scattered my parents. HOWEVER, I want it to be said at my "celebration of life" (I'm NOT having a sad, teary funeral) that now that I've jumped off the river bridge, I fully invite all my friends to do the same because I had to hear for years from my mom "if everyone else jumped off the river bridge, would you?". So I figure that this is the opportune time to see if that saying is REALLY true!

Cricketeen, I'm not saying all places take advantage after a death, but I've heard too many stories of people being taken advantage of in their time of grief. One father of a friend of mine, was GUILTED into buying a nicer and more expensive casket because the funeral director said: "doesn't she DESERVE something nicer?" The grown son was with his father and he said the tactic really upset him, but that his father who was grieving the loss of his wife, said: "Oh yes, she does deserve something better" and forked out another $1000.

I had my own horrible experience with the cremation place, but it wasn't them trying to take advantage of me, but of some inappropriate remarks made when I had to go in and sign the final paperwork after my mom died.
    Believe it or not, the idiot had the audacity to remark about my mom's sex life. NO KIDDING! I stood up so fast, it knocked my chair over and got in the woman's face and said: "she was a 68 year old WIDOW, what the hell do you think?!!" And then stormed out of the building and refused to go back in until they had removed this idiot from my face and let me deal with someone who comported themself more appropriately. I ended up getting a written apology from this idiot, but it was extremely upsetting and totally inappropriate and I cannot fathom why this woman even thought that it was ok to say what she said. In fact, I can't think of ANYPLACE that those remarks would have been appropriate.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread