+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I was invited to a 60th wedding anniversary party a few years ago. What I enjoyed most about it was that they had her dress on a manniqiun and had their scrapbook with photos of their life and the printed napkins and matchbooks they had used at the reception and other momentos.

I am a sucker for momentos and memorabilia and the dress was gorgeous. I like seeing how different the styles were. So we could all use our dresses (and Newf's flannel shirt) at later upcoming momentous birthdays or anniversaries (not Newf though on the anniversary) to display. Mine is a typical 80's style. It would get laughed out of the room today.

My dad was married before he married my mom. He got married right after WWII and silk was still in short supply. He had managed to come home with his parachute (he was a navy pilot) and the bride's mother made the white silk into her daughters wedding gown. I've seen the pictures of it and it was gorgeous. I have always thought that was such a cool thing (and secretly wished it had been MY mother who got the parachute wedding gown)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

This was my bargain wedding dress. I thought $300 for a brand new dress was just wonderful! Especially after I got a look at the prices of some of the dresses I tried on...

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2442787;
    This was my bargain wedding dress.
    Wow...you made a beautiful bride! Simply stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2442803;
    Wow...you made a beautiful bride! Simply stunning!
    Aww, thank you! I just wish I still had that waist line....

My wedding gown cost about $300-$350 back in 1980. It's preserved and boxed and sitting on the floor in the attic....I think! LOL Still, I doubt either of my daughters will like it enough to wear it.

One friend who got married a week after we did wore her husband's grandmother's wedding gown. She had it cleaned by a place that specialized in restoring older clothing and I guess it looked fine. So all you moms with sons, maybe the future daughter-in-law will want to wear it. Just a thought!

Our wedding cake was included in the price of the package we got at the banquet hall. I don't have the plastic bride and groom cake topper anymore, I think one of the kids must have broken it or something. It really didn't bother me since I really wanted the bride to be a redhead and she was a brunette!

My flowers were real and by the time we returned from our honeymoon, they were all dried. They eventually fell apart and got tossed into the trash.

My mother, who by no means is crafty, chopped up her wedding gown and used it on the outside of the baby bassinette. She got a lot of use out of the bassinette, as she had 7 kids in 9-1/2 years! Then she let one of her friends "borrow" the bassinette and the friend never returned it! I would have loved to have had the bassinette when my children were wee ones.

Re: My wedding dress...and I got attacked by a bird today!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2442737;
    And this has nothing to do with that but I got attacked by a bird today! I saw a bird and then in like a nanosecond later it was clawing at my head. I freaked out. My husband laughed when he heard me scream 'cause he hadn't realized it had made contact--he thought it was just swooping above me.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poor Lois! I bet that bird had a baby just out of the nest somewhere nearby..that doesn't help much does it?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

you looked gorgeous kat!

My bouquet was real too - it was destroyed when my maid of honour and a friend's date ripped it apart on the dancefloor during the toss. It didn't help the date any.. he broke up with her and my maid of honour still got married 1 year and 20 days later.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

My bouquet was fake. I still have it...sitting on my dresser. Collecting dust. I have my wedding topper, too. It is ceramic and I hunted everywhere for a blonde bride and brunette groom. It's sitting in my 'fix it' basket because the grooms head broke off!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: My wedding dress...and I got attacked by a bird today!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2442899;
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poor Lois! I bet that bird had a baby just out of the nest somewhere nearby..that doesn't help much does it?
    Thanks queenie! Actually, when I realized it was most likely a mama bird, I knew it wasn't trying to hurt me so much as it was trying to protect her babies. But it was still shocking! And then I thought the bird was following me...

I held on to my wedding dress until the official divorce from my husband (we were separated for 3 years before actually getting divorced)...that same day it went with a bunch of other stuff that I didn't want anymore off to the Goodwill donation wagon. It wasn't a real wedding dress, just a flowy ivory skirt and embelished jacket, so hopefully somebody could get it for a good price and use it. My flowers were silk and I still have a couple of them saved, but my family took my main boquet and put it on my Grandfather's grave not long after I got married. I loved that idea that they could be used to share the wedding with him even though he was no longer with us.

+ Reply to Thread